Current makes of concertina

• 7 months later...

Hi.

I have just ordered my first concertino - inspired by severel good players om You Tube. I try an B1 40/9 RED Anglo from Thomann. This big German music store seem to make their own concertinos on an italian factory - maybee Stagio. Do anyone of you garved fasioned players know about these factory in italy.

I have linked to Thomann shop so you can visit and look http://www.thomann.de/dk/concertinaer.html?sid=99a5033323690a6f4eb469bc98bacca4

Look at this link on You Tube and listen to the mellow sound of the cheep concertino ! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmhFBOfnqQ8&feature=related

I hope I can learn a litle tune in my chistmas hollydays. Any melody suggestions ( Im normaly a semipro mandolinplayer and have a couple hundreds tunes in my head )

Edited by Mr. Rummelpot

I have just ordered my first concertino - inspired by severel good players om You Tube. I try an B1 40/9 RED Anglo from Thomann. This big German music store seem to make their own concertinos on an italian factory - maybee Stagio. Do anyone of you garved fasioned players know about these factory in italy.

I have linked to Thomann shop so you can visit and look http://www.thomann.d...eb469bc98bacca4

Look at this link on You Tube and listen to the mellow sound of the cheep concertino ! http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

I hope I can learn a litle tune in my chistmas hollydays. Any melody suggestions ( Im normaly a semipro mandolinplayer and have a couple hundreds tunes in my head)

The Italian-made Thomann concertinas are probably made by Stagi. I don't know of any other active concertina manufacturer in Italy.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Would it be worthwhile to add the names of the "Cheap Chinese" variants to the list, so that we can head off the "is X Brand a cheap Chinese concertina?" questions?

I've noticed the "Trinity College" concertinas on eBay, and a perusal of past discussions of those here on the Forum appears to indicate that they're in the Cheap Chinese category. Mentioning that name specifically in the master list might be helpful to allay any momentary consideration folks might otherwise give of those boxes.

n19cht.jpg

Fortunately for the internet, the very first hit for "trinity college concertina" on Google is a thread from this very forum, entitled "A Sad Story", so anyone with the common-sense to google the model before bidding on eBay will come right to the proper place for warning.

Might it also be worth noting on the master list that "Bastari" is the former name for Stagi? Bastari isn't necessarily current, but again some mention of the term might be helpful, for Google search hits as well. I'd submit it might also be useful to note the various current models of Stagi, or at least the distinction between their plastic-bodied "Beginner" line Anglos and their wood-bodied Anglos and English.

Should we also add Thomann to the list, and/or mention that they're a re-badging of Stagi? I'm not 100% sure we've confirmed the re-badging, but they appear to be basically the same thing.

I'd be happy to type up any of the above so that an admin can add them copy-paste, just so I'm not adding burden to the compiler.

Edited by MatthewVanitas

Well...

I don't want to list brand names of re-badged concertinas. There are too many brand names and they come and go too quickly. There's also no way to know for sure who actually made the instruments. For example, I think that the current Italian-made ones are all made by Stagi, but I am not positive of that and it could change even if I'm right. And the Trinity College brand name has been around for a long time, perhaps on and off, and I don't know if their concertinas have always been Chinese.

I will add that Stagi was formerly Bastari, and that their concertinas are sometimes sold under re-badged names. I don't want to mention their models, since I don't generally do that (though I realize that I have made a partial exception for Concertina Connection). Anyone who follows the link to the Stagi/Brunner site will see pictures of multiple models.

Would it be worthwhile to add the names of the "Cheap Chinese" variants to the list, so that we can head off the "is X Brand a cheap Chinese concertina?" questions?

I've noticed the "Trinity College" concertinas on eBay, and a perusal of past discussions of those here on the Forum appears to indicate that they're in the Cheap Chinese category. Mentioning that name specifically in the master list might be helpful to allay any momentary consideration folks might otherwise give of those boxes.

Fortunately for the internet, the very first hit for "trinity college concertina" on Google is a thread from this very forum, entitled "A Sad Story", so anyone with the common-sense to google the model before bidding on eBay will come right to the proper place for warning.

Might it also be worth noting on the master list that "Bastari" is the former name for Stagi? Bastari isn't necessarily current, but again some mention of the term might be helpful, for Google search hits as well. I'd submit it might also be useful to note the various current models of Stagi, or at least the distinction between their plastic-bodied "Beginner" line Anglos and their wood-bodied Anglos and English.

Should we also add Thomann to the list, and/or mention that they're a re-badging of Stagi? I'm not 100% sure we've confirmed the re-badging, but they appear to be basically the same thing.

I'd be happy to type up any of the above so that an admin can add them copy-paste, just so I'm not adding burden to the compiler.

• 2 months later...

Hello I am a new member who has one of those cheap chinese accordians. a sad case of ignorance is bliss..at least until I learnt a few tunes and understood what my instrument could NOT do. Anyway, where is this list you are compiling, as it would save me asking the question "how does the Aidi rate compared to a Stagi"

thanks

• Confused 1

Hello I am a new member who has one of those cheap chinese accordians. a sad case of ignorance is bliss..at least until I learnt a few tunes and understood what my instrument could NOT do. Anyway, where is this list you are compiling, as it would save me asking the question "how does the Aidi rate compared to a Stagi"

thanks

Head to to the top of this thread HERE

editing keeps it up to date.

Lots of info, and even cheap chinese can get you started.

I just thought I would add my experiences of this company in 2012.I thought the little concertina kit looked interesting and so tried to contact them to order the kit.Firstly via email & then about 8 weeks ago by letter. Both were ignored.

As stated elsewhere I don't think they're interested in overseas sales.

Pity really.

1271469423[/url]' post='111191']

Thanks, Tom. I hadn't been aware of them. The only concertina I spotted on their site was a 10-button 1-row kit that doesn't look like anything I've seen before, so I'm pretty sure that they actually make it:

bsc2.jpg

Here's a Google translation of the page:

The Concertina (concertina) to build your own -

The finished instrument is diatonic, has 10 buttons and corresponds to the C-series of two or three rows of Concertinas. The scale runs from left seamlessly into the right hand.

For 260 SFr. We provide everything necessary for the construction of the kit in a concertina-Kartonkistchen:

• The complete prepared, sorted material (over 250 items)
  • The prepared voice-install kit
  • Resources
  • Detailed plans and instructions

The instrument is technically simple as possible, but not a toy with amazing range!

The kit-box can be delivered as a package. Of course, we offer assistance with problems.

Matching the Bastelörgeli we provide for those interested an A3 photo sheet on "How does my Örgeli" is available. All kits can be sent by mail werden.Für more information, click on the following representations, or to the PDF overview "Örgeli kits (all variants) at the bottom.

Have fun.

Of course, we offer assistance if you should unexpectedly lose its nerve.

Definitely an odd one, but I guess I should add it to the list. Does anyone who actually reads German have anything to add?

1271465882[/url]' post='111186']

I recently came across this link on the Chiff and Fipple Forum on Free Reed instruments. http://www.akkordeonwerkstatt.ch/

While they are obviously primarily accordeon makers, they do appear to make a concertina. I say "appear" because I can't read German, so it's my assumption that they make them rather than re-badge them or act as agents for someone else. Of course, I am open to correction. Apologies if they have been mentioned on this thread before. I looked and could not find them, but my eyes aren't as good as they used to be.

Tom Ryan

• 5 months later...
  • 9 months later...

As much as Lark in the Morning's catalog used to fascinate teenage me in the 1990s, I haven't looked at them for years since for the kinds of instrument I like it's easier and cheaper just to go directly to the makers' websites these days.

That said, I took a look today and they list a bunch of concertinas with names like "Galway", "Dublin", "Newcastle" and "Turnbridge". The metal-ended Galway looks very much like the metal-ended Sherwood that Hobgoblin carries. Is this just LiTM's house re-brand of Sherwood products, or are they buying similar models from the same factory in China?

http://larkinam.com/Concertinas.html

Well........

First of all, the Sherwood is made in England, I believe for Hobgoblin only. But I'm not sure if they're still being made - I've seen them listed as out of stock on the Hobgoblin site for quite some time.

I hadn't been aware of these Lark in the Morning concertinas - but they remind me of concertinas I've seen listed in the last couple of years on several web sites. I'd guess that one of the Chinese makers started using Italian-made reeds and used it as a marketing feature. I don't know if these concertinas are significantly better than the often-problematic Chinese concertinas that preceded them - their reeds were not the only problem.

I don't know as much as I'd like to know about the Chinese makers. A knowledgeable person told me a few years ago that there are three different manufacturers there (other than Concertina Connection's operation) , but that's about all I know.

As much as Lark in the Morning's catalog used to fascinate teenage me in the 1990s, I haven't looked at them for years since for the kinds of instrument I like it's easier and cheaper just to go directly to the makers' websites these days.

That said, I took a look today and they list a bunch of concertinas with names like "Galway", "Dublin", "Newcastle" and "Turnbridge". The metal-ended Galway looks very much like the metal-ended Sherwood that Hobgoblin carries. Is this just LiTM's house re-brand of Sherwood products, or are they buying similar models from the same factory in China?

http://larkinam.com/Concertinas.html