Crabb Crane Duet

chas

Thanks for pictures.

Although octagonal,

Flat wood tops with no edge bevel, Butterworth/Lachenal button spacing, and rudimentary strap fixing/adjuster suggests budget model to meet Salvation Army price requirement.

Reeds, however, would be to best standard.

Geoffrey

Although octagonal,

Flat wood tops with no edge bevel, Butterworth/Lachenal button spacing, and rudimentary strap fixing/adjuster suggests budget model to meet Salvation Army price requirement.

Reeds, however, would be to best standard.

Thanks again, Geoffrey - invaluable information.

Ultimately, it's the reeds that matter most to me and they certainly sound fine, bar 2 or 3 that need attention.

The Butterworth button spacing surprised me when I first saw it but it's what I've been used to before so that's OK.

I can live with the strap fixing, rudimentary as you say, or maybe replace it. The edges do have some bevel to them, which is more obvious when the pics are opened to full screen.

I had no idea that the Salvation Army were still buying concertinas in the 1960s. I guess we should be grateful to them.

Chas

Chas,

What I meant is no machined bevel as in this picture.

The small amount of new instrument orders but considerable repair work from the Salvation Army kept the firm going at the time till the revival so yes, we should be grateful.

Geoffrey

Chas,

What I meant is no machined bevel as in this picture.

Ah got it now (I failed woodwork). I hope to be able to post the sound of this instrument in due course.

Intriguing extra button on your photo?

The small amount of new instrument orders but considerable repair work from the Salvation Army kept the firm going at the time till the revival so yes, we should be grateful.

I guess Crabb's would have had change the pitch of a lot of concertinas for Salvationists in the mid-'60s Geoff, seeing that the Salvation Army only changed to A=440 in 1964?

• 2 weeks later...

I guess Crabb's would have had change the pitch of a lot of concertinas for Salvationists in the mid-'60s Geoff, seeing that the Salvation Army only changed to A=440 in 1964?

Sure thing Stephen. Between 5 & 10 instruments every week. The cost involved in pitch change for all instruments used within the SA delayed the change from high (Salvation Army) pitch.

Geoffrey