Crabb 61K Crane Duet On Ebay - Another Scam?

MatthewVanitas

Relisted at the same $2099 price, but with the following new text:

An experienced concertina player recently came by, played, and provided some feedback on this concertina, as follows. The instrument is very restorable. This instrument is mostly in tune relative to itself in its original pitch (from the 1800s, not A=440), but it has a few reeds that are out of tune. Also, all the notes sound when pulling the bellows outward, but two of the notes do not sound when squeezing the bellows in; this is easy to fix (we've repaired valves on other concertinas before) but I will leave this minor adjustment to the buyer, as the buyer will probably want this professionally restored. On conducting a "hang test" (squeezing both ends together then letting the concertina hang, holding only one end then the other, with no keys pressed), the bellows open slowly (which they should), but it seemed like it was taking dozens of seconds for the bellows her restored large-scale Crabb Duet concertina to fully open, while it took only ten seconds for the bellows on this one to open (in our opinion, this difference could partly be due to the fact that her large-scale Crabb's bellows are freshly restored and thus perhaps stiffer, but we can't be certain). Relatedly, although some of the notes on this concertina played as loudly as those her fully restored large-scale Crabb Duet, several did not. So some adjustment to the bellows or some valves likely will be needed.

hmmmm, more questions than answers from that tantalizing newslet. the plot thickens. well, it is pouring rain here, but i see there's six more days on the auction, so may be time yet to see it. i don't see a "make an offer" function on the ebay post, wonder if he is getting any private nibbles. now i'm dying to know how low it goes in the right side...

hmmmm, more questions than answers from that tantalizing newslet. the plot thickens. well, it is pouring rain here, but i see there's six more days on the auction, so may be time yet to see it. i don't see a "make an offer" function on the ebay post, wonder if he is getting any private nibbles. now i'm dying to know how low it goes in the right side...

Me too - and I also wonder who the mysterious experienced player with her own restored large Crabb duet might have been.

Whatever the story, it is currently displaying here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161286990873?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

J Crabb and Son concertina Crane Duet, catalogs Jeffries Wheatstone Lachenal

CRANE DUET 61 BUTTONS, LARGE CONCERTINA, ALL NOTES PLAY

Seller : marcmaudio (8 ) 100% Positive feedback

Follow this seller | See other items

Item condition:Used

“See description.”

Time left: 5d 19h (May 03, 2014 16:47:06 PDT)

Starting bid:US $2,099.00

[ 0 bids ]

Place bid

Enter US $2,099.00 or more

I will include a copy of pages from a catalog featuring Wheatstone, Jeffries and Lachenal concertinas if you purchase this concertina.

This really annoys me - it's obviously there to justify including the string "Jeffries Wheatstone Lachenal" in the title so that it will show up in searches for those makers. This guy seems to thrive on deception.

Edited by sqzbxr

Cranes are not numerous, but they're not non-existent, either. Or, that is the way I began to look at it two or three icky factoids ago. The only person I can see going for this is someone who works on concertinas themselves, and even that would be, provided the photos are accurate and a bidder is knowledgeable enough to feel confident sizing up what they convey regarding the condition of the frames, reeds, etc. There is too much bad ju-ju for anyone else, even with the thing being in the same hemisphere....

Edited by ceemonster

• 2 weeks later...

yeah.......when the listing was sitting there with the lone bid on it I clicked on the bidder, and there was a history of prior bids on free-reed instruments. so perhaps it is a restorer and/or dealer with enough knowledge to gauge price-versus-pictured-internal-condition and throw on a bid assuming a caveat emptor ... or maybe it wasn't from the photos...maybe somebody opened it up in person and were on firm ground as to what they were taking on....