Whitby Folk Week 2006

Will anyone be going to Whitby Folk Week this year? It runs from Saturday the 19th of August to Friday the 25th. I've not seen a programme yet but they should be out soon and if there are any concertina related events I'll post them here :D

Will anyone be going to Whitby Folk Week this year? It runs from Saturday the 19th of August to Friday the 25th. I've not seen a programme yet but they should be out soon and if there are any concertina related events I'll post them here :D

I have been the last two years (and for about a decade in the 80s) but not going this year. There will almost certainly be an Anglo Concertina Workshop by John Kirkpatrick and an English one by Alistair Anderson. I would imagine that Mr D Elliot of this forum will also run a maintenance workshop. There are also some good "led sessions" hosted by various performers. It is a fantastic week and I am sad not to be able to go this year :(

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ann,

Whilst searching the festival list, I found this link:

http://www.folkwhitby.co.uk/

Concertina artists are nearly into double figures (I make it 9, and there might be some that I don't recognise from the guest list).

Regards,

Peter.

:D Thanks for the link , the guest list certainly looks impressive. I see the festival's still run by M Storey, he's obviously not managed to flog it to the highest bidder yet. It will be interesting to see what the venues are this year, last year he'd got one listed and the owners only found out that events were due to take place on their premises when they saw a programme! Apparently he'd popped in earlier in the year to see what room there was but never got back to the owners to confirm anything, hence the shock when they found their name in print.

It's a shame that The Plough still can't have live music, it was so easy to met people there, just sit in the yard and eventualy anyone and everyone would stroll past :D

I see the festival's still run by M Storey

Hi Ann,

He's having a good innings, as he was Director when I went for a few days, back in 1988.

For anyone who's not been before, Whitby is a great place, but not exactly flat! Carrying a couple of instruments for a few days certainly gets you fit. For session players, my impression was of a higher standard of musicianship than at Sidmouth (may have changed over the years).

I must pop back one year. I dropped in for a few hours in 1995, when camping at Goathland (great place) for a few days. An interesting cycle ride; hilly going, hillier coming back!

Regards,

Peter.

I see the festival's still run by M Storey

Hi Ann,

He's having a good innings, as he was Director when I went for a few days, back in 1988.

For anyone who's not been before, Whitby is a great place, but not exactly flat! Carrying a couple of instruments for a few days certainly gets you fit. For session players, my impression was of a higher standard of musicianship than at Sidmouth (may have changed over the years).

I must pop back one year. I dropped in for a few hours in 1995, when camping at Goathland (great place) for a few days. An interesting cycle ride; hilly going, hillier coming back!

Regards,

Peter.

Malcolm has been saying "this will be my last year of organising" for a long time, although he did seem more definite this time!

PeterT there are some fantastic roads around there but they can be busy (now a days). I cycled the coast road from Scarborough to Whitby about 20 years ago which was like being on a rollercoaster with my legs providing the only motive force up the hills! My cycling hero was Malcolm Elliot (from Sheffield) but he did not have length of career (or leg!) that Sean Yates had/s.

PeterT there are some fantastic roads around there but they can be busy (now a days). I cycled the coast road from Scarborough to Whitby about 20 years ago which was like being on a rollercoaster with my legs providing the only motive force up the hills! My cycling hero was Malcolm Elliot (from Sheffield) but he did not have length of career (or leg!) that Sean Yates had/s.

Hi Peter,

I can well imagine. Goathland is an ideal location; I thought about going as far as Scarborough, but that's as far as it got. I reasoned that I'd get there ok, but take forever getting back! I'm really not an endurance rider. I've not been up there since Easter 1998, when I spent a week dodging snow showers, and watching filming of "Heartbeat", which I only found out about on a previous visit to Goathland (when I took the first photos of Lisa Carthy, in kit, playing for the Plough Stots - but that's another story).

I'd heard of Malcolm Elliot, but I did not start racing until 1996. As a result, I've only raced against young Sean (5 years younger than me) since he retired from pro. racing. Yes, he still has long legs! I remember that I first raced against him in 1999; he was 1 minute behind me on the start sheet, and it took him just over 2.5 miles to catch me (and I was having a good ride!).

Regards,

Peter.

• 3 weeks later...

:D I've splashed out on a programme and there are a fair few concertina related items, I'll list them as they appear in the programme (apologies in advance for any I miss ) I'll put the cost in pounds of each event in brackets. (These are just the highlights, I'd be typing until August to get everything in :D )

Saturday 19th Aug

Music concert in the Rifle Club, 2.30pm - 5pm John Kirkpatrick is amongst those appearing ( £ 7 )

Music session, Fishermens Rowing Club, 5pm -7pm Alistair Anderson ( donations encouraged, no set cost )

Family Club, Rifle Club 6.30pm - 9pm Tim Laycock is one of the artists listed ( £ 5 )

Concert, Resolution Hotel, 7.30pm - 11.30pm Dave Townsend is on the list of artists (£ 9 )

Concet, Rifle Club, 9.30pm - 12 midnight John Kirkpatrick on the artists list ( £ 8 )

Sunday 20th

St. Mary's Church 9.45am Church Service, Alistair Anderson and Dave Townsend are among those taking part, this is a religious service not a 'folk do' as such so please respect this.

Anglo Concertina, Yacht Club, 10am - 11.20am Andy Casserley workshop for beginners ( £ 5 )

The English Tradition, Rifle Club, 1pm - 3pm Alistair Anderson on the guest list ( £ 7 )

Concert, Metropole Hotel, 3pm - 5pm Tim Laycock is one of the artists ( £ 8 )

Acoustic Concert, Whitby Football Club, 7pm - 11pm guests include John Kirkpatrick ( £ 6 )

Concert, Rugby Club, 7.30pm - 11.30pm Iris Bishop is among the artists ( £ 8 )

Monday 21st

Concertina Care and Troubleshooting, Rifle Club, 11.30am - 12.50pm Dave Elliott ( £ 5 )

Ceildah, Metropole Hotel, 7.30pm - 11pm, Iris Bishop is one of the artists ( £ 9 )

Concert, Football Club, 7.30pm - 11pm, Alistair Anderson is one of the artists ( £ 6 )

Stories in words,song and music, Yacht Club, 8pm - 11pm, John Jirkpatrick is on the list ( £ 7 )

Tuesday 22nd

Song accompanment on English Concertina, Yacht Club, 10am - 11.20am, Dave Townsend ( £ 5 )

Northumbrian Ceildah, song and music, Metropole Hotel, 7.30pm - 10.30pm Alistair Anderson is one of the artists ( £ 8 )

One in, one, one out, Yacht Club, 8pm - 10.30pm TimLaycock and others ( £ 7 )

Concert, Rifle Club, 9.30pm - 12 Dave Townsend is on the list ( £ 8 )

Wednesday 23rd

Anglo Concertina, Yacht Club, 10am - 11.20am, Andy Casserley workshop for beginners ( £ 5 )

One at a time please, Yacht Club, 1.15pm - 2.45pm, John Kirkpatrick and others ( £ 6 )

Music session,Fishermens Rowing Club, 5pm - 7pm, John Kirkpatrick ( donations requested, no set fee )

Thursday 24th

Song Accompanment on English Concertina, Endeavour Pub, 10am - 11.20am Steve Turner ( £ 5 )

Tunes of Scan Tester, Yacht Club, 10am - 11.20am. Will Duke ( £ 5 )

Concert, Rifle Club, 3pm - 5pm with John Kirkpatrick and others ( £ 7 )

Friday 25th

The Works of Henry Lawson, Consevative Club, 10am - 11.20am Iris Bishop & MartynWyndham Read (£5)

The heritage of the Lakeland Fiddlers, Consevative Club bar, 10am - 11.20am Dave Townsend ( £ 5 )

Concertina Repair Workshop, Rifle Club, 11.30am - 12.50pm, Dave Elliott ( £ 5 )

The Dorset Sailor, Royal Hotel, 1.15pm - 3.30pm, Tim Laycocks' one man play ( £ 7 )

All Butoned Up, Metropole Hotel, 5.30pm - 7pm, Alistair Anderson, Andy Casserley and others ( £ 8 )

practically very evening concert on the Friday has a concertina player in there somewhere. If you're coming it's worth buying a programme as there's so much to do and see, there'a a beginners Ceildah band workshop with Alistair Anderson that runs though the week as well as a Village band workshop run by Dave Townsend. Oh for a tardis and deep pockets to get to everything I'd like to :D

Cheers Ann

:D It will be interesting to see what the venues are this year, last year he'd got one listed and the owners only found out that events were due to take place on their premises when they saw a programme!

And for this year :D one of the early morning venues is no longer under the management of the people he lists as being the landlords and while the present landlady, who has had the tennancy for just over a year and was 'in post' last folk week, was aware of an early morning event she was did not know that it ran past her opening time and on each morning from Sunday through to the Friday.......... It should be interesting as the usual clientel are hard swearing trawlermen.

Looking forward to seeing any concertina players who can get to the festival

Cheers