?safe Long Distance Buying?

semaj1950

Hi gang,

I've recently been negotiating a concertina deal for which is neither under the aegis of Ebay or any other on-line organization. The seller seems like a perfectly delightful chap, and I trust myself on good days, but the question is this: how can a buyer and seller carry out a long distance transaction safely and as inexpensively as possible? I am primarily concerned about safely transferring funds and goods. As far as quality goes, Caveat Emptor

I'm sure I could just send this person a money order, and he'd mail me the instrument, and no problems would arise. However, things do happen. Is COD the best option for this type of thing, even if the post orafice or UPS makes a little extra money?

Please advise,

Jim

Hi gang,

I've recently been negotiating a concertina deal for which is neither under the aegis of Ebay or any other on-line organization. The seller seems like a perfectly delightful chap, and I trust myself on good days, but the question is this: how can a buyer and seller carry out a long distance transaction safely and as inexpensively as possible? I am primarily concerned about safely transferring funds and goods. As far as quality goes, Caveat Emptor

I'm sure I could just send this person a money order, and he'd mail me the instrument, and no problems would arise. However, things do happen. Is COD the best option for this type of thing, even if the post orafice or UPS makes a little extra money?

Please advise,

Jim

Have you considered using escrow?

-Andy

? Is this transaction within the US, or at least in US Funds? The exchange of funds can be the trickiest.

I believe that the Button Box will be the "go between person" for a fee of course, it would delay your receipt of the instrument a bit, but would ease your mind.

Also, you can run a private eBay auction, and use escrow, or at least their buyer protection program, but that would cost additional money too.

I recently did a transaction with a fellow in Australia. The transaction went smoothly but Western Union took a big chunk of money or transferring funds.

Good luck, and famous last words....don't worry!

:blink:

When I bought my Stagii last year (through the Buy and Sell forum of this very illustrious site) it was a nerve wracking experience.

While this is no slur on the gentleman I bought from, my main concerns were that I was buying an instrument sight-unseen, and would not see the instrument until I had paid my money, so I can understand your concerns. There is an enormous amount of trust involved.

I think all of the above suggestions are good ones. Do you know anyone who lives near the seller, who can check out the instrument (for obvious damage, to hear the tone etc)?

To avoid the outrageous cost of obtaining overseas currency, I made a direct payment into the seller's bank account. The concertina turned up in mint condition as promised, and the seller even very kindly threw in a "surprise" in the form on a concertina tutorial and CD. So overall I was fortunate to have a very positive internet buying exprirence.

However you are definitely right when you say "Let the buyer beware". I am a big believer in trusting your instincts. If you have any doubts at all about proceeding, then dont.

Just a few random neurons firing,

Best of luck, and please let us know what you decide to do.

Cheers

Morgana

You might look into using Escrow.com. It worked well for buying an old box from overseas. It doesn't have to be an ebay transaction. You and the seller agree on the terms and set up a contract. They hold the money until you get the instrument and agree you want it. If not, you return it and once the seller confirms it came back OK, escrow.com releases your money back to you. If say you want to keep it (or say nothing by the agreed deadline), your money is remitted to the seller. Yes, they took their pound of flesh, but it was worth it for such a transaction. I will offer to use escrow.com if I ever get around to selling some of my junk, er...old concertinas!

I have recently sold two (non-concertina) items to people overseas (1 in Belgium, 1 in Austria). In both cases I supplied details of my bank account and they paid the requisite number of euros into it. When I got my statement I found the bank had played fairly and had used the normal exchange rate with no commission. So that would definitely be my reccomendation for payment. Both purchasers just had to trust me when it came to hoping I would send the items - but that ended happily as far as both were concerned too.

Oddly, if it were a concertina item they would probably have had more security because, in this forum at any rate, I have a reputation to guard - I post too much!

Consequently if someone were to post here that I was a dishonest git and they had the evidence to prove it, my reputation would be blackened in the sight of people whose good opinion I value, and that would be a pretty effective deterrent even if I weren't Legal, Decent, Honest and Truthful by nature. The same holds true of many (probably most) of us who post here.

Chris

Both purchasers just had to trust me...

And therein lies the problem, Chris. The Jim who asked the question is a buyer, not a seller, and he apparently doesn't know the seller or his reputation. So he asked for some way to base his own security on more than trust. Reasonable enough.

Meanwhile, I agree that wire transfer of funds on an expensive purchase is the best way to go when trust is not a concern.

And therein lies the problem, Chris.  The Jim who asked the question is a buyer, not a seller, and he apparently doesn't know the seller or his reputation.  So he asked for some way to base his own security on more than trust.  Reasonable enough.

Well, yes, obviously. I'm completely aware that my point is only of relevance to people who are habitues of fora such as this. I still felt it worth making.

Chris

As long as you're a private member, you don't have to pay fees to Paypal and it is very fast. I think their exchange rates are a little out of whack though (On a deal in UK pounds that I figured should be C$805, their exchange rate came to C$825. But they are fast. If there is no currency exchange there is no problem.

Thanks to all of you for your advice. What I finally did, was exchange pleasantries with the seller, asked questions about the instrument in question, found out that the seller is a social worker, and then said the heck with it, if this guy is a social worker he doesn't have time to come up with novel ways to rip folks off. He know that's why we have governments.

I told myself that you must trust someone sometime, so I did. He mailed the concertina the day before I mailed hime the money order, it arrived in perfect condition, and all is well.

Thanks again,

Jim

I told myself that you must trust someone sometime, so I did.  He mailed the concertina the day before I mailed hime the money order, it arrived in perfect condition, and all is well.

Excellent! The truth is, although there are crooks out there, most people can be trusted to behave honourably or society wouldn't work at all.

Hav fun with your new box!

Chris