Anglo Right Hand Cords

Kelteglow

Quite right. The Wheatstone 40 button is rather a different beast than the Jefferies 38 or 45. How to reconcile these? It seems beyond anything straightforward or universal as these are all discrete systems.

Edited by Jody Kruskal

My personal feeling is that to combine single letters, rather than a combination of digits and numbers might cause confusion when using chord symbols. I have had some blank faces in the past when adding A, B, C etc. to indicate sections and the person it was intended for has confused these for chord indications. It depends of course what program you use for editing, but it might be better to avoid any possible confusion here.

Another point perhaps worth mentioning is that the same button position on the RH, should ideally have the same indication as the corresponding one on the LH.

I recently had a look at the Jones tutor for the 40 button system and sadly there is no numbering at all - could we hear from some of the Wheatstone/Jones 40 system users? (There must be a lot more of you than of us!) How do you name your extras?

Adrian

Another point perhaps worth mentioning is that the same button position on the RH, should ideally have the same indication as the corresponding one on the LH.

That's an interesting question whose answer I don't have. I find it intuitive to say "the extra buttons on each side that the index/pointer finger plays should be named similarly" (hence my calling them "A" and "B") because they're in the corresponding place and played in the corresponding way, but this runs completely counter to the traditional "1a-5a,1-10" numbering which is read "left to right" on each side rather than "mirror image". (I've seen at least one C19 anglo tutor which does mirror the numbering of the basic 30 on the two sides which I find totally weird!)

To say "a button to the left of 1 would be called A, whether left side or right side" feels really unnatural to me in a gut feeling way even though in the abstract I find this discomfort to be illogical. Whereas to say "a button to the left of 1 would be called 1b, whether left side or right side" doesn't feel so bad. But that feels less easily expandable. What do you call a button to the left of right side 1a (as on a Dipper 36) or to the right of left side 5a? "1ab / 5ab", logically, but that feels odd to me. I suppose I could get used to anything though!

I agree, Adrian, that using straight-up letters is problematic because letters mean so many other things (like chord names, parts of tunes). It's one of several reasons I'm not all that content with the system I've been using and present it only as a contribution to the discussion and not out of any notion that it's a good one for us all to adopt (or even for me to keep!).

Apologies for continuing way off the topic of right hand chords...

Perhaps this numbering system might work for 38-button Jeffries Anglos? (See attached):

Starting with the core 20-button numbering of 1-10 on each side, and with the top rows of accidentals numbered 1a-5a on each side...

Since we already have extra buttons above labeled with an extra "a", how about labeling extra buttons to the side with an extra "b" (based on the nearest horizontal button on the row), and labeling extra buttons with a "c" if they are below the closest button?

​Above = "a"

Side = "b"

Below = "c"

And then just "Th" for the left hand thumb button since it's way different than the others.

45-button Jeffries Anglos have additional buttons only on that bottom row, so this system should work for them as well.

But whatever we end up deciding, let's please don't use all those crazy button numbers that are found on Chemnitzer concertinas (0/0, 1/0, 2/3, *, -, +, etc.)!

And for the 40-button Wheatstone - what to do since it has top rows of 6 and 7 buttons?

Gary

J38-Anglo-Keyboard.pdf

Edited by gcoover

Bringing the subject back to cords.I have started to learn the patterns necessary to produce R/H cords .Using these patterns ( 30 button layout ) also help with complimentary notes to the L/H cords .Also through setting them down on paper ( AS well as the main row C/Dm & G/D7 )I have now noticed that some of the same 3 notes pull give (as with the L/H ) one cord and then push gives another .So far R/H 2,6&7 Push = D . Pull = Em . 2a,1&2 pull =G Push = E 2,6&7 pull =D . Push =Am .Of course I like these because I only have to remember one pattern for two cords .Can you see any more ?

Edited by KelTekgolow