Concertinaless.....

BruceB

Hi Everyone,

I've been concertinaless for about a week now. I packed them up last Thursday and shipped them to The Button Box. I didn't think I'd miss not having a concertina for a week or two, but as luck would have it I've had more time to myself this past week and really missed not being able to play. It was quite a nice surprise to get a call from the BB this morning saying they're shipping my Albion back and I'll have it in a few days. I've had a number of nice concertinas and the Albion is the one I've really bonded with. Sorry to report that it has no gender or name (other than the Albion), but I've never named my stuff. I sure hope that taking some time off has improved my playing.

bruce boysen

Hi Everyone,

I've been concertinaless for about a week now. I packed them up last Thursday and shipped them to The Button Box...

I admire your courage, Bruce! :)

I probably SHOULD ship mine off to the BB, since it needs some fixing up a little, but I don't want to be without it for the duration it'd take.

I know that sooner or later I'll have to schedule a 'check up' for my Albion.

I did buy a maintenance/repair book, but...that's even scarier, at this point! The thought of me trying to fix up my concertina.

Bruce, your post made me sweat. I don't look forward to the day Tina has to go back to the Button Box. When it happens, I'll drive her out there.

Why on earth did you send the Albion and the Lachenal at the same time? Not some catastrophe I trust?

You've just brought back to me the horror of last Friday! I still blanch to think about it...

It was the weekend of the Radway reunion. There I was playing away for all I was worth on Kilroy the Jeffries anglo when suddenly a button jammed on and I had to stop playing. No matter, the B&B was just two minutes walk away where my trusty Morse Ceili awaited. Back to the Radway and the music, which was as wonderful as only the Radway full-on wall-of-sound can be.

You guessed it, 20 minutes later a button on the Ceili jammed on. Worse, it had been so long since I had last had a problem on any of my concertinas that I had left my repair kit carelessly at home. I could do nothing, surrounded by wonderful music and unable to join in.

Saturday morning I looked at the two boxen. Kilroy had a broken spring, so there wasn't much I could do about that until I got home, but the Ceili had just lost a pad, so with the assistance of some latex glue from the landlord of the B&B I was up and running in time for the Saturday lunchtime session. The Ceili gave me no more problems, I am glad to say, and served me well for the rest of the weekend.

Chris

Chris you remind me of the time a pad came off at the George session and it actually jammed underneath another, so I had a perminant drone.Like you I had forgotten to take my emergency repair kit with me.

Luckily someone had a little penknife in their pocket which undid the screws,someone else had an elastoplast for a possible future cut.I cut a thin strip off the plaster wrapped the strip over the top of the lever and stuck the pad back on.

The pad stayed on all night and the repair was so good when I took the end off the next day the pad was still perfectly stuck in position.

Al

So, Bruce, your boxes went to the Button Box for winter camp?

Hi Everyone,

My Albion went back to have one note fixed. I bought it in 2001 & this was the first small problem. I didn't really trust myself to remove a reed, perhaps I'll have to learn how to do it myself.

The Lachenal went to the BB in a trade.....for another Albion. When the note went bad on the Albion and I was forced to play just the Lachenal I realized how *much* more I enjoy playing the Albion. It might sound crazy to give up a really nice vintage, but I had to force myself to put down the Albion to pick up the Lachenal. Now I have one with cherry ends and a black one. It will be interesting to see if I think they play or sound any different. My old one is #077 and the new one is #277.

bruce boysen

Wow Bruce, that's drastic. You don't fool around do you. The Albion is a wonderful instrument. A black on eh? I've wanted to find the time to go out there and look at one just for fun.

This bids the question: When will Mr. Morse make an English with traditional reeds? I know the Duet project comes first. I just hope I'm on the right side of the sod when the English comes due.

Bravo!

There I was playing away for all I was worth on Kilroy the Jeffries anglo when suddenly a button jammed on and I had to stop playing. .....

You guessed it, 20 minutes later a button on the Ceili jammed on. ..

Chris,

What a story and what a coincidence!!

I have just received "The Concertina Maintenance Manual" and put it somewhere on a shelf. Now I will take it and read it from A to Z