Fun With Thread Drift

On the creation theme, I've just spent 48 hours in "management speak" hell at a work conference. We had got so fed up of the riddulous "physco-babble" that me and a few colleagues just started making up new phrases to entertain ourselves.

Which made me smile and remember Keith Runcorn Professor of Geophysics at Newcastle, an early proponent of continental drift before it was a fashionable idea. He had a very distinctive lecturing style which involved many long lingering "eeerrrrr's" betrween phrases, or sometimes between words when the concepts got really tough.

My fellow postgrads and I would entertain ourselves by counting the number of eeerrr's in a lecture and could then rate the lectures on the number of eeerr's per hour. We even invented and named the unit of the Runcorn R as his average number of eeerrr's per hour. I forget what the number per hour was for a unit of 1 R but I do recall that we had to also invent the milliRuncorn to measure other lecturers rate of eeerrr-ing.

I am reminded of the "milliHelen" - the measure of beauty sufficient to launch a single ship.

We came up with the quota beer drinking system. You need to have your quota of beer every night. (3 pints; just the right amount) So once you'd had your 3 you would be quotoid, that led tovariants; biquotoid after 6, people would run into the college bar shortly before closing yelling 'Give me 2 pints I'm Aquotoid', would be polyquotoid when they lost count. Make your own up...I still have trouble leaving a pub on less than 3 pints, seems sort of Wrong.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be delighted to bring a few over with me when I visit New England in June, but I think there might be difficulties with Customs.

Brain. I hope you'll let us New Englanders know when you are coming...mabye a session?

As to the hedgehogs, I'm sure customs could get prickely about that :lol: .

Edited by Mark Evans

Here is another image of Angel of the North with me and some friends in front of it.

quartetofangels.jpg

Noel (second from left) plays English Concertina. I'm third from left failing in my attempt to build a third bollard out of melodeons..

Handsome group Theo. I was really wondering what sort of percussion instrumets those were framing Angel of the North (nice name that) when it finally dawned on me....sculpture!

With six English Setters I have to keep the grass cut Gerry for a number(2) of reasons.

Al

Wow! How do you find time to play the 'tina, what with all the demands for walkies and all. My best friend through my teenage years was a border collie called Mickie. That's him in the avatar. Now sadly long gone, but his memory will live in me forever.

Talking of holidays, anyone know of a session in Tunisia (Sousse) next week B)

Talking of holidays, anyone know of a session in Tunisia (Sousse) next week B)

Some quick googling led to the following information: " The tourist influence is strong in Sousse, and there are many businesses to attract them: Seville Shopping Center, Las Vegas Shopping, Rose and Crown English Pub, O'Connor's Irish Pub,..."

Nothing more, but I guess you could find O'Connor's and inquire there. :)

My wife and I spent three hours transporting female toads with the little males on their backs during their mating season ,across the road.

Alan, near "Fanny's Farm Shop" :) (one of my regular haunts), a couple of new road signs appeared this time two years ago; frog on a triangular warning sign, with "Frogs Crossing" underneath. You could try this; it might not significantly reduce the mortality rate, but would free up a lot of your time.

Regards,

Peter.

Speaking of frogs, as in the laryngitis kind, my favorite cure is to drink hot pineapple juice.
I'm going to try a pint of Master Brew, tonight. Usually works! :rolleyes:

http://www.shepherd-neame.co.uk/index.html

I think it works even if you don't have laryngitis.

I remember in my college days at Gravesend (on the lower Thames) our lunchtime pub was a Shepherd-neame house, called The Three Daws. When the tide was flowing you could hear the beer barrels boinging together in the cellar. Or was it frogs ?

I thought they preferred to inhabit wine cellars. B)

I had french fries for lunch, speaking of which.

Talking of Legs,if your knees start knocking during a performance,if you clamp your knees tightly together it stops it.

This information comes from the Day book of utterly useless information.

Al