Ebblewhite Concertinas

kosovel

Dear all,

I've been a regular reader of concertina.net posts since at least a year, but now i've stummbled upon a concertina manufacturer not yet (i think) discussed on this forum. It is called J.H. Ebblewhite, I've seen one in York one month ago and tried to do some web search but no luck.

Do you know anything regarding this manufacturer. The only thing i found was this:

Ebblewhite
John Henry Ebblewhite styled himself 'real Maker and Importer' and claimed to be able to supply any type of instrument at a low price, including a 'Best English Concertina, "Double Action", in Rosewood Case for Ł3 10s" . Founded about 1840, the firm was based at Aldgate.

According to this source

http://www.scatesconcertinas.com/pdf/RE%20ACTIONS%20-%20thinking%20inside%20the%20box%201.pdf

It has quite different mechanism and uses accordion reeds.

If anyone knows something more (are they good, worh of buying, do they have interesting history, etc.) please dont hesitate to share your knowledge.

I have a double walled metal E flat clarinet from about 1870 with Ebblewhite's name beautifully engraved on it. It was actually made by Gautrot in Paris, whose "GA" logo is almost invisibly marked on the instrument as well.

I kinda doubt that Ebblewhite ever made anything themselves, but boy were they classy engravers.