7Mount Anglo

I assume you've seen their homepage

The instruments do look great, and German workmanship is usually at a high level, as witness Mercedes, Suttner, etc. ;)

I must admit I haven't seen - let alone played - any of their concertinas, though I've been intending to for some time. I often visit the Siebengebirge (the "Seven Mounts" of the company name), but unfortunalely the company is not in the Siebengebirge, it only has a view of the hills.

Cheers,

John

I had a look at their website, and they do look very well made.

My likes and dislikes, on first impression are firstly, the fretwork looks too "open" for my taste. It looks delicate, like a spider's web, and I'd be scared of breaking it or of stuff falling inside. That's just my visual impression, not a fact. I would ask for or choose the most robust-looking one that he does, if I was buying. Or buy a steel ended one and fit baffles.

The quality looks very good. I love the look of the walnut one. Reminds me of my Castagnari.

I don't like the shiny chrome buttons, or the red sleeves. Far too much red for me. (I have a similar setup on a Lachenal 30b, and find the buttons small and slippery). Nice brown or dark green sleeves would look better to my eyes..

One thing I actually dislike, is the maker's label, which seems to be totally out of character for something that is made in the image of a Victorian instrument. It looks more coca cola than concertina.

But overall, they look very desirable concertinas, made to a high standard, and my dislikes are just personal preferences, and probably not shared by others, and wouldn't stand in the way of me wanting one.

On the tone, they sound very quick and willing, and I get the impression that they would play fast and loud. And the action appears to be pretty silent. Not as wistful as an old Lachenal, but bright and bubbly and punchy. Maybe newness has something to do with the tone?

Anyway, overall, very nice.

I spotted one at a session at Whitby festival this year. Asked the owner about it,and he kindly let me have a play on it. It was a G/ D (which is what is mostly play) and felt/sounded good, but this was only a brief go. The owner was certainly very pleased with it.

Martin

I have owned one of these for 2 years. It's a C/G. I love it, sounds good and is easy to play. The keys are well positioned for my hands. The hand supports are padded in leather which I like. We met the maker, Ralf Schlimm, and were able to look at the way it was constructed and try playing a couple before buying.

Several people have asked to play mine and all have been very positive about it.

Helen

Prices are on their website: http://sevenmount.de

Oh yeh, I missed that. They look very competetive for the quality on offer.

They would definitely tempt me, if I was investing in a new one.

I have a feeling that they are aimed at people who play in sessions, and the open nature of the fretwork is in response to the demand for a loud instrument. You often see accordion and melodeon players playing with the grill off.

The steel ended fretwork is even more open than the wooden ones.

• 2 months later...

I picked up my new 7Mount G/D concertina from Ralf early in December. We were made very welcome at his home in Watchberg when I visited to collect the box with my family in tow while on a holiday staying with my son in Brussels.

Have been able to start playing in the new box when we returned from our European tour and must say that I am very impressed with the instrument. It looks really good and plays very well. Fast action and a wonderful sound, bright and clear especially when on the D row.

Its first outing at our weekly session in Stirling was a bit of a surprise to me. This session can be very hectic and noisy with usually several guitarists present along with quite a few fiddles and accordions. Most join in with a tune when it has been started by someone, even if not well known to them. A couple of weeks before Christmas, the first time I took the 7mount box along, I was asked to start a set of tunes. I decided to play a set of waltzes starting with a lovely tune written by a local fiddle player and teacher called "Rest and be Thankful", which I thought others in the room would know. To my surprise having got started I realised that the room had fallen silent and remained so while I played. This was so unusual that I could not get into the other tunes in the set.

When I finished received lots of lovely comments about the sound of the concertina and how nice it looked.

It was at this point that I realised that my gamble in buying an unseen or heard in person, new box was a success.

The only down side to the whole experience was the price increase since ordering due to the fall in the pounds value since the EU referendum. Even this has not changed my opinion that the 7Mount Concertina is a fine instrument obtainable in a reasonable period of time and good value for the money paid.

Would try a post some photographs of it if able to fathom out how to on this forum.

Would try a post some photographs of it if able to fathom out how to on this forum.

If you start a new thread, I think you then have the option of uploading photos. I don't know if you can upload more, after the first post.

Otherwise, you have to find an online photo storage program, store them online, and then get a link, which you can paste here. (or use the "image" button with your link)

You can either insert images that are already on-line or uploaded to an (image hosting) website by yourself by using the image tags and the URL of the images or use the 'attach files' option of the full posting window. In any post not just when you [post a new thread, upload space on the forum is limited.

• 1 year later...

I am a very happy owner of one of Ralf's Concertinas and i love mine so much. Fast action they have, playing of ornaments comes (almost) by itself. ;) I play mine for 1 1/2 years now, no problems with the open fretwork until now.