Help A Newby

Not too far from Wigan, the Chorley Folk Club holds a "Slow and Steady" session on the first Saturday of each month, from 2:00 - 5:00 pm with the aim of helping people learn to play.

These are held at the Eaves Green Community Centre which is wheelchair accessible, (I've seen other people attend in wheelchairs, not just guessing) so if you can get there you can get in. When we lived over in England a few years ago we often attended, and I can attest these are good friendly people, genuinely interested in helping beginners learn to play traditional English tunes. the English Concertina is represented at both the leader and beginner level. (as well as Melodeon, Anglo, Whistle, and various string instruments.)

They do provide sheet music, (which you can print out on line beforehand too if you wish) which is helpful if you read notation, but a number of the regular people learn by ear instead. Reading music is not required.

Even if you don't feel you are far enough along to join in very much just yet, I suggest it would be worth a visit to meet people in the area who play. But do bring your instrument! Sometimes one of the regulars will offer more individual attention to a beginner in a separate room, upon request.

http://chorleytradmusicsessions.org.uk/wp/slow-and-steady/

Edited by Tradewinds Ted

• 2 weeks later...