Folk Song In England - Steve Roud And Julia Bishop

Roger Hare

I see that in 2012, there was a thread about the (then) newly published 'New Penguin

Book of English Folk Song' edited by Steve Roud(*) and Julia Bishop.

I just acquired a copy of 'Folk Song in England' by the same authors - a recently published

and weighty tome. It's 'social history' rather than a 'tune book' - there are only a few

musical examples, which seem to be related to an explanation of modal theory.

First impressions: Looks like an extremely interesting read, although I've only dipped into it

briefly so far. It looks to be wider-ranging than, and roughly twice the size of A. L. Lloyds

similarly named book (1967), though of course size ain't important... :)

Does anyone else here have the book? Any impressions/reviews?

Roger.

(*) Dozy as ever, I did not at first make the connection between Steve Roud and Roud Numbers...

Edited by lachenal74693

• 3 weeks later...

There's a very intriguing review of this book here:

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2017/nov/11/folk-song-in-england-by-steve-roud?CMP=share_btn_link

Although Julia Bishop is not mentioned at all in the article... It certainly looks a good companion to E. David Gregory's "Victorian Songhunters" and I think I'll ask Father Christmas for a copy...

Adrian

Edited by adrian brown

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2017/nov/11/folk-song-in-england-by-steve-roud?CMP=share_btn_link

Although Julia Bishop is not mentioned at all in the article... It certainly looks a good companion to E. David Gregory's "Victorian Songhunters" and I think I'll ask Father Christmas for a copy...

Adrian

Indeed, Julia Bishop’s name is not on the cover of the book, although the title page says:

Folk Song in England

===============

STEVE ROUD

With music chapters by Julia Bishop

Edited by David Barnert

Twee and a tad tongue-in-cheek at the same time - typical Gruaniad.

Extremely poor practice.not to mention Julia Bishop - also typical Gruaniad - possibly simple sloppiness due to the fact

(already pointed out) that JBs name is not on the cover.

I never really got over the 'The Manchester Guardian'.becoming 'The Gruaniad'...

Edited by lachenal74693