Shoulder harness

Pete Dunk

I just wanted to thank Tallship for posting the harness idea on Cnet, I didn't know these harnesses existed. You've made my hours spent playing a large duet standing up much more comfortable!

Thanks again,

Joy

You're very welcome I'm sure! What did you use to go around the ends of the concertina to attach the harness to? Pictures would be good, perhaps we can come up with the perfect design by committee!

Pete :)

You're very welcome I'm sure! What did you use to go around the ends of the concertina to attach the harness to? Pictures would be good, perhaps we can come up with the perfect design by committee!

Pete :)

A bit Heath Robinson ish - a couple of those wire circles that are used for keyrings, attached to one side to neck strap attachments on the concertina, the other side attached to the harness. I've also added bits from the harness to the hand strap to turn the 'tina round a bit so the angle of the buttons is in line with my fingers when my hands / arms are straight. Not perfect but an awful lot better than a neck strap alone, or a single diagonal across the back strap. It means that I can practise while I'm 'running' on my cross trainer and convince myself that I'm getting my daily 30 minutes' exercise to give me a longer life to learn more tunes....

Joy

Edited by Spectacled Warbler

• 3 weeks later...

attached to one side to neck strap attachments on the concertina, the other side attached to the harness.

I call the wire circles 'split rings' or 'keyrings'. My concertina doesn't have the 'neck strap attachments' that many Salvation Army instruments had, so built in strap connections weren't there. Heath Robinson-ish is a great description, he was a master at cobbling together things that actually worked, often far better than the disparaging eponymous credit allows!

• 10 years later...

I am in the process of making one of these.  So excited.

Curious if anyone else who has done this has any thoughts about friction of the bellows and the front of your body?

are you holding it out from your body or do you stabilize it on your body?

THIS WORKS LIKE A DREAM!!!!

Actually this will be a game change for me and playing the concertina.  

When I’m not traveling, I like to take a couple walks a day and now I can take my concertina with me and work on songs or parts of songs (memorizing, or even listening to loops on the Anytunes App) and get exercise, too.  

It’s very comfortable to play with this harness. Sturdy and no drilling.

I added a little extra bit where I put a this strip of neoprene rubber under the Velcro to help with grip, just in case. I  haven’t had any slippage, but I guess one could also put a thin pice of strong string that attached to the hand strap to the harness, just in case. 

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR SHARING THIS>