Random Notes

cboody

While we're sniping about versions

:o We don't snipe on concertina.net! We may enquire robustly from time to time though. :unsure:

where did these chords come from?

I wondered that, I've not seen chords for this tune before. Of course some bits of ABC software will generate chords for the current tune at the push of a button but they aren't usually that great in my opinion.

I hadn't looked at the abc in the first post but it is indeed quite a long way from the version on the youtube video. I don't want to put anyone's nose out of joint but I think you will find this much closer to the tune as played:

X:1

T:Random

M:6/8

L:1/8

Z:Peter Dunk, September 2008

Q:3/8=120

K:D

A | d2 d f(ed) | cea ecA | B2 B d(fg) | Bed cBA | d2 d f(ed) cea ecA |

B2 B d(fg) | B(ec) d2 :: D | DFA FAd | Adf dfa | aga geg fdf ecA |

DFA FAd | Adf dfa | dcd fed c(dB) A2 :: B | Aaa Bbb | Ggg Aaa |

Ddd efg | Bed cBA | Aaa Bbb | Ggg Aaa | Ddd efg | B(ec) d2 :|

I first fell in love with this from the version played by Sarah Graves on her CD "Black Boxes" - she's an EC player. and calls it Random Notes.

This is closer to the version she plays - with the "challenging" C part (at least that's the bit where I always come unstuck - maybe I should try the alternative!)

Chris

ps an excellent CD if you can still get hold of it.

And if you listen to the Sarah Graves version, you will hear an additional intro and outtro, added to the tune, which I think Sarah must have composed herself. I rather like it and include it in the version I play.

Chris

While we're sniping about versions

:o We don't snipe on concertina.net! We may enquire robustly from time to time though. :unsure:

where did these chords come from?

I wondered that, I've not seen chords for this tune before. Of course some bits of ABC software will generate chords for the current tune at the push of a button but they aren't usually that great in my opinion.

They are not my chords, but were included with the tune in a couple of abc sources. I don't like them much here and there. In the more recently posted pdf I certainly don't like the Em E7 A7 business. Much to jarring for my ears.

But, chords are chords. I did a book of tunes for a celtic group (whatever that is) a while back (a group with far too many guitar players ;) ), and the one thing I said I would not do is figure out chords. I put in whatever was there or made only the least effort to get right chords. Sure enough a couple of the guitar players were really upset. We redid things with their chords (some of which made no sense at all to my ears) and everyone was happy...including me since I don't play with the group with any regularity :lol:

Edited by cboody

I first fell in love with this from the version played by Sarah Graves on her CD "Black Boxes" - she's an EC player. and calls it Random Notes.

This is closer to the version she plays - with the "challenging" C part (at least that's the bit where I always come unstuck - maybe I should try the alternative!)

Chris

And if you listen to the Sarah Graves version, you will hear an additional intro and outtro, added to the tune, which I think Sarah must have composed herself. I rather like it and include it in the version I play.

Chris

I agree, The intro and outro are excellent and for a while I thought they were actually part of the official tune.

I never knew where it came from.

ChrisJ

I wonder if it is in "The Lads Like Beer," which is the other collection mentioned (and apparently POP)

I looked up my copy, and found the tune there under the name Random, and with this comment.

This tune is attributed to Hill in the Northumbrian Pipers' Tune Book.

However, an identical tune in the Collingwood manuscript is entitled Rondeau.

One title is obviously a corruption of the other and it has been suggested that the tune is in fact a French three-part cotillion, a popular dance at the time.

The Collingwood manuscript is held at Beamish Museum.

I wonder if it is in "The Lads Like Beer," which is the other collection mentioned (and apparently POP)

I looked up my copy, and found the tune there under the name Random, and with this comment.

This tune is attributed to Hill in the Northumbrian Pipers' Tune Book.

However, an identical tune in the Collingwood manuscript is entitled Rondeau.

One title is obviously a corruption of the other and it has been suggested that the tune is in fact a French three-part cotillion, a popular dance at the time.

The Collingwood manuscript is held at Beamish Museum.

Interesting. Thanks for the info.

Chris

I've exchanged a number of emails with Sarah Graves over the last couple of weeks and a copy of Black Boxes arrived today (along with two Metric Foot Band Cds). I'm awestruck. I don't really care about the correct naming of the tune any more. The intro and outro to the tune really make it into an exceptional version. Sarah's husband Mike is a great musician too which makes the whole CD a hoot, highly recommended!

Black Boxes is 'out of print' as it were but Sarah is happy to sell CDR copies for next to nothing! Go there, buy it now, and if you get half a chance get along to a gig soon!