Member reputation

Actually, I think I'll just start auctioning off the reputation rankings on eBay. This way I'll make money from the auctions AND by all the extra traffic from all the postings by people complaining about how unfair the eBay reputation auctions are. What genius... Man, I should be working on Wall Street...

Working?

The ones who make the big bucks aren't the ones doing the real work.

Been there.

Been done by that.

A lot of the noisier internet forums use this form of moderation to add a level of self policing to the forums with sanctions available to moderators to deal with low scoring individuals etc.

Other social networking sites use comment "karma" where comments are ranked and presented by score.

All well and good on sites where the great unwashed battle it out every day on politics and celebrity culture.

Utterly innappropriate on a members forum where minor disagreements tend not to escalate too much and the moderator has a firm hand.

These particular gizmos can be divisive in a friendly environment where members can wreak havoc after a minor tiff by voting down all their adversaries posts. Whilst it may be fun to try out in a thread like this, I'd strongly suggest that Paul takes a look at whether these features are really needed in a cosy place like c.net forums. My vote (and a poll might be the answer) is that these features be disabled going forward.

Simon

Edit: now I'm getting upvotes, I'm changing my mind.......

Actually, I think I'll just start auctioning off the reputation rankings on eBay. This way I'll make money from the auctions AND by all the extra traffic from all the postings by people complaining about how unfair the eBay reputation auctions are. What genius... Man, I should be working on Wall Street...

Paul

So you're taking an Olympian model for your God-like status then.

• Downvote 1

Paul

I think I'll change my signature to:

Will Rep your post for $. Click on my PayPal account here. Suitable donation when confirmation received.

Leo

• 2 weeks later...

I'll rate you a five for twenty bucks.

I'll trade you four stars, even, for free.

Well I am now up to +8 against your -4

Are your minuses better than my plusses ?

Am I about to get visited by the Cnet Mafia Police ?

Should I be having sleepless nights?

Oh dear :unsure:

Al

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1

• 2 months later...

I still don't get it. Feeling paranoid. If you find me hanging in the woods you'll all be sorryhuh.gif !

Is this why some old posters seem to have vanished suddenly? It's like something out of Watership Down where the complacent and collusive bunnies just disappear as readily as the stroppy buggers

If you find me hanging in the woods you'll all be sorryhuh.gif !

This threat must have urged our dear administrators to look again for that button, that switches off the whole reputation thing.

I'm sure I saw those red and green +s and -s 2 days ago, and now they're vanished.

Hooray!!

If you find me hanging in the woods you'll all be sorryhuh.gif !

This threat must have urged our dear administrators to look again for that button, that switches off the whole reputation thing.

I'm sure I saw those red and green +s and -s 2 days ago, and now they're vanished.

Hooray!!

I actually kind of liked it, but I think I was probably the only one.

It made me feel like when iI was on eBay a lot selling melodeons/button accordions off to buy my concertinas.

I always seemed to get poison feedback from Colombian accordion players in rough parts of New York who expected flash boxes for peanuts and didn't ,or couldn't , read the descriptions . Wait till the Latino concertina craze takes off!

I'd just got used to it too.

nother string from my e-charity bow has gone ping! - I used to spread lots of pluses around to boost morale, (...and never a minus did I select) particularly for those under attack by the lurker negatives tongue.gif tongue.gif

me too.