Dynamic Vs. Static

JimLucas

While playing (as fast as possible) in the lowest octave your hand "configuration" is not supposed to "change dynamically" at all...no excuse...

My sarcastic response: You, Göran, as the world's most proficient and acclaimed performer on the concertina, know all about what works best!

My serious response (and the reason for starting this as a new Topic): Changes can be great and small, but they happen all the time; they should; they must! Just lifting a finger or depressing a button causes slight changes in the angles of joints, etc., and every change requires other adjustments -- in muscle tension, even if not in postion -- to maintain control. When shifting fingers between buttons, the adjustments depend on which fingers, which buttons, what sequence, etc. Moving the bellows also induces a myriad of interrelated dynamic changes, some small and some on a larger scale.

But I also constantly make adjustments to the position and motion of the instrument as I play, for purposes of expression, but also to distribute both the effort of playing and the opportunity to relax across many different muscles and joints. In the long run, I believe that this increases control -- by exercising as many muscles as possible, -- while it also reduces fatigue.

Note that in my description, I do not claim any extreme flexing. Extremes aren't necessary. I am relaxed. I "cock" my wrists, and I gently arch my hands and fingers.
I just don't believe it until I see it

So what? You can disbelieve the law of gravity, for all I care.

However, I think it would be worthwhile to hear of others' experiences and opinions regarding the matter. (That's why I started a new Topic.)

Edited by JimLucas

But I also constantly make adjustments to the position and motion of the instrument as I play, for  purposes of expression, but also to distribute both the effort of playing and the opportunity to relax across many different muscles and joints.  In the long run, I believe that this increases control -- by exercising as many muscles as possible, -- while it also reduces fatigue.

I must agree with you here Jim, I am always suprised by people who insist on playing the concertina sat down with one end held on a leg. To my way of thinking you deprive yourself of much scope for expression by making one end the instrument static.

I am much happier with my playing when stood up when I can get the whole of my body into the activity of playing. A prime example is Alistair Anderson who seems to play with every single muscle of his body.

Just my view on life, your mileage may vary.

[Edited to make the quote box work properly]

Edited by Lester Bailey

I am much happier with my playing when stood up when I can get the whole of my body into the activity of playing.

I have in my mind a picture of Lester playing Shepherd's Hey, entering so much into the spirit of things that he starts dancing it as well, forgetting he hasn't got handkerchiefs in his hands, and ripping his concertina apart.... :lol:

Jonathan

I have in my mind a picture of Lester playing Shepherd's Hey, entering so much into the spirit of things that he starts dancing it as well, forgetting he hasn't got handkerchiefs in his hands, and ripping his concertina apart.... :lol:

Jonathan

I must admit to once tearing a melodeon in half whilst playing it, probably the best thing you can do with one though.

QUOTE (Göran)

While playing (as fast as possible) in the lowest octave your hand "configuration" is not supposed to "change dynamically" at all...no excuse...

Jim:"My sarcastic response: You, Göran, as the world's most proficient and acclaimed performer on the concertina, know all about what works best!"

Goran:You don't even need to have touched the concertina for playing yourself to know how the above "works" Jim. Concerning the relevant knowledge in this particular field I have suggested some times before that either you could read some elementary book or consult some physician, nurse, physical therapist or athletics instructor who you trust to learn some more anatomy, physiology...

Jim:"But I also constantly make adjustments to the position and motion of the instrument as I play, for purposes of expression, but also to distribute both the effort of playing and the opportunity to relax across many different muscles and joints. In the long run, I believe that this increases control -- by exercising as many muscles as possible, -- while it also reduces fatigue."

Goran: Probably fairly correct...but what has that got to do with the issue...?

What do you want to say with it?? and what on Earth do you mean by "*I* also conctantly make adjustments...."EVERYONE does that!!!

but IF you play 'the lowest notes' - 'in the lowest row' - 'in the lowest octave' you have to maintain the position with the extended wrist and flexed fingers which is different from when playing 'the highest' notes - 'in the highest row' - 'in the highest octave' OR like Joe suggested if the whole keyboard was relocated further towards the 'top'....in the later case being able to maintain a position with neutral

wrist position and less flexed fingers.

In all a position demanding less static load and that is one point..another being the mentioned more direct tendon pathway which will offer less friction, greater efficiency and greater maximal speed (unless excessive pressing load on he button in this case interferes by greater momentum of stretched fingers and may induce a different optimal position of them)

(The later issue comes up for piano playing but hardly with concertinas....except possibly for an individual with quite low muscular power...a relevant additional question....)

QUOTE (Göran)

QUOTE (Jim)

Note that in my description, I do not claim any extreme flexing. Extremes aren't necessary. I am relaxed. I "cock" my wrists, and I gently arch my hands and fingers.

Goran:"I just don't believe it until I see it "

Jim:"So what? You can disbelieve the law of gravity, for all I care."

Goran:You ought to care more that I don't believe what YOU said....:-)

Present a photo by all means!

Jim:"However, I think it would be worthwhile to hear of others' experiences and opinions regarding the matter. (That's why I started a new Topic.) "

Goran:Not mine though I guess.... so I controlled myself for a couple of days.....

Goran Rahm