1913 Wheatstone 56 Key Tenor-treble Aeola On Ebay

Perry Werner

Howdy:

Currently on Ebay this 1913 Wheatstone 56 Key Tenor-Treble Aeola

at

http://cgi.ebay.com/1913-Wheatstone-56-Key...VQQcmdZViewItem

Can anyone verify actual existence of this instrument, condition and does anyone know the seller?

The usual.

My gut feeling is that it is legit.

I emailed the seller and received a somewhat knowledgable response but these days one never knows about legitimacy.

Has anyone seen this instrument in person.

Thanks,

Perry Werner

Can anyone verify actual existence of this instrument, condition and does anyone know the seller?

Off-hand, I can't think of who the seller might be, but we have a couple of C.net members in, or near, Leighton Buzzard, who might well be able to verify for any potential buyer.

Regards,

Peter.

Off-hand, I can't think of who the seller might be, but we have a couple of C.net members in, or near, Leighton Buzzard, who might well be able to verify for any potential buyer.

Regards,

Peter.

Gentlemen,

I fully understand and appreciate your concerns about my (and probably more importantly) the concertina's existence.

I can confirm that I do exist, live in Leighton Buzzard, and that the concertina is as photographed and described. I don't move in concertina playing circles, so I'm probably invisible as a concertina player, but you may recall me as a founder member of Silly Wizard, where I've got concertina credits on our first album, and I now co-own Harbourtown Records (www.harbourtownrecords.com). You'll find my band's website at www.stickshiftcontra.com and you'll find a contact telephone number there. I'm also a member of the English Folk Dance and Song Society's National Council. You're welcome to contact me through this site or via Stick Shift, Harbourtown or EFDSS.

Kind Regards

Robbie (Bob) Thomas

may recall me as a founder member of Silly Wizard, where I've got concertina credits on our first album, and I now co-own Harbourtown Records (www.harbourtownrecords.com). You'll find my band's website at www.stickshiftcontra.com and you'll find a contact telephone number there. I'm also a member of the English Folk Dance and Song Society's National Council. You're welcome to contact me through this site or via Stick Shift, Harbourtown or EFDSS.

Silly Wizard: what a great band.

What with the large number of scams involving concertinas online, people around here are understandably nervous, but I'm sure you've satisfied any concerns about this sale. You obviously are a man of refined taste, since you play contra dance music and like Gurian guitars!

may recall me as a founder member of Silly Wizard, where I've got concertina credits on our first album, and I now co-own Harbourtown Records (www.harbourtownrecords.com). You'll find my band's website at www.stickshiftcontra.com and you'll find a contact telephone number there. I'm also a member of the English Folk Dance and Song Society's National Council. You're welcome to contact me through this site or via Stick Shift, Harbourtown or EFDSS.

Silly Wizard: what a great band.

What with the large number of scams involving concertinas online, people around here are understandably nervous, but I'm sure you've satisfied any concerns about this sale. You obviously are a man of refined taste, since you play contra dance music and like Gurian guitars!

I once considered a Gurian myself. I asked the salesperson where they were made, and she told me to look inside the sound hole. "Earth, third planet from the sun." Mike

Wow!

GBP3025 It looks like the English are going the way of the anglo!

To be fair it was an exceptional instrument, I think we'll wait a long time to see one in as fine condition again. I first spotted it a couple of days before this thread started and if I'd had the cash I would have gone for the buy it now at a mere £2,450. Fairly average ebony ended Aeola tenor/trebles cost that kind of money.

Hi there,

I saw this Wheatstone on the day it started. The by it now price was £2,450. Do you think it had a true market value of £3,025? I would be interested in other peoples views on this one. if it is indicative of the now market value we are all going to have to dig alot deeper into our pockets in the future.

Cheers!

Andie

BTW - It did look like an exceptional instrument ................ guess we will never know whether it was or not? Would be interesting to know wouldn't it?

Do you think it had a true market value of £3,025? I would be interested in other peoples views on this one. if it is indicative of the now market value we are all going to have to dig alot deeper into our pockets in the future.

Well, Andie, it was from the "vintage" period of Wheatstone. However, I was surprised to see it going past the £2500 mark.

Maybe the gap between the second-hand and new markets is starting to close. Compared with Anglos, English concertinas have been very "cheap". We'll need to see a few more sales to confirm this trend, though. Any dealers, with a stock of Tenor/Treble instruments, must be rubbing their hands, I guess.

Regards,

Peter.

This tenor/treble Edeophone is a much better indicator of market value I would think. I'd have expected see this for sale from a dealer at around £2200-£2300 and make a little less in an auction. I would have thought the best price the Aeola would have brought to be about £2600 but people do get carried away when bidding now and again. I'd be surprised if this is a sign of things to come.

I agree..................there have been some odd prices paid a couple of times recently for English concertinas,on eBay..............really high prices for mediocre to poor concertinas.Just poor buying I think.

My feeling is there are still way more top English concertinas available than there are players ( unlike the anglo market).

This may have been in excellent condition............but that is not uncommon for these concertinas.I'm often astonished how well these T/T Aeolas hold up over time.

I don't think there is an upward trend in top English concertinas, like we are seeing with anglos.

Robin

Hi there,

My feeling is that GBP3025 was OTT even thought it looked in very good condition. I felt it would go for a little over GBP2600 but it went for well above that.

As you said Robin, most likely "Just poor buying". Lack of knowledge may have played its part. I would like to purchase a T/T Aeola in very good condition but I will not be departing this sort of cash unless the market dictates that I must. If it does then a T/T Edeophone may be more my mark.

Cheers!

Andie

Did anyone else notice that it didn't have the original thumbstrap fittings ( someone has installed the later style without the strap screw) - a definite negative for me

I guess this is a bargain at GBP2500 now? It's a later vintage but very nice all the same.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Wheatstone-56-key-ae...1QQcmdZViewItem

Did anyone else notice that it didn't have the original thumbstrap fittings ( someone has installed the later style without the strap screw) - a definite negative for me

Paul, I noticed the thumbstrap replacement as well. Wouldn't that be a reasonably simple thing to return to original, though? I had considered purchasing it at the buy-it-now price, which I felt was a good price. As it turned out, it sold at bid for considerably more than that. I can't help but think the fact that it was purchased for more than the asking price has to take the edge off the victory a bit. Who knows... Mike

Something else that is interesting re. this Aeola (or it might just be me not understanding the Wheatstone archive shorthand.)

Model 19 is a tenor treble but in this case it says "tenor" in the entry,which it does not usually do for a T/T......it just gives the model #.

Could this concertina be a Tenor ? If so, I would have guessed it's value would be less than a standard T/T.

Robin

I guess this is a bargain at GBP2500 now? It's a later vintage but very nice all the same.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Wheatstone-56-key-ae...1QQcmdZViewItem

It's a lovely instrument and I would consider the price to be very fair. Again if I had the cash I would be diving in at the buy it now price. It is a later model than the other one, but it's still firmly in Wheatstone's 'golden era'.