Oscar Wood's Jig (C Row) In Alan Day's Tutorial

Dracor

Hello all!

I've started playing the concertina (20 button C/G) only weeks ago, and luckily I managed to find the fantastic tutorial by Alan Day.

In lesson 4 when he introduces Oscar Wood's Jig on the C row for the first time, I can't seem to figure out what the left hand is doing. I can play through the right hand pretty well now, but I'd like to try introducing the bass notes on the left hand. I think the [1] and [2] sections, (see attachment), have something to do with it but I'm not quite sure.

Does anyone know which buttons are being pressed on the left hand and/or which beats they are played on?

Thank you so much in advance!!

-Dakotah M

(Attached is the sheet music for Oscar Wood's Jig on the C row)

post-12737-0-10227700-1512171039_thumb.png

Only starting myself and I haven’t even been able to download the Alan Day tutorial. But the tune seems to be in C so all on the one row. Apparently any left hand will harmonise of a sort with the right hand both on the push and pull.

So get the right hand down and improvise the left by ear. Sure some one will give you a much better explanation tho. Good luck.

I will continue to try and find out how to do the download!

Hallo Dakota M

Thanks for your interest in the tutor.

The answer lies in the almost first lesson

Ignoring the first note which introduces the tune try initialy 1 & 3 (from the thumb)

Only on the push notes nothing on the pull.

Then try 1 & 345 or 1 & 5

This is to get your left hand working with your right.

The first lessons are important ,many get bored and try and advance to the tunes too early .I spent hours with just 1 & 3 so I could play it without even thinking about it. It is how I started learning the Anglo and full chords, or base runs came much later for me.

Good luck

Al

Alan,

Thanks so much for the reply! I agree that the basics are key, so I haven't moved onto the later lessons as I want to get this one down with both hands. After I wrap my brain around using both hands at once I'll be ready to advance.

Currently I can play the right hand though fully, and I can play both hands through until the last note of the 2nd line onward. There I seem to lose where the bass notes fall. Is it the same pattern in the second phrase of the music?

Also, what does "from the thumb" mean in this context?

Again, thank you very much for taking the time to respond.

Best wishes,

Dakotah

Only starting myself and I haven’t even been able to download the Alan Day tutorial. But the tune seems to be in C so all on the one row. Apparently any left hand will harmonise of a sort with the right hand both on the push and pull.

So get the right hand down and improvise the left by ear. Sure some one will give you a much better explanation tho. Good luck.

I will continue to try and find out how to do the download!

I had trouble finding it originally too, but I still have the .ZIP file that I could re-upload somewhere for you if you like.

In fact, I'll do that now, this is the Alan Day Concertina Tutorial for C/G Anglo Concertinas: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jjz2ff9vtba2hv6/AABfJoegmgHn7Ukqz13nW6Wha?dl=0

Let me know if you can't download it Crafty and we'll email you it or something. Hope this helps!

EDIT: FYI, the PDF is what contains the sheet music. I ended up tabbing it out for ease of reading.

Edited by Dracor

• 9 months later...