The Keel Row.

ooo - I was pleased to see it's one of ours :) [british Library] I keep forgetting all these wonderful source recordings.

I've just started playing this in its more prosaic version - BL sounds

And as to how I found it .......... I was walking at Coldharbour (Surrey), last week, and took a few photos. Having uploaded them to an internet site, I did a Google search, under "Coldharbour", and found a British Library recording of one of the residents being interviewed back in 1959. The joys of the internet......

OK, LDT, so I'll not bother with the plug-in.

I've been round the houses but (owning up) haven't managed to hear it. But my reponse is about the genre rather than Lea's playing.

Presuming these are the "George Shield/Tom Clough" variations, showing off technical prowess is exactly what they are all about. Northumbrian variations, originally for smallpipes, are (almost) set developments on the original theme and will always build up in a similar way. They were (and still are) played at piping competitions, for other pipers to judge. My guess is that they are "instrument specific" and may not transfer well (f'rinstance; piobaireachd can't really be played on anything other than highland pipes). I wouldn't expect to hear them in group playing. Listen to recordings of Clough, if you have a chance, and you'll hear the tempo changes etc. that go to make it interesting to me. :rolleyes: T.

Edited by TonyRussell

grrr...it won't play on my mac..keeps telling me I'm missing a plug in then won't install the plugin. >:(

It worked on my mac using the Flip for Mac plugin making Quicktime capable of playing Windows media files.

I noticed that it is the same set of variations that tallship posted in the "Something for the weekend" thread. I'd been working on them and almost had a postable version on my baritone--until I heard this clip and found out how far I am from the requisite speed! :lol:

Technical prowess, for its own sake has certain similarities to musical masturbation.music should be about conveying emotions ,technique should only be used to enable the player to be able to express him/herself satisfactorily.

if piping competitions are just about technical prowess,then they are a waste of time,and should be sabotaged. :lol:

"music should be about" is a rather strong way of putting things. Music can be "about" many things - i.e. have all sorts of different aims. There are plenty of "classical" pieces that are really "just" technical showpieces - but if they're played flawlessly and gracefully they're not just about "showing off" - but a kind of celebration of the unlikely and amazing abilities of the human body/mind that the audience can appreciate and wonder at. Some people do the same in sport (especially athletics) - which is not my thing - but people enjoy with a sense of wonder that people can do those things. I don't think that makes either activity worth sabotaging.

if piping competitions are just about technical prowess,then they are a waste of time,and should be sabotaged. :lol:

I hope you'll report to us here the results of your attempt to sabotage a piping competition.

If you can't, I know a beginning player who I think would do justice to your tenor-treble English, if your estate would sell it at a decent price. :ph34r:

I noticed that it is the same set of variations that tallship posted in the "Something for the weekend" thread. I'd been working on them and almost had a postable version on my baritone--until I heard this clip and found out how far I am from the requisite speed! :lol:

Speed isn't everything Larry, give it a go. :)

I've posted this link elsewhere, but as the debate about technique rages on sit back and enjoy

I think he slows down to catch his breath meself. ;)

'...imo when [music] becomes a purely intellectual exercise, or and a vehicle for showing off it no longer fulfiils my criteria of the purpose of music...

Your criteria... and your opinion.

Good that you put it that way, since it implicitly acknowledges that others may have different opinions and criteria.

why not have a competition for musical typewriters?

Isn't that what we play? :unsure:

But I don't like "competitions". That implies judging. And that implies that the judges' criteria and opinions are more valid than mine, or yours.

Edited to insert a missing apostrophe and emoticon. ;)

Edited by JimLucas

I rather like these variations - I think they're quirky, fun and entertaining, and a good way to explore this tune. Consequently I couldn't help turning the recording machine on :) Listen here. It's based on the version posted in the "something for the weekend" thread.