Manor Royal March

Alan Day

I have followed your instructions but sorry Dave I am going to send you screaming into the distance.

I highlighted the file as you said, but copy was not in File, but in Edit and from then on nothing and the final words that no images were available.

So I am doing something dramatically wrong?

Sorry Dave just for you I tried.

Al

Well, I tried it and it worked first time for me Al. It's a piece of cake! I don't know what you might be doing wrong. Are you familiar with copy and paste? Once you have highlighted the text, keep the cursor on the highlighted text - very important - right click your mouse and you should see 'copy' come up in the menu. Click 'copy'. This will save the text ready for pasting. If you don't see 'copy' then something odd is happening. Next, access the tune-o-tron converter, place your cursor in the rectangle, right click your mouse to bring up the menu which should show 'paste' and click 'paste'. It should now paste the chosen abc notation into the rectangle. If so, click on the submit button which will bring up the headings for Midi, PDF, etc and then click on Midi to play the tune with Windows media player or whatever player on your computer is the default one. And, bingo!! Hope this works for you, cos it worked for me and I am a novice at his sort of thing too.

Chris

PS Jake's hornpipe version with chords is very jolly.

Well Chris I got a little nearer following your instructions and at least got the words into the box on the tune o tron converter after clicking on the submit button I am getting an error notification that no image was received.

At least my struggles may be helping someone else who is at a similar low level of computer knowledge as myself.

Al

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have followed your instructions but sorry Dave I am going to send you screaming into the distance.

I highlighted the file as you said, but copy was not in File, but in Edit and from then on nothing and the final words that no images were available.

So I am doing something dramatically wrong.

Al

I'm stumped, Al. You are right that I meant "Edit" menu, not "File" menu. I never use menus for this kind of thing, preferring to use the keyboard shortcuts I mentioned.

Well Chris I got a little nearer following your instructions and at least got the words into the box on the tune o tron converter after clicking on the submit button

OK, we're getting somewhere. But I'm concerned with your use of the word "words." Most of what you have (hopefully) copied and pasted should be not words but code. It should start with "X:" and contain a few lines that start with other letters followed by colons and then more lines that contain letters A through G and other symbols like | > / and numbers. Very few words, beyond the title.

Do it all again and look at what you've pasted in the converter rectangle (before hitting the "submit" button). Does it look like what I've described? Does it start with X:? (It should). Does it contain any blank lines? (It shouldn't, the abc information ends at the first blank line). If you've pasted words that actually form sentences, then you've copied the wrong stuff.

With answers to this, we should be able to start sorting out the problem.

Of course, if there's anyone around you who knows a little about copying and pasting and other routine computer tasks, it might help to have them look over your shoulder.

It would be nice if somebody (other than me) posted these other versions for us to listen to.

Al

I've assembled the ABC-, dots-, and MIDI-files of the different versions of MRMarch and MRReel.

See this link.

But don't let it keep you from learning to use the Tune-O-tron, Alan. It's a great tool! :)

Edited by Leonard

So I am doing something dramatically wrong.

Al

I'm stumped, Al. You are right that I meant "Edit" menu, not "File" menu. I never use menus for this kind of thing, preferring to use the keyboard shortcuts I mentioned.

Well Chris I got a little nearer following your instructions and at least got the words into the box on the tune o tron converter after clicking on the submit button

OK, we're getting somewhere. But I'm concerned with your use of the word "words." Most of what you have (hopefully) copied and pasted should be not words but code. It should start with "X:" and contain a few lines that start with other letters followed by colons and then more lines that contain letters A through G and other symbols like | > / and numbers. Very few words, beyond the title.

Do it all again and look at what you've pasted in the converter rectangle (before hitting the "submit" button). Does it look like what I've described? Does it start with X:? (It should). Does it contain any blank lines? (It shouldn't, the abc information ends at the first blank line). If you've pasted words that actually form sentences, then you've copied the wrong stuff.

With answers to this, we should be able to start sorting out the problem.

Of course, if there's anyone around you who knows a little about copying and pasting and other routine computer tasks, it might help to have them look over your shoulder.

I think you may have hit upon a problem I am having David ,I cannot include the X ,when I try to it highlights all the words above it. You are correct about the rest, it is code that I am posting.

Just got back from a Gig it's a bit late I will have another go tomorrow. The cut and pasting is a bit clearer now.

Thanks for you patience.

Al

I think you may have hit upon a problem I am having David, I cannot include the X, when I try to it highlights all the words above it.

Yep, 'x' marks the spot, Al. So, that's where you are going wrong. I have found that it can be quite difficult sometimes to highlight the exact bit of text I want to highlight and have to make several attempts at it. As a result, I have been known to end up cursing the cursor! If at first you don't succeed.....

Chris

Al-

Don't give up.

First of all, have a look at the page Leonard has put together (thanks, Leonard). It very nicely does all the work for you. You just have to click links to see and hear everything the tune-o-tron converter has to offer.

There are two solutions I can think of to the problem of highlighting only starting at the X. One is do just what you've done and before you click "submit," erase everything before the X by selecting it and choosing "delete" or "clear" from the Edit menu (or just hit the backspace button on your keyboard). The other thing you can try is to double-click the X and then (without releasing) hold the button down while you drag over the rest of the abc code. Double clicking generally selects words instead of letters, but here, it might do just what you want.

But first go to Leonard's site and listen to what you've caused.

Al-

Don't give up.

First of all, have a look at the page Leonard has put together (thanks, Leonard). It very nicely does all the work for you. You just have to click links to see and hear everything the tune-o-tron converter has to offer.

There are two solutions I can think of to the problem of highlighting only starting at the X. One is do just what you've done and before you click "submit," erase everything before the X by selecting it and choosing "delete" or "clear" from the Edit menu (or just hit the backspace button on your keyboard). The other thing you can try is to double-click the X and then (without releasing) hold the button down while you drag over the rest of the abc code. Double clicking generally selects words instead of letters, but here, it might do just what you want.

But first go to Leonard's site and listen to what you've caused.

GOT IT !!

The double click on the X was the missing link

I listened to all the different examples. The tune-o-tron reminds me of an old pub piano playing, but good fun.

Thanks for opening another door

Will try and let you have the Waltz version shortly

Quite nice

Al

• 6 months later...

Will try and let you have the Waltz version shortly

Al

Sorry for the delay

Peter has just posted the Waltz as promised on the Utube recordings I did last Thursday (I do not want to bore you with this tune but I can even get a Tango out of it).

There is also the Reel and the March close ups for those that wish to see them.

There is an example on bellows shake discussed in another thread (see Les Filles de Mon Pays )

I hope you find them interesting.

Al