Virtual Session Site

Jane

I've gotten a lot out of that site, too. I don't really plan on playing out at a session anywhere, but, I just like knowing some of the songs, anyway.

I can't always use the computer at the same time that I may feel like playing, so I made a (rather unpro) cassette copy of a few of the sets that I was working on. I can play them when- and where- ever. ;)

You might also consider getting the "Amazing Slow Downer". Its a computer program that lets one slow down any music from CD (provided you have a CD player on your computer) or audio file. You can actually play along with your favorite musician! Since many tapes and older recordings may not be in pitch with your instrument, you can separately adjust pitch.

More importantly, it is a tool that lets you listen to a piece of music VERY slowly, allowing you to clearly hear the individual notes being played. So, in summary, you may adjust tempo without changing pitch, or adjust pitch without changing tempo, or both. You can also loop sections to either transcribe or memorize certain musical phrases. Altogether, this is a superb program that is quite inexpensive. Just search the web for Amazing Slow Downer.

I believe that others will offer their opinions about other programs that do the same thing (this is, after all, C-net). I only represent this program as a good one that has served me well.

keep squeezin'!

Just about the time I heard of that slow down program at C&F I picked up a cd toutor for whistle by McCullough which kept me busy for a year. I think I will probably go and give that program a whirl when I get a little better with my concertina (my new love). I've had it about 3 days and am still pretty dismal but I naturally went straight to my old buddies on the Virtual Session to try and hammer out a tune.

I'm sorry, this has completely spoilt my day. Virtual session on the BBC radio web site? You'd think they'd have a couple of English tunes in there, but no, it's all Irish. Aaaaagh!! Why do the English despise and ignore their own culture so much!

:( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Chris

Edited to warn people that the rhythmic thumping sound they can hear is me hitting my head against the monitor...

Edited by Chris Timson

I'm sorry, this has completely spoilt my day. Virtual session on the BBC radio web site? You'd think they'd have a couple of English tunes in there, but no, it's all Irish. Aaaaagh!! Why do the English despise and ignore their own culture so much!

Poor Chris,

Yesterday it was your queen and now it is the BBC... With two of these typical British institutions that you are not satisfied with, maybe emigration is an option :unsure:

What about Belgium??

What about Belgium??

I could do a lot worse, I know. Or Holland (I am 1/8 Dutch after all). But I remember back in the 70s going over to Amsterdam with the Earls of Essex Morris at the invitation of a Dutch dance team who performed dances from all over Europe, but not from the Netherlands. When asked why they said, "Oh, we haven't got any". So it seems a disregard of your own culture is not exclusively an English trait.

Chris

Edited to warn people that the rhythmic thumping sound they can hear is me hitting my head against the monitor...

Not a bodhran ?

I hadn't noticed the lack of English songs til you mentioned it. It's true there should be a lot of them in there. Nearly all the good Christmas songs are English ones as well as the swashbuckling sea shantys. I am still groping blindly, waiting for my basic book to arrive. :unsure:

You might also consider getting the "Amazing Slow Downer".

Hm, I may look into that...though, so far, I've just printed the music out and played it by myself very slowly until I was up to speed.

Pretty funny, when I first tried playing those tunes along with the 'Virtual Session.' I don't think I ever felt so 'left in the dust' in my entire life! Totally lost.

But, then, once I've 'got' the tune, it sticks, and no problem...I know it in my sleep (or, sorta).