Tune Of The Month For July 2014: Packington's Pound

Jim Besser

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wendy, that is fantastic. Love it!

Wish I could watch you playing that foot bass.

Sarah

Thanks, Sarah. I'll try to make a decent video sometime. I'm lucky there wasn't one of this session.... I think I looked a bit like a struggling hermit crab on beach sand... I had things falling on the floor around me and everything. :blink:

Wendy, that is fantastic. Love it!

Wish I could watch you playing that foot bass.

Sarah

Thanks, Sarah. I'll try to make a decent video sometime. I'm lucky there wasn't one of this session.... I think I looked a bit like a struggling hermit crab on beach sand... I had things falling on the floor around me and everything. :blink:

However, your recording doesn't seem to suffer from that... :D

Did you play and record the foot bass and the Geordie simultaneously? At least it would be possible, wouldn't it? The bass appears to be such a great tool, love the sound, and you're making very effective use of it...

Best wishes - Wolf

Okay, here's so far:

http://box.com/PackingtonsPoundTOTM

It's difficult -- for me -- to record the foot bass just right. There's some extra noise.

This is of the foot bass and the Geordie baritone English.

I may end up re-doing this, but I'm busy so this may be it, for July!

My wife just called from the next room "Is that a bass pedally thing?".

I love it!

Hi all...

Yup, I did manage to get this recorded all 'as is,' no real edits, and both instruments were played together. I can't tell you how many tries it took me, though... maybe about 30? 50? I decided I didn't want to have to splice out anything, I just wanted one straight recording. So, that meant several attempts.

The bass pedally thing... yup, a real live "basse aux pieds", made by Harry Geuns. I am STILL kind of getting used to it, even though I've had it a while. So, even if the tune is simple, there are 4 main challenges, for me:

1 -- How well I actually know the tune, inside and out

2 -- The concertina goes one way

3 -- The foot bass goes another way

4 -- How recently have I been to the gym?

I have in fact been getting to the gym more often. Love it. Gotta "keep fighting back" -- (the sore back). :)

Yup, I did manage to get this recorded all 'as is,' no real edits, and both instruments were played together. I can't tell you how many tries it took me, though... maybe about 30? 50? I decided I didn't want to have to splice out anything, I just wanted one straight recording. So, that meant several attempts.

Brava! You know I really dig that "live" approach, and I always find it both challenging and rewarding to go for such a recording (in my case: self accompanied song). It's great that you were so successful with this one!

Hey, it's still just about July in this longitude. Packington's Pound has been an interesting way of rediscovering the Crane duet after a very long time away from it. I'm spending so much time sitting playing that I've renamed it Packing on t' Pounds (anag.)! https://soundcloud.com/jignatius-aeola/packingtons-pound

Wonderful interpretation, very nicely played. You got in right under the wire!

My first effort here was pretty rough, and I promised at the time I would make a better recording before the end of the month. In typical fashion, I've waited until the last minute, but here it is:

https://soundcloud.com/sqzbxr/packingtons2

Played AABB, twice through on my 1892 (estimated) Lachenal New Model extended treble concertina. Recorded on an iPhone 5s using TwistedWave.

Packington%27s%20Pound.jpg

My first effort here was pretty rough, and I promised at the time I would make a better recording before the end of the month. In typical fashion, I've waited until the last minute, but here it is:

https://soundcloud.com/sqzbxr/packingtons2

Played AABB, twice through on my 1892 (estimated) Lachenal New Model extended treble concertina. Recorded on an iPhone 5s using TwistedWave.

Very nice. Not many people can make the transition from Anglo to English, and you seem to have done it!

The following versions of Packington’s Pound constitute my first TOTM submission. (They are in fact my first recording ever.) As in the Julian Bream version, he being my original classical guitar hero dating back to the mid ‘70s, I first play the so-called anonymous version, followed by the Francis Cutting setting, recorded later and tacked on. Unlike Bream, I do not repeat the first version.

https://soundcloud.com/stephandp/ppfinal

The final cadence of the Cutting version kicks my butt a bit, but it’s August now and I wanted to move on.

I am playing my Hayden 52 button hybrid duet, made by Bob Tedrow.

Edited by Stephen Mills

Stephen,

The best way to link to a track on Soundcloud is to use one of the small buttons below the track (looks sort of like a box with an arrow), and not to copy

the URL from the top of the browser (which just directs me to /my/ stream).