Whoopee Yippee Hooray

Yes, it's arrived. 15 months of thought and consideration, and the efforts of an extraordinarily able craftsman, have borne fruit, and it works! Here is a photo:-

anglodeon.jpg

How about that! For people wondering why I'm making a fuss about what is after all a button accordion, look at this thread here. Basically it's a Jeffries G/D anglo realised as a melodeon.

I'm here to tell you that the theory works! I could pick the beast up and play most of the tunes I can play on my G/D anglos straight off, no probs. I can find my way around the bass end, though it's going to take a little while to get properly into that, as you'd expect. The other part of the theory also works. I can play tunes at the low end of the keyboard a full octave below the normal D/G melodeon and it sounds great! It's a whole new instrument when I want it.

It is, in itself, a really lovely piece of kit as well. It's fast and slick, and much lighter than any three-row melodeon has any right to be (the wood is Australian silky oak, BTW). This is not a replacement for my concertinas, but it's a great complement to them. I can practice on one and get better on the other at the same time! I am absolutely delighted with it.

It was made by Pete Hyde, the Australian melodeon maker (and Jeffries G/D player). I got a slightly good deal on it because I am now hosting Pete's web site here. The normal price would be $AUS 4000 ($US3100 or UKP1700), but, get this, anyone who orders one as a result of seeing this article will only be charged $AUS 3500. You can't say fairer than that.

Chris (speaking to you from Seventh Heaven)

Yes, it's arrived. 15 months of thought and consideration, and the efforts of an extraordinarily able craftsman, have borne fruit, and it works! Here is a photo:-

--

--

--

Chris (speaking to you from Seventh Heaven)

Allriiiiiiiight, Mate, Congratulations! That must feel great! And did I hear (read) you right - you intend to bring it to Arran? One more reason to come!

Henrik

I really love the picture, not only for the Anglodeon but also for the "warm summer evening atmosphere".

You must be very happy!

Yep, that's our back garden just after we had tea; the weather in England is lovely right now. I must admit to feeling pretty chipper!

Henrik and Henk, we're coming up to Arran by car, which means we'll be able to bring a number of nice instruments with us, such as the Dipper baritone anglo as well as the Anglodeon. See you there if not before!

Chris

I fancy a C/G anglodeon with 120 bass just so I can annoy the Gringley-on-the-Hill sessionistra.

At the ECMW just gone I developed a new game: give the Anglodeon to a melodeon player and say, "What do you reckon on that, then?". Confusion quickly follows; nothing is as it seems!

Once they'd worked out that they were being had the box got a lot of praise for its general build quality, lightness and sound, and the anglo players I showed it to could see what I'm trying to do. It got its formal introduction to the world in a discussion run by Roger Digby entitled "Some musings on playing the anglo concertina".

I found that when playing it in a session it's taking me longer to find my way around than my anglo, but then I've only had it for a week today, and even in the course of one session my playing got very much better. I'm still very pleased with it.

Chris

Edited by Chris Timson

"I found that when playing it in a session it's taking me longer to find my way around than my anglo, but then I've only had it for a week today, and even in the course of one session my playing got very much better. I'm still very pleased with it."

And as one of the people sitting within earshot at that session, I can confirm that the sound's wonderful, warm and sweet - a lovely instrument!

Welcome aboard Pippa!

Pippa plays a beautiful 8-sided Dipper anglo, a lovely machine. One of the highlights of the weekend for me was going to explore the chapel in the grounds of Postlip Hall (where the event was held) and finding her and two others playing. The accoustic of the chapel was everything you would expect, and so the music sounded absolutely magic - by candlelight already!

Chris

Will you be bringing the new beast up to Lancashire any time? I'd be interested in having a look at it.

Would it be difficult to have a baritone version of it made as that is the thing I am lacking really, and might be able to afford. I suppose that there are different considerations with a non-concertina style construction when it comes to redesigning for a different pitch.

Still don't know if we are free to come to Arran, and will probably be a last minute decision if we do.

Robin Madge

Will you be bringing the new beast up to Lancashire any time? I'd be interested in having a look at it.

Would it be difficult to have a baritone version of it made as that is the thing I am lacking really, and might be able to afford. I suppose that there are different considerations with a non-concertina style construction when it comes to redesigning for a different pitch.

Next time we come up to Lanky I'll bring it with me.

I can't answer your question, but I know a chap who can! Pete Hyde's web site is here, and it shows his email address as well as a web mail form.

Chris