English Concertina Lessons

Mike W

Just a note to let you know that I have been teaching English Concertina at Music Under the Southern Cross for the last 6 years. It is a live-in School lasting 6 days starting on Sunday evening and going to Friday lunch time. This year we had 7 English concertina students and I was assisted for two days by Sarah Wade. For those interested in attending please go to www.celt.com.au and follow the link to the School. The School has classes in English Concertina, Harp, Scottish Fiddle, Irish Fiddle, Canadian Fiddle, Uilleann Pipes, Mandolin, Guitar, Tin Whistle and Traditional Singing. The classes are not for beginners. Students need to be able to play a jig or reel at dance speed as a minimum - except for the singers.

The School offers intensive tuition with Australia's top players/teachers. It is held in Australia's summer which is also the Northern Hemisphere's winter - hint, hint.

Concertina students are invited to join the closed facebook group Music Under the Southern Cross Concertinas. This binds students together and helps with the planning of my classes. I try and get students to learn a couple of tunes before the School so we can concentrate on ornamentation, variations, rhythm and fluency. Each year a tune is taught by ear but music is also provided after the hard work has been done.

The School also offers slow jams, a variety of sessions and electives on topics like dance and rhythm and has a large lake and pool.

Music Under the Southern Cross is Australia's premier school for teaching traditional music.

The School in 2015 will run into the nearby Newstead Folk Festival where many tutors and students will be performing. The School will have it's own concert. Everyone is encouraged to attend so that all can continue playing their new tunes and enjoying the friendships developed.

For more information go to the website or email me at music@celt.com.au .

post-4040-0-63684200-1391946610_thumb.jpg