Photo

Anyone Playing German Folk Tunes On A C/g Anglo?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Canary Bird

Canary Bird

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 11:49 AM

Hello to all!  I am really enjoying and learning soooo much from this very informative & lively forum with lots of perspectives and years of experience behind what is written.

I am a harmonica player and ready to launch out in learning a free reed instrument with bellows.  The C/G Anglo seems like it could be my best bet (for learning, resources available, Irish tunes that I love), but I don't want to give up those German tunes that I play on my harmonicas.

Anyone playing German folk tunes on a C/G Anglo? 

THANK YOU for any ideas or thoughts that you might have.

#2 arkwright

arkwright

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 11:19 AM

Everything you can do on a C or G harmonica you also can do on a 20 button (or more) C/G anglo.  Playing anglo will give you more harmonic freedom. The anglo concertina should be ideal for playing German folk tunes, or any major key tunes, and it allows you to add more harmony than you could on a harmonica.   The greater harmonic possibilities arise because you can find the same note in both directions.  For example suppose you are playing "Muss I Denn" in the key of C:   [CDE,EGF, etc... ]   Try playing the melody on the right hand C row.  To harmonize the F note in the melody, you can play a full F chord in the left hand by using the C note in the G row.   That is a simple example; I'm sure you will find many more.  With a 30-button anglo the possibilities are greater because you get a G on the draw,  A on the press, and a low F on the draw in the top row.

#3 Dan Worrall

Dan Worrall

Heavyweight Boxer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1025 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 01:11 PM

well, here are some old German tunes for the German Concertina (lower two rows of the Anglo) that date from the 1830s...

http://www.concertina.com/worrall/hoeselbarth-tutor/index.htm 

#4 Canary Bird

Canary Bird

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 11:45 AM

Thanks for this great input!  I sure appreciate it!  Tracking on the internet, you tube, etc.  I have not seen any using a c/g Anglo for German tunes.

#5 AnnC

AnnC

Chatty concertinist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 04:32 PM

A small word of warning ..... some of the really good German tunes were 'appropriated' during WWII and had new words set to them. Luckily for me a friend recognised the tune I was happily playing with gusto was no longer known as 'The Adventurer', a song from the late 1800's, but had had new lyrics to it by Horst Wessell and was used as the Nazi party's song!! I'm told it's still illegal to play the tune in Germany ....... Having slightly older friends with good memories can be a blessing, all 'new to me' German folk tunes/ songs are now run past them and vetted to avoid causing offence.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users