My Tune Of The Week 1

JoRiemer

In the last year I explored a lot of Danish and North German tunes. Wonderful music that is working in the same style as English ceilidh music.

So my project is:

Learning every week a new of these English, Danish or North German tunes by heart.

Here is the link for the first week played on my Chemnitzer:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zyuohlagww0h3ik/Trekant%20No15-%20Den%20gamle%20Mand.m4a?dl=0

Here is my "Tune of the week".

The title is "The Carpenter's Bench". It was widely spread in North Germany. The dance group in Heide dances a version from the South of Lüneburger Heide, often with children but then the lyrics are forbidden.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b5urqgb5b2l6f84/Die%20Hobelbank.m4a?dl=0

I play it on a Duet Concertina. I have the feeling that it was composed for a onerow. It makes sense because the A- and D-part are composed on the correct score on push, but the B- and C- part in the "wrong" key on pull. It sounds very good on onerow then.

Here is my "Tune of the week".

The title is "The Carpenter's Bench". It was widely spread in North Germany. The dance group in Heide dances a version from the South of Lüneburger Heide, often with children but then the lyrics are forbidden.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b5urqgb5b2l6f84/Die%20Hobelbank.m4a?dl=0

I play it on a Duet Concertina. I have the feeling that it was composed for a onerow. It makes sense because the A- and D-part are composed on the correct score on push, but the B- and C- part in the "wrong" key on pull. It sounds very good on onerow then.

I like it. I like it.

Can you post the dots Please??

Jake

Hi Jake,

here are the dots, unfortunately handwritten. But most of the dance groups in North Germany use mp3 for dancing. I have the possibility as live musician to learn the melodies again and put them on the dance feet. For that I have everything handwritten to stay flexible.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4hnheuxnc86i8z7/Hobelbank.pdf?dl=0

Have fun.

JoRiemer

Edited by JoRiemer

Hi Jo,

"The Carpenter's Bench"... what a fun tune and I love your bouncy dancing style on the Duet Concertina. Sounds great!

But... what about those "interesting" chords you are playing in the B section? They are not what you have written down in your score. Where did they come from?

here are the dots, unfortunately handwritten...For that I have everything handwritten to stay flexible.

Nice tune!

I can't sight-read, and need an ABC-generated MIDI file to really get at a new tune. Here is my

attempt at an ABC version. I wasn't sure I was reading the hand-written score correctly, so I

made a couple of very slight alterations to get the timing right (I think I got it almost right...).

X:1

T:Die Hobelbank

%% partsbox 1

% Stolen from Jo Reimer's TOTW, c.net Jan '17. RJH.

M:2/4

L:1/8

K:G

P:A

|: z | "G"BB dd | "D"cc/B/ A2 | fd ef | "G"g/f/g/a/ b2 |

"G"BB dd | "D7"cc/B/ A2 | "D7"fd ef | "G"g2 z :|

P:B

|: "D"A | d2 d/e/f/g/ | "D7"a3 f | "G"g>f g>f | g2 a/g/f/e/ |

"D"d2 d/e/f/g/ | "D7"a3 f | "G"gd "D7"ef | "G"g2 z :|

P:C

|: B | "D7"cd/c/ AB | cd/c/ AB | "C"ed cB | "D"A3 B |

"D7"cd/c/ AB | "C"cd/c/ Ae | "D7"dc BA | "G"G2 z :|

P:D

|: B | "Am"cB AG | "D"FG AB | "Am"cB AG | "D"A3 B |

"C"cd/c/ AB | cd/c/ Ae | dc BA | G2 z :|

Roger.

Edited by lachenal74693

Lovely tunes as always Jo - but how about some of your great songs too? Our family song throughout 2016 was your Gute Nacht auf Wiedersehn Marie, the smallest one of us often had to be restrained from singing it more than once on every long cycle ride...

Hope to meet up again this year.

Adrian

• 2 weeks later...

Hi to all,

thank you for your comments. The chords I will give you the next days.

My system for this music is :

Learn it by heart, play it on the feet, never play it the same way again. So it changes a bit.

Hi Adrian,

there will be songs, too. Thank you to remind me. I always love to see your family. Unfortunately I won't be on this year Concertina meeting because I run the "Sessionhaus" in Felsberg from 28.-30.4. People from all over Germany and England will come to play English folk music and from Germany and Scandinavia (www.sessionhaus.jimdo.de) The information for concertina meeting came too late. I am really sorry for that because I always love and enjoy your playing.

Greetings,

Jochen

This week 's tune: Föhringer Kreuzpolka

This week a tune from the island of Föhr. It's a very funny dance. Perhaps I play it a bit too slow, but while the last dance session I played too fast and everyone who still had a rest breath was angry with me.

Greetings,Jochen

https://www.dropbox.com/s/exrkwdxnps8pynm/F%C3%B6hringer%20Kreuzpolka.m4a?dl=0