Love Will Tear Us Apart

Some ten years ago (I think) I recorded a version of this, multitracked, with guitars and bass, with the concertina part simply playing Peter Hook's amazing bass melody.

This time I thought it would be nice to do an arrangement that I could play live if I wished, and this is the result. It loses some muscle in the process and becomes even darker than it was to start with... I know how special this song is to many (including myself) and am aware that this might be every bit as divisive as the cover of "Hurt" ;)

https://soundcloud.com/lachenaliamusic/love-will-tear-us-apart

I still find it astonishing that Ian Curtis was only 23 when he was writing lyrics like these. Such a sad loss.

Wow, great track!

I'm a big fan of (certain) modern pop tunes on concertina, which honestly is pretty in-keeping with the tradition. Wasn't a lot of what people would've played, at least on English and Maccann, the "Top 40" of its day?

I'm a big fan of the song "Her Bright Smile Haunts Me Still". As much as a parallel can be drawn, in 1864 it was as much a "pop hit" as anything on the radio today. Here's a great cover on concertina by Jeff Warner:

Thanks for sharing, Stu! I imagine there are quite a body of post-punk/new-wave/darkwave tunes really suited to concertina. I've been doing "Mad World" by Tears for Fears and find it suits the instrument well.

Thanks, Matthew, I'm glad you enjoyed it. I don't see the link to the Jeff Warner track here, though.

Tears for Fears: yes. I can imagine Everybody Wants to Rule The World and Sowing the Seeds of Love might work well too. Will we get to hear your version of Mad World?

I've also been trying out some songs by The Cure. Just Like Heaven and Inbetween Days are obvious candidates, but I think Boys Don't Cry could work too. Friday I'm In Love might be a bit _too_ obvious a choice! One good thing about Robert Smith's writing is that there are almost always strong countermelodies to the vocal line.

One day I'll find a way of doing "I Believe in You" by Talk Talk convincingly...

brilliant - brilliant - big thanks for sharing. Even my wife is singing along - true. - this is rare :-)

There was a fascinating docu on BBC4 just recently on Joy Division, I was very moved by it and recommend it to anyone interested in serious music. Though I have always had a copy of Closer, I had not truly grasped what a genius Ian Curtis was.

P.s. heard you on The Folk Show this week as well - well done again

Edited by derekc

Very nice, I did enjoy your accompaniment of this song Stuart although I don't know the song and wasn't that taken by it. But you're accompaniment is quite light compared to some of your other offerings and I found that pleasant to my ear. Also listened to Da Stockit Light, very nice, enjoyed.