Blues on the concertina

Marcus

I am happy with my No-Gnome Blues, though I don't know if it's 'true blues.' The link is to the tune-o-tron entry, there's a brief mp3.

However, I've tried some other bluesy stuff that I didn't really like. Basically, I don't think I want to play blues on the English concertina. If a song 'gets bluesy,' though -- that's okay. Just personal preference.

In fact, I need to brush up on this song because I may be doing it somewhere on Thursday night. Gotta at least know my own songs...

Don't try to set a screw with a hacksaw.

I've messed around trying to get a bluesy sound with the concertina, and David is spot on: It rarely sounds as raunchy as you want it to.

Bends can be done, but usually they are of such short duration that it is not of much value.

Withal, there are blues styles that lend themselves better to other "not-so-raunchy" instruments: The aformentioned piano blues and some of the very early, non-delta stylings, out of the era when american music was a free-for-all are some.

But if you want your concertina to sound like a Marine Band 10-holer, you are going to be disappointed.

Best let each instrument do what it does and accept that this is why there are so many different instruments in the world.

In my opinion...;=)

RB

.... When I get a bit of time, I'll make a recording and let you all be the judge of how this sounds in practice. It's like the piano in arrangement, but the timbre sounds like harmonica (sort of), yet the aggregate is totally concertina.

Hi Jody,

You have piqued my interest, and I'm in great anticipation to hear what you've come up with.

Best regards,

Tom

Hi Tom,

Give a listen and tell me what you think. http://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=13915

• 3 weeks later...

Hi folks,

I know I kind of highjacked this discussion with my separate posting of Chittlin' Cookin' Time In Cheatham County. but I didn't mean for that to end this interesting topic.

I've been thinking about what folks have said concerting how the concertina succeeds or rather fails in being like a blues harmonica. IMHO, some techniques cross over and some do not. Also the distinction of the concertina as a solo or ensemble instrument is interesting to me. How I play in a band and how I play solo is not the same. In investigating this, some harmonica playing friends suggested I listen to how harmonica players have figured out how to accompany themselves solo and I think you might find it interesting to view these youtube offerings.

Sam Hinton: Bass Notes and UM PA

Cajun Waltz

Nu Palace Blues Instrumental.

(Edited to add one four letter word)

Edited by Jody Kruskal