Rock Chidley

I live in New Zealand.

On a local folk website a Rock Chidley is being advertised.

What should I ask the sellar to help me identify it.

The ad states its in good order and its $NZ 900 which I think is about US$600.

I suspect it will be more antique than useable.

Any info on this manufacturer will help I guess.

I have seen a web site which notes there was company existing from 1850 to 1865 and prior to that Rock worked for Wheatstone.

Regards

Grant

What should I ask the sellar to help me identify it.

I'm a little unsure what you are asking for here. It will probably be an English system, although Chidley anglos are not unknown. English system concertinas of this age sometimes have 24 buttons rather than the standard 48, so check that.

If you are a beginner, and not sure what questions to ask the seller, try looking around the 'buying' area of this site, and if still stuck send me a personal mail and I'll try to help.

I suspect it will be more antique than useable

On the contrary, most of the Chidleys I've seen make perfectly acceptable playing instruments after restoration, as do most others of this age. It depends on what kind of condition it is in currently, and how much you will need to spend to bring it up to the standard you want. Just don't expect the loudness or super quick response of later instruments.

Any info on this manufacturer will help I guess.

I have seen a web site which notes there was company existing from 1850 to 1865 and prior to that Rock worked for Wheatstone.

I don't think anymore info on this maker will help you much, other than to say that Chidley concertinas were built to a similar level of quality as Wheatstone.