New Tutor - Anglo Concertina In The Harmonic Style

gcoover

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi

I'd just like to thank Mr Coover for putting this book together. Within a couple of weeks I was playing with both hands together. Now, after several weeks using the book and Vids I'm really pleased with my progress.

Ned of the Hill, The Beaver, Hard times come again no more, and my particular fav so far - You are all I have. . . . . .. So plenty still to tackle.

I must say the Vids help so much more than a CD and would love all the tunes covered. (although I do understand how time consuming that would be) I don't read music very well so don't get the timing right, which means the songs dont really sound as they should. Not so with the Vids, I picked them up very quickly.

You have been the biggest help in my learning. What looks like a horrendous task (the notation in any book) is made so much easier with the system you have employed.

I haven't bought the xmas book but I probably will (I'm not a xmas person) its all good practice whatever the tune.

I hope you bring out another book and accompanying Vids. I'll buy it without a second thought.

I paid £17 Amazon. . . . . . I would gladly pay £25 for it to cover the Vids . . . . and I think anyone who can be informed through advertising (as in - this book is accompanied by free Vid tuition blah blah blah info in how to access the Vids is in the book) maybe they would pay that much too. They should.

Thank you very very very much

Mike

Edited by Mike Oxtinks

Mike,

So glad to hear you've found the book useful, and the videos even more so! Hopefully they will give you a good jumping off point toward learning and creating your own versions of these great tunes.

I hadn't thought of calling it video tuition, but you've got a good point. The original plan was just to post videos since they are free and relatively easy to knock out, as opposed to including a CD which is really expensive and a huge hassle. Maybe next time I should do the videos first, and then include QR codes in the book - that would be a nice first!

It's ironic that something that is free and easier to do is actually much more usable. And by remembering to throw the wrists out a bit while playing, it allows for both sides to be shown although at a slight angle, instead of using split screens which to me are a bit schizophrenic and disorienting (and I don't know how to do them anyway).

I still intend to post all the tunes in "Anglo Concertina in the Harmonic Style", but got sidetracked putting all the "Christmas Concertina" tunes up, and now I'm trying to get all the "Civil War Concertina" tunes on YouTube as well. Perhaps in the meanwhile you might be able to track down some of the LP and CD recordings of the original artists.

Hmmmm, your avatar photo looks very familiar.......I'll have to include "God Save the Queen" in a future book!

Gary

• 7 months later...

Hi Gary,

I realy enjoy your book. I am playing concertina for just a several month and have to practise a lot.

At last I learnt "You Are All I Have", that was very difficult for me, but now it sounds pretty good.

We presented your book on KonzertinaNetz: (Bücher )

http://www.konzertinanetz.de/

Best wishes Elke

Edited by Toffie

I also have invested in Gary's excellent tutor books (Melodic and Christmas). They really are most useful for us novice players and probably of interest to more experienced players. Spotted a couple of typos in Pull/draw markings, but that is no problem as it makes one think as to which is correct note.

Slight moan however is the binding method which makes it difficult to open the books flat on a music stand. Would be better if ring bound, even if that increased cost slightly. For those of us with tablet computers, a Pdf version would be quite useful and then of course the video links could be embedded in the text.

Slight moan however is the binding method which makes it difficult to open the books flat on a music stand. Would be better if ring bound, even if that increased cost slightly. For those of us with tablet computers, a Pdf version would be quite useful and then of course the video links could be embedded in the text.

I really didnt want to buy the actual book either for several reasons. I emailed Gary and didnt get a response on how to obtain the PDF. First I can have it now and not 7 days from now. Second, saving a tree. And third, the binding issue. But I couldnt wait any longer after all the great things folks were saying about this book. The internet has certainly spoiled me.

All, thanks for the kind words and pdf suggestion! And Elke, glad you like the beautiful waltz written by Larry Wilson, and thanks for the listing on your website.

I've started looking into how to do pdf's, maybe through something like e-junkie? I know Amazon can do a Kindle version, but I'm not sure exactly how all that works.

The publisher only offers the one binding type, which I know can be frustrating if you don't have two big hymnals to weigh down either side. In the past I've taken a lot of my old piano music books to a local print shop and they've sliced off the spine and then punched and added a coil binding so they now lie flat, so perhaps that would be one option. I must confess I typically keep all my printed out concertina music in 3-ring binders - easy to add new tunes and it stays flat.

But it would be way cool to have the videos imbedded with the tunes instead of using those crappy looking QR codes - maybe someday someone will invent magic paper than can do this! Or some sort of sci-fi ProjectoScreen with a bouncing ball? Konsertina Karaoke could be the Next Big Thing.

Gary

I've started looking into how to do pdf's, maybe through something like e-junkie? I know Amazon can do a Kindle version, but I'm not sure exactly how all that works.

Try a google search for CutePDF writer. this is a free download, and installs as a virtual printer. Print a document, selecting CutePDF from the menu of installed printers. It then prompts you to save the document as a PDF file with a folder and file name of your choice.

This link may work:

www.cutepdf.com/

Regards

John Wild

Thanks, John, but the files are already set up as pdf's before going to the printer. The trick is how to monetize it and secure it. E-junkie might have it pretty much sorted out, but I need to do a little more research first. There's not a lot of money in this in the first place, but I don't want to get killed by the wife for giving it all away either!

Gary

Figured I'd register just to add a few suggestions (entirely selfishly, as I fancy a copy of the book)! Might be worth looking at alternatives to ejunkie who don't charge a monthly fee, as on low-volume sales a monthly fee of £5 would very quickly eat into any profits you'd make. Here's a few I've come across which charge a per-transaction fee rather than a monthly subscription, which might suit you better Gary:

https://gumroad.com/

https://trychec.com/

https://sellfy.com/

I've not used any of them personally but they'd likely work out much more affordable for lower volume sales :)

Thanks, Podrisco, it should be available again by the weekend. I've never liked the way the music and the button numbering text looked, so I've pulled it off the market and have been redoing every tune with a better font, made a few minor tweaks here and there, and with luck have eradicated any lurking typos (yeah, right). I've learned a lot about music writing since the first book, so it was time to go back and bring it up to par with the others.

Also coming soon, a book for beginners on the Anglo, starting with 1-row tunes, then 2-row and finally 3-row tunes - in single note, ITM and harmonic styles. 35 tunes using the same easy tablature, with a nice beginner price of $15. Should be out in 2-4 weeks.

Gary

PS - Just now noticed the earlier threads - there's a way to password protect a PDF? I'll definitely look into that!

Edited by gcoover

Just got the book Gary and as a beginner I love your system of tab. Also, great choice of songs plus your videos are a great help. I am finding that playing the same melody lines such as Oh Suzannah on both right hand and left hand is like the same skill it takes to pat your head and rub circles on your stomach. At first its an absolute mess but with practice it becomes a little easier.

Edited by stetix