Tune Of The Month, May 2013: Parson's Farewell

Jim Besser

I'm going to revisit this tune, as I will most likely all of them in time. I don't like the key that I played it in. It sounds way too muddy. So I'm going to do Parson's Farewell in the key of B minor (D).

Yes! A good idea .. it will be brighter and 'jolly'.I look forward to hearing that. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, here it is -- in the key of D/Bm.

Parsons Farewell in Bm

http://snd.sc/11jwdnA

... Having trouble linking this right now and I need to get outta here...but that link will work.

--- And a 'thank you' to Geoff Woof for saying something encouraging... it helped!

Edited by bellowbelle

I've added another take in the key of Fm(Ab), to soundcloud (will add link later).

Same is at:

box.com/totm (in the file for May)

Loved that, Bellowbelle. That foot bass is amazing. Excuse me if this is a dumb question, but did you play the concertina and foot bass simultaneously, or did you record the bass afterwards?

Thanks,

Dean

Edited by Defra

Cannot get this to play for me Bellowgirl... so cannot comment... :(

Does this help?

Err??? NO ... it gets me the Fm version... and very good too but I still don't get the Bm.

Didn't know what had been wrong - so here is the Bm take.

Thanks Wolf... it gets me to the Bm but still does not play for me.... not to worry I have a good imagination and lots of other stuff to do, so I'll try later.

Okay... well, I've updated a little bit at Soundcloud, and I'd had a duplicate file at one point. Maybe there was some problem due to deleting that one...

Anyway, it seems that I can't use this forum editor today, with our computer. I didn't change any settings on the computer. So, I'll get back to that later.

Everything should be accessible, now.... either at SC or at the box.com/totm link.

I like SC but I already pay for Box, so eventually, as sounds pile up, I may just be using Box.

I've added another take in the key of Fm(Ab), to soundcloud (will add link later).

Same is at:

Loved that, Bellowbelle. That foot bass is amazing. Excuse me if this is a dumb question, but did you play the concertina and foot bass simultaneously, or did you record the bass afterwards?

Thanks,

Dean

...Back again.

Not a dumb question!

It's a bit of a workout, for me, playing that thing! I don't think I play it with as much sophistication as some players do -- delicately working it into those Victorian-era songs, etc. -- though I HAVE been trying to play it without it sounding like I'm just whomping on it recklessly.

It IS a bit of a workout, for me, to play -- good exercise I guess. The tones are arranged by the Circle of Fifths, on the foot bass. So, when I played Parsons Farewell in the key of B minor (a.k.a. D major), it was totally my left foot (and leg) working. When I played the same song but in the key of F minor (a.k.a. Ab major), it was my right foot/leg that got the workout. (Of course, some keys call for both feet.)

It's loud enough to cover a few quiet little wheezes and groans that I notice do show up every now and then. I'm still working on playing it just right!

Same is at:

Thanks,

Dean

...Back again.

Not a dumb question!

It's a bit of a workout, for me, playing that thing! I don't think I play it with as much sophistication as some players do -- delicately working it into those Victorian-era songs, etc. -- though I HAVE been trying to play it without it sounding like I'm just whomping on it recklessly.

It IS a bit of a workout, for me, to play -- good exercise I guess. The tones are arranged by the Circle of Fifths, on the foot bass. So, when I played Parsons Farewell in the key of B minor (a.k.a. D major), it was totally my left foot (and leg) working. When I played the same song but in the key of F minor (a.k.a. Ab major), it was my right foot/leg that got the workout. (Of course, some keys call for both feet.)

It's loud enough to cover a few quiet little wheezes and groans that I notice do show up every now and then. I'm still working on playing it just right!

Thanks for the explanation. I have to admit it's the first time I've heard of such an instrument and heard one in action - very effective. I'd love to see a video of you in action on both instruments if you ever get chance! Thanks again, Dean

.......................Thanks for the explanation. I have to admit it's the first time I've heard of such an instrument and heard one in action - very effective. I'd love to see a video of you in action on both instruments if you ever get chance! Thanks again, Dean

One of these days I'll try to record a video of the whole deal, and post it at YouTube... hopefully.

I know I have a few little videos of the foot bass being played, so if I can find them I'll add a link.

What little recording I do is already so time-consuming! Not enough hours in the day...

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Another take

- following some very good advice as I hope... :)

well, this is certainly well played in termes of techinque/ bellow control etc. As far as the arrangement is concerned - I do believe you are overdoing it a wee little bit. It's a rather simplistic melody, and it's easy to douse a simple melody with too complicated a chord progression. To my ear this is what happens here - there is so much going on in the bass that the ear has trouble figuring out which line takes the lead.

I would take a tune like that more rudimentary with the accompaniment and leave the intricate bass lines to the more nutritious melodies. But then again, that's just my impression.

Rüdiger, thank you very much for the attention and reviewing, and the affirmative part ot the latter too... :)

I thank you as well for bringing your critical view and questioning to my attention, and I may have to concede that my approach to the EC is in the danger of rather doing too much than being too rudimentary.

However, in this case it's just how I "hear" this dance tune, with its melody being so simple just in order to evoke harmonic progressions and a strong beat. I love to include single line melody playing as sort of variation, mainly in the beginning or at the end of a slow air, lament and the likes (like I did it very recently here, to a good appeal as I believe).

You might have another listen with this concept in mind if you'd like to, which possibly would change your mind and possibly wouldn't at all. Anyways, criticism I find always helpful because it induces me if not to alter the concept but to still make it clearer with my playing the tune...

Thanks again! Best wishes - Wolf