Ergonomics articles in ICA Mag by G Rahm

michael sam wild

Has any change actually come about as a result of these detailed recommendations in ICA mag. . I have seen levers and thumb straps on a Dipper Anglo and a wrist strap, but not much radical surgery. Is it because people don't want to change the instrument unecessarily?

I wonder if the Super Tina envisaged in the current issue is actually a melodeon?

Has any change actually come about as a result of these detailed recommendations in ICA mag. . I have seen levers and thumb straps on a Dipper Anglo and a wrist strap, but not much radical surgery. Is it because people don't want to change the instrument unecessarily?

I wonder if the Super Tina envisaged in the current issue is actually a melodeon?

Two things:

1) I don't think people will change their instruments, even in a non-invasive way

2) I (personally) believe that the instrument should be built with the changes, from the start.

3) In general, I have found people a wee bit on the conservative side when it comes to changes (that may take a few days to get used to biggrin.gif)

Beating my own drum now, but when I started playing my modified design-English in 2006, I couldn't even imagine how much "another (and better) instrument" it would feel 6 years later. It led to a well-defined set of rules - a "system" - for fingering, especially in Irish tunes.

/Henrik

• 2 weeks later...
I (personally) believe that the instrument should be built with the changes, from the start.

Some of these changes can be done reversably. I did this on a couple of anglos, found it worked and had it copied and improved on a new instrument.

In general, I have found people a wee bit on the conservative side when it comes to changes (that may take a few days to get used to

Agree; same with note layout. Do you really need a G#/A# in two directions (on a G/D)when there are other notes that are far more useful.

Robin

post-250-0-66841300-1336047897_thumb.jpg

post-250-0-49277400-1336047917_thumb.jpg

Hi Robin

Is that the Dipper you had at the Royal at Bradfield? It seem to have a number of sensible features I have been considering over the years. Maybe I'll get one built one day .. I'll just ahve to sell all the various instrumenst that are not being played B)

I am used to a lever for the air button on a melodeon/button accordion.

Hi Robin,

Will you be at the Kiwi this week? I'd love to have a closer look, as I've been thinking of making this modification for playing while standing. I did sort of a half-step on my Tedrow with a thumb loop (basically a looped-around extension of the regular handstrap) which works pretty well, but like the looks of the padded thumbstrap and wrist strap.

bill