Concertina Playing As Therapy

Thank you all for your lovely words of support and for those lovely personal messages sent direct.

If something happens in ones life, a personal tragedy or serious illness, it does tend to put the stupid day to day little problems into perspective as Henk has said.If however a serious problen arises in your life, you have all shown, that there are many friends here to help you through it.

Al :)

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, so many here have really been through some difficult things. Thanks, all of you, for sharing your stories, and for affirming how helpful and therapeutic playing --or even just listening to -- music can be.

I didn't say it in my previous post in this thread, but, I certainly play for therapy. I mean, few people who are sick or recovering would actually dislike music! Or find the process of singing/performing it to be less than healing, physically, mentally, or whatever.

I did have to sort of force myself to get going again on some music, years ago, after going through really horrible circumstances that made me feel totally put-down and less than human. And, I'd had some negative comments from some people, like, 'Well, I could do that. I just don't (sing/play, etc.). Why do you bother? You're not really that great...'

...Not in those exact words, of course, but -- that was the general idea.

Okay...so, just because I'm not the world's greatest, I should shut up and just eat and sleep. Hmm. That doesn't really make a lot of sense! Music is not just a performance contest.

My personal list of hardships includes a divorce and then very difficult times (related or not) following it, not simply due to financial matters but all kinds of stuff. I could not believe how horrible things became.

These days, if things are peaceful or going well, I sometimes feel like I'm just waiting for the next crisis. Like there's a law against my life being okay.

So, playing and writing music is kind of like a shelter in a storm, I guess!

Forgive me for what I'm about to do...but Wendy has scratched an ich o mine.

For the last 15 years I have been a voice teacher on and off (doesn't speak well for my character I know). Durning that time I have had a large number of adult students who in their 40+ years have decided to give themselves voice lessons and find out why they can't sing (they think they can't sing).

In almost every case where these students came in all bound up not able to use their instruments, the root cause has been some unkind remark by an authority figure in their past (Sister Assumpta: "you're horrible, just move your mouth with everybody else...just don't sing!").

Long, hard road coming back from that. Some couldn't and there was no reason other than that strident harpy's screech still ringing in their ears.

Glad you didn't let some foolishness shut you up Wendy...Bravo!

My mini-rant is now finished, with apologies. :(

Edit to clean up a bit a' creative spellin'. :ph34r:

Edited by Mark Evans

Well, I actually did have a lot of good input, musically speaking, while growing up. (That may have been the 'problem!' :D )

I don't even recall who made the negative comments (so long ago, now) -- but it seems that it was more than one person, and that it was someone(s) I worked with in the corporate world (for a short time). I think the idea was that I should just be working like a dog at a regular, acceptable job before I even considered doing frivolous things like singing (which, obviously, anyone could do, if they felt like it). It was more of a plug for 'corporate consumption' than a deliberate hit on my favorite hobbies!

I DID work like a dog. (Except, my dogs don't work much!) For me, though, that mostly meant going in stupid circles, like making just enough money to gas up the dying car to get to the job to make just enough money to gas up the dying car to get to the job. And, getting whatever flu everyone had and not getting to recover from it....ETC.!

Anyway, since, I've worked at other jobs, the last one being at an Ayurveda Health Center (quite a while ago, now) and that wasn't so bad. But, I have TONS of jobs to do at home, and it doesn't bother me to stay home.....as long as I can play my concertina (or accordion) and sing.

I wouldn't mind doing some charitable musical work if something turned up, but, quite often I am the one that's sick, myself -- or, as it is, my father being a preacher (...which is not a fair indication of my own ideas/beliefs), HE's the one that's got the 'turf,' and if I go sing somewhere around here, I am 'the pastor's daughter.' :blink: Scary.....'specially if one forgets, and starts singing about a drunken sailor....heheh.

I am 'the pastor's daughter.'  :blink:    Scary.....'specially if one forgets, and starts singing about a drunken sailor....heheh.

"Musical Priest" isn't just the name of a C.net member, it's also the name of an Irish reel (and a nickname for Father Charlie Cohen, concertina player). If you don't know it already, maybe you should learn it. ;)

Yes, Mark, that scratches my sore spot too! I can't tell you how many people I meet, from parents of students, to would-be singers in my chorus, who were told to stand in the back and mouth the words in their youth! It makes me so mad!!! :angry:

I'm so grateful to have the opportunity to teach a generation of kids that they can sing, and to offer a safe place for women to try out their voices in harmony. And, to stay on topic, I get to play the concertina from time to time and show them it's never too late to learn new tricks! :lol:

Hi Mark,

Sorry to have disappointed you. I didn't post a concern about Stephen because I had emailed him off line about a question. So I knew he was okay. At least then. And he did post saying he was going off line for a while to do something. I think fool around with his new instruments or get his business going. Sorry I forget what.

But I hope all is well with him and everyone.

I'm home with the flu (after deciding I was just lazy and dragging myself to work). If this thread is still going when I am more coherent, hm that might be a while, I might post about my elementary music teacher telling me not to sing. To just mouth the words for the Christmas thingy. I never sang again.

Helen

Thank you Helen for the Stephen update (I'm sure he's spending time with that beautiful Ambonia English...gelosia manga mi cuore!).

Elementary school teaher eh? I'm in a state over one with my daughter (not music thankfully). Take blood pressure medication I do, and took an extra beta blocker (am told it puts a rosey glow on an otherwise "Crabb" like personality) this evening durning homework so as not to get stark ravin' loony in front a' the kids :angry: .

What's this about not singin'? :o

Allison, you are about holy work and my thanks to ya'!

Edited by Mark Evans

I became curious and found this (Gigablast search engine):

http://www.the-athenaeum.org/art/display_image.php?id=11163

/Henrik

That is Sooooo gorgeous!

I went to the website, but couldn't figure out how to find out who the artist is...at least not now while I am really too tired to still be typing.

Do you know who is the artist?

That is truly beautiful.

"Musical Priest" isn't just the name of a C.net member, it's also the name of an Irish reel (and a nickname for Father Charlie Cohen, concertina player).  If you don't know it already, maybe you should learn it. ;)

Hmm...maybe! I dunno, sometimes I think I'd have more fun just running off with a drunken sailor...oops, what am I saying, I'm married. Right. Should remember that. :P

Well, I'll tell ya. I manage to keep light-hearted about it all and just laugh (eventually) at the stresses caused by religious quirks and stuff, but, really, it can get to be such evil warfare....for instance:

As I've said, I went through a divorce, way back. (I have been married now, the second time, for over 20 years.) The circumstances of it were quite odd, and either 'side' would have a different story about what really happened, of course.

Well, after I'd been back home for a while but hadn't been to the church for a long time, I finally went, one Sunday. My marital status was not foremost in my mind, since, for the most part, the turmoil and drudgery of the divorce stuff was all behind me. I simply had decided to attend a service, that's all. And, it was the middle of summer.

Well, the organist (who has since passed away, as has her husband), who (I guess) was a bit nutty, started playing O Come All Ye Faithful -- a Christmas carol, and it seemed that she threw me a few more glaring glances than normal. After wondering for a few moments why she was playing a Christmas carol in July, and then realizing what one it was, I started to think it had something to do with me....the fact that I had been divorced!

I'll never know for sure, but...that's just an example of how strange some of those people can be! And that was just one of them.

I think she may have been afraid of losing her position as the piano/organ player, because she wasn't very good at it, made several mistakes. Well, if I'd had the chance to talk to her, I could have told her she had no reason to worry about me!

Off to the docks...heheh...where's the sailors... :D

Off to the docks...heheh...where's the sailors...  :D

Away on a going out of business sail? :unsure:

Here are a few verses for you from another shanty:

She was just a village maiden, with red and rosy cheeks.

... To me way, hey, hey, hi-yo.

She went to church and Sunday school, and sang those anthems sweet.

... There's fire down below!

The parson was a misery, so scraggy and so thin.

He said to us, "You shellbacks, if you lead a life of sin,

... There's fire down below!"

The parson had a daughter; she was sweet as sugar candy.

I said to her, "Us sailors would make lovers neat and handy."

She said to us, "You sailors is a bunch of bleedin' liars."

"And all of you is bound for hell, to feed the bleedin' fires."

Well, the fires down below, me boys, is very hot and jolly.

But the fires there ain't half so hot as my sweet clipper Polly!

Helen (picture my arms akimbo, foot tapping, head slightly lowered, with that "teacher look")

We gotta get you singing! I wish I could "tesser" you over here to my women's chorus- you'd be singing in no time! In harmony! :lol: (this is supposed to look like Helen singing happily)

Singing is good therapy, too. In some ways, (dare I whisper it here?) even better, in that the whole body is activated!

(running and ducking for cover) :rolleyes:

Singing is good therapy, too. In some ways, (dare I whisper it here?) even better, in that the whole body is activated!

(running and ducking for cover) :rolleyes:

Better than what? Why running for cover?

Were you suggesting that singing is better therapy than playing the concertina?

Well then, why not singing while playing concertina for accompaniment?

(As to people who use as little of their body as possible when they "sing", that's a separate issue, and one that I'm sure doesn't apply to any of us here. :D)

Well then, why not singing while playing concertina for accompaniment?

Personally, I have great difficulty singing and accompanying myself on the Anglo. I keep breathing in on the draw, thereby attempting to swallow my tongue and ending up in a spluttering heap! (not a pretty sight, I can tell you!)

Any tips anyone?

Personally, I have great difficulty singing and accompanying myself on the Anglo. I keep breathing in on the draw, thereby attempting to swallow my tongue and ending up in a spluttering heap!  (not a pretty sight, I can tell you!)

Any tips anyone?

Arrange your songs so that when you're singing you are only playing a single held note or chord, and do the fancy concertina stuff between verses, or verse and chorus (it works for me!) ;) .

As a first step towards unlinking your breathing with the bellows action, try singing a line then holding onto the last note whilst continuing the next line instrumentaly. Once you can do this it seems to help with the idea that you can do two things at once!

Robin Madge