WHITBY FOLK WEEK 2012

Our Euro-sessions Anglo-meistress is already Mata-Hariing on the ground, but may be useful for anyone planning to be there to collate thoughts here? :rolleyes:

Some folk are already known to be arriving only on 20th, to avoid concatenations with the Regatta people.

There is discussion elsewhere of what constitutes a Euro-toon. Should we warn off the five Russian singers who performed last year and were accompanied by most instrumentalists?

To make sure everyone can join in any of the foreign tunes one suggestions has been to put up (here?) any of your planned toons as dots, abc, midi, youtube (Anlej often uses youtube alone to learn a new tune by ear) or a straigt MP3 recording of yr own.

It might help if new melodies were played through three times, Last year they often started but played only one or twice through. So other players could not pick up and playalong.

Countries which did not make it last year included Greece, Spain, Nederlands and.............?? Does la musique québécoise count as French ou non?

Check yr memory toon banks against the list of member, candidate, associate and plain European countries. The Vatican is there so Latin toons must be up for playing I suppose!? The Day of Wrath approaches:

here's the straight, (rather gutless and overpolite version sounding like a Sunday picnic) -- (perhaps Dirge could help with a model thunderous version praps) lowed by two bellows machines which pick up the Gregorian melody at around 1.19

plain with text:

twotimer bellows

The Kubrick, Jack Nicholson version (needs Bass concertinas and melodeons and accordeons and bass saxes and Low D flutes)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QBnadB7vU0

Austria (1995)

Belgium (1952)

Bulgaria (2007)

Cyprus (2004)

Czech Republic (2004)

Denmark (1973)

Estonia (2004)

Finland (1995)

France (1952)

Germany (1952)

Greece (1981)

Hungary (2004)

Ireland (1973)

Italy (1952)

Latvia (2004)

Lithuania (2004)

Luxembourg (1952)

Malta (2004)

Netherlands (1952)

Poland (2004)

Portugal (1986)

Romania (2007)

Slovakia (2004)

Slovenia (2004)

Spain (1986)

Sweden (1995)

United Kingdom (1973)

Candidate countries

Croatia

Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia

Iceland

Montenegro

Serbia

Turkey

Other European countries

Albania

Andorra

Armenia

Azerbaijan

Belarus

Bosnia and Herzegovina

Georgia

Liechtenstein

Moldova

Monaco

Norway

Russia

San Marino

Switzerland

Ukraine

Vatican City State

Edited by Kautilya

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

biggrin.gif two addictive tunes picked up from last year's session were

in a selection of minor keys. and
the Hurdy Gurdys gave a hypnoptic quality

the pdf has dots for Sansonette in Am, Bm and Em biggrin.gif and 3 other tunes I remember from last year .........

Valse des Chevaux de Bois, Le Revenant, and Metsakukkia

Euro session tunes.pdf

Where do the eurosessions happen?

Any ideas of which days?

Steve

smile.gif they were a fringe event in The Resolution from about 3pm Mon to Fri I think, but I only got to a few of them due to other commitments and had nothing to do with the organisation so can't say if that's what's happening this year.

They were some of the best sessions of Folk Week, friendly, a wide variety of instruments, lots of new tunes to listen to/learn and enough that were already known to join in with biggrin.gif

.... thinking of the 'to learn' .... must start practising the Andalucian Arabic

(sneaks in to Euro under Spain wink.gif ) which was a proper 'earworm' last year. Can't find the abc Jack Campin sent me but here's a pdf of the dots smile.gif

Lamma+Bada+Yatathanna.pdf

Edited by anlej

smile.gif they were a fringe event in The Resolution from about 3pm Mon to Fri I think but I was only there a few afternoons due to other commitments and had nothing to do with the organisation so can't say if that's what's happening this year.

They were some of the best sessions of Folk Week, friendly, a wide variety of instruments, lots of new tunes to listen to/learn and enough that were already known to join in with biggrin.gif

Thanks - I'll try and make it for 1 or 2 days this year.

useful Whitby Bus Timetables smile.gif

The 91 Castle Park circular goes from the bus station, up past the Dr's surgery, Stakesby School and the Rugby Club entrance on White Leys Road before heading back into town

The 98 West Cliff circular also passes the Rugby Club on the Stakesby Road and Love Lane sides before going along the cliff top past the Spa, returning into town

The 1 and 1a Tour buses pass the Bandstand, the Whalebones and go along West Cliff before heading back past Pannett Park then over New Bridge and up to the Abbey. The ticket for this bus is valid for a day and you can hop on and off at the stops as you wish smile.gif

useful Whitby Bus Timetables smile.gif

Great! - Always wanted to meet Dracula on the No1 or 1A - is this true about use:

"Using your pass outside London

If you've got a [RED!]rose symbol or a bus hologram on your pass you can use it on local buses all over England. You can use it between 09:30 and 23:00 on weekdays and at any time on weekends and public holidays.

[i hope the Red rose wont mean holders will be handbagged by White Rosers of Yorkshire?!]

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/14305.aspx

PS for firstimers to Whitby the omnipresent hills in the various narrow strees in and around town can be real killers if you are a poor walker.

Hence the usefulness of Anlej's bus tips - will now have to work out out which ones actually pass The Resolution which is a few steps back up the hill from the Elsinore. The latter is a very tight on space compared with the Resolution's big armchairs, wide dancing/seating area below the dining area and of course that long bar.......

Pre practising by ear:

alas no Monday but

all in one place rather than digging around:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFF1cXrRqRo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFOqXt4G24o

Edited by Kautilya

- will now have to work out out which ones actually pass The Resolution which is a few steps back up the hill from the Elsinore.

smile.gif both the 91 and 98 should go down St. Hilda's Terrace / top Flowergate then Brunswick Street on the return journeys to the bus station. There's a handy bus stop just before the junction of Skinner Street with St. Hilda's Terrace, get off there and it's a short stroll down to both the Resolution and the Elsinore biggrin.gif

,,,,,, miss that stop and the next drop off is outside Boyes Store and a steep haul back up Brunswick Street sad.gif

Edited by anlej

- will now have to work out out which ones actually pass The Resolution which is a few steps back up the hill from the Elsinore.

smile.gif both the 91 and 98 should go down St. Hilda's Terrace / top Flowergate then Brunswick Street on the return journeys to the bus station. There's a handy bus stop just before the junction of Silver Street with St. Hilda's Terrace, get off there and it's a short stroll down to both the Resolution and the Elsinore biggrin.gif

,,,,,, miss that stop and the next drop off is outside Boyes Store and a steep haul back up Brunswick Street sad.gif

Ta - alles klaar! (a German song trying to get out there!)

I now realise the easy way into The Resolution from that bus stop would be by then using the Resolution main door which is rather hidden, just a few yards up Skinner St on the right -- this goes on the flat past reception-

Whereas the lower Resolution door on StHilda's, just a few yards above a snicket and the Elsinore has about 20 steep lobby steps to get you up into the main Resolution bar. :(

as far as I know concessionary bus passes can be used on all the town services after 9.30 am. but not on the tour buses smile.gif

to make planning easier ......

roads on the 91 route starting from the bus station

Bagdale then Chubb Hill Road, Kirkham Road, Byland Road, Runswick Avenue, High Stakesby Road, Castle Road, Stone Cross Road, White Leys Road, Stakesby Road, back onto High Stakesby, Runswick Ave., Byland Rd., Kirkham Rd. then onto Chubb Hill and down St. Hilda's Terrace, top Flowergate, Brunswick Street and back to the bus station.

the 98 Route: Bus Station, Bagdale, Chubb Hill Rd, Spring Vale, West Thorpe, Stakesby Rd, Castle Rd, Love Lane, White Bridge Rd, Upgang Lane, down Argyle Rd. past the Metropole, North Terrace on the cliff top past the Spa Pavilion , Royal Hotel, Hudson Street, Havelock Place, John Street, Crescent Avenue, Upgang Lane, St Hildas Terrace, top Flowergate, Brunswick Street, Boyes Store

biggrin.gif

Working on countries omitted from Kautilya's list... I've got a nice one from Kosovo (not easy), there is one that EVERYBODY knows which I have seen attributed to South Ossetia by somebody who should know, and there is quite a bit of free-reed-friendly music from Abkhazia, Dagestan and Chechnya, will try to find something workable. Transdnistria and Kalmykia are a bit more difficult. Can you imagine this in the Resolution?

The first territory to adopt the euro was Réunion, since it's part of France and a long way east of most of it. Quebec isn't part of France but St Pierre and Miquelon are. The furthest-away place that's legally part of Europe is Bouvet Island, a piece of Norway. Penguin songs anybody?

Liechtenstein? Is it actually big enough that you can play a tune on the concertina without having at least one elbow in a different country?

Working on countries omitted from Kautilya's list... I've got a nice one from Kosovo (not easy), there is one that EVERYBODY knows which I have seen attributed to South Ossetia by somebody who should know, and there is quite a bit of free-reed-friendly music from Abkhazia, Dagestan and Chechnya, will try to find something workable. Transdnistria and Kalmykia are a bit more difficult. Can you imagine this in the Resolution?

The first territory to adopt the euro was Réunion, since it's part of France and a long way east of most of it. Quebec isn't part of France but St Pierre and Miquelon are. The furthest-away place that's legally part of Europe is Bouvet Island, a piece of Norway. Penguin songs anybody?

Liechtenstein? Is it actually big enough that you can play a tune on the concertina without having at least one elbow in a different country?

I think I'll pass on that Klamydia one (or wherever it is called) - someone else can probably pick it up more easily... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I remember Martin Bangemann (not from Klamydia) saying at the LSE that maybe Quebec and Canada should originally have been part of the EEC when founded; and René Lévesque in Brussels with Paul-Henri Spaark above a pub in 1972, so I reckon we can include the unofficial Quebec ( can;t find those accents,...)anthem which, thanks to one of our Canadian colleagues, is coming up in another post shortly.

GENS DU PAYS HYMNE NATIONAL DE QUEBEC

I find this too tricky to play and it aint easy to sing either tho tens of thousands of Quebecers manage it en masse ( :D ) and it is a great toon and song.

Utube with words on screen sung by composer Gilles Vigneault:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdf9aqRk--0

lyrics

Voici l'intégrale de l'hymne national du Québec (peuple de la Nouvelle-France) écrit et interprété par Gilles Vigneault. C'est l'hymne le plus pacifique que je connaisse!

Québec National Anthem (pour la vaste majorité des canadiens anglais qui n'ont jamais pris la peine d'apprendre le Français)

Il démontre ce qu'est le peuple québécois: le berceau du français en Amérique, un peuple d'ouverture, d'amitié, de fraternité et de fierté.

Nous aurons notre pays francophone en Amérique un jour ou l'autre. Il faut juste y croire et travailler pour l'avoir!

Vive le Québec libre et français!

Lyrics

Le temps qu'on a pris pour se dire je t'aime

C'est le seul qui reste au bout de nos jours

Les voeux que l'on fait les fleurs que l'on sème

Chacun les récolte en soi-même

Aux beaux jardin du temps qui court

Gens du pays c'est votre tour

De vous laisser parler d'amour

Le temps de s'aimer, le jour de le dire

Fond comme la neige aux doigts du printemps

Fêtons de nos joies, fêtons de nos rires

Ces yeux où nos regards se mirent

C'est demain que j'avais vingt ans

Le ruisseau des jours aujourd'hui s'arrête

Et forme un étang ou chacun peut voir

Comme en un miroir l'amour qu'il reflète

Pour ces coeurs à qui je souhaite

Le temps de vivre leurs espoirs

MORE variants here for ear learning playing:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=GENS+DU+PAYS&oq=GENS+DU+PAYS&gs_l=youtube-reduced.3..0l4.5743.7837.0.8084.12.6.0.4.4.0.533.2550.2-1j1j2j2.6.0...0.0...1ac.NCFDluGGZTw

Attached file for chords and various keys (maybe someone has already posted this very useful French song finder

http://www.boiteachansons.net/Partitions/Gilles-Vigneault/Gens-du-pays.php#

but I will put it in tunes thread elswhere too for future reference.

Edited by Kautilya

WELSH Offerings

(will it help to post toons by country boxes or will it clog up by repeating text from earlier posts?)

Starting with a swoony piece:

Y deryn pur (uh derrun peer)

You may remember Mary Hopkins singing this a long time ago. Written by Dafydd Nicolas (1704-1769) who ran a school at Llangynwyd.

The Gentle Dove - Y deryn pur DOUBLEwelenglWORDS Score KeyofG Midi .doc

Whitby2012 OTHER WELSH FAMILIARS

with click on links after long list in attached file Whitby2012 OTHER WELSH FAMILIARS.

This ain't exhaustive at all

Countries which did not make it last year included Greece, Spain, Nederlands and.............?? Does la musique québécoise count as French ou non?

Check yr memory toon banks against the list of member, candidate, associate and plain European countries. The Vatican is there so Latin toons must be up for playing I suppose!? The Day of Wrath approaches:

No mention of the Isle of Man?

I have put a few Manx tunes in the Tune-O Tron, have a go at Peter o'Tavy. It is normally played a tad slower than the midi file. Hope to catch up with the session this year.

Estonian music:

http://www.rahvamuusika.ee/?s=257 (nice samples, full-length tunes)

For Kosovo, look in my Nine Note Tune Book:

http://www.campin.me.uk/Music/Chalumeau.abc

for "Vallja E Tri Motrave".

Recording I got it from (different key):

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=IOb1CEEE2hs

Bit tricky finding way around the Tallin backstreets of that Estonian site but eventually discovered four tunes to listen to at the bottom of this link

http://www.rahvamuusika.ee/?s=248

and I really liked Väike Seltsike!

Loads of ABCs on yr site !

tks