What our concertinas look like?

Here is my 1912 56key Aeola [passed to me from Granddad - Danny - in 2004] and one of Granddad's extras - a circa 1896 60key New Model[purchased 2nd hand for £5 sometime in the past, and gifted to another family member who gave up trying to learn it; and so it was the one I started off on] , i.e. a Wheatstone and Lachenal respectively.

1331035545_resized.jpg?width=720&height=540

1331036034_resized.jpg?width=720&height=540

1331036050_resized.jpg?width=720&height=540

1331041105_resized.jpg?width=720&height=540

1331041184_resized.jpg?width=720&height=540

1331041124_resized.jpg?width=720&height=540

1331041198_resized.jpg?width=720&height=540

I've not had luck with my image hosting - so I've created a specific public gallery where you can see all 7 images [ps +4 more] here.

Edited by kevin toner

• 3 weeks later...

Just prized from Chris Algar's "wall of wonder"

here's my new edeophone.

post-758-0-47208000-1333379741_thumb.jpg

Chris reckons that it's a very early one (simpler fretwork than came along later) and with it's serial number 32898 must be after 1889 (earliest edeo)

and before 1895 (lachenal with a known date). It's in immaculate condition though considering it's around twice my age! (Now I have to learn to be careful about not letting it roll off tables)

Edited by spindizzy

My first concertina, a G/D Morse (I don't count the Hohner D40 that's around here somewhere), and its more recently acquired companion, a latter-day C/G Wheatstone Aeola:

4226602993_6d88b6aae7_m.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Dipper 30 button in G/D. No drone button. Amboyna ends, and the keys are turned from ebony piano keys. I bought this from Chris Algar. Dipper had made it for someone in Australia (as I understand it) and it appeared to be almost unplayed when I bought it. It certainly isn't unplayed now! Needed some tweaking on the valves and a couple of notes were a bit out. Sorted out by my teacher and friend, Alan Davies, and now a pleasure to play. The keys are larger and warmer to the touch than the metal "pins" on the Jeffries. My only slight quibble is that the lowest pull note on the left hand D row is an E where I prefer an A. That and the absence of a drone (which I use as a bass note on my other two boxes) result in some of my repertoire needing to be adapted for this box.

Jeffries 38 in B flat/F. A beautiful instrument, restored to a very high standard by the same person. It has a truly beautiful tone. The arrangement of accidentals is non-standard for a Jeffries, to keep it more consistent with my other two boxes.

Marcus "Deluxe" 30 key in G/D. One of the bass notes has been swapped on the D row to give me a big fat A/A7 chord. I have also removed the original red sponge/felt baffles from behind the metal ends to let it breathe more easily. It made a noticeable difference, especially on the pull. This was my first good quality box. It has accordion reeds and is less pure in tone, but is nice to play. It's also less of a risk playing outdoors in busy places. If this one is stolen, then it can be replaced like with like within a few months, The other two are almost irreplaceable - the Dipper probably literally so. I chose plain black bellows papers for the Marcus, partly for the mean and moody aesthetic, and partly because having "Jeffries" or "Wheatstone" papers on a Marcus would be like putting a Triumph badge on the tank of a Suzuki.

...having "Jeffries" or "Wheatstone" papers on a Marcus would be like putting a Triumph badge on the tank of a Suzuki.

Reminds me of a car that used to be parked near the administration building when I was at university: a VW bug with a Mercedes emblem. B) (This was well before someone popularized customizing the VW bug with a Mercedes-like nose.)

• Thanks 1

Someone local came to the guesthouse with what he claimed was a Ferrari, complete with badges, but looked to me like a late model Datsun280Z. Recognisable as I had 3 240Zs in succession and it sounded the same .He was adamant until we looked under the bonnet and there was the Datsun straight six engine, looking almost identical in layout to my 240Z! Car disappeared from locality quite quickly! I don't know whether he was showing off or had been sold a pup! (that is, paying over the odds for something it wasn't!)