Recorded Tune Link Page.

What format are they in? I just clicked on the "listen" link for "The Rat and the Rook" and my web browser showed me a page of gobbledy-gook text.

David

THese are WMA (Windows Media Audio) files. They work with the Windows Media Player.

This link might be helpful to find a conversion program.

Henk

Edited by Henk van Aalten

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Folks, for anyone who's interested, I've been giving my website a lick of paint today (well, a complete overhaul really :D )

I've added - slightly belatedly - some Christmas stuff my band recorded last year (including our rather Mike Oldfield-y take on Silent Night) and a few extra bits and bobs I recorded yesterday. They're here

Henk, I'm afraid I've completely restructured the site, so the links on your tunes page will now be dead - sorry!

Today I made a major update of the Recorded Tunes Link Page. Links were checked and new entries were added:

• From Howard Mitchell I added one tune (I saw two tunes some time ago, but miss a nice slow air now).
  • Recently Tom Lawrence was very productive, so I have added 12 tunes (4 played on his Concer-Tiny and 8 on his new Edgley G/C).
  • Stuart Estell created a new web site with 5 new tunes and 6 "oldies" that had to be relinked
  • Wendy Stanford published 3 new tunes/songs
  • "Sport", played by Michael Eskin seems to have vanished. The entry is still on the links page, because I hope it returns (was one of my favorites!)

The collection now contains 150 tunes. I hope that 2005 will be as fruitful as this year has been!!

Edited by Henk van Aalten

The collection now contains 150 tunes. I hope that 2005 will be as fruitful as this year has been!!

:) Yes! Thanks...I hope so, too!

I really enjoyed the new additions, though I'll have to come back to hear all of them.

Just a note, re the one of mine, 'It Came Upon A Midnight Clear' -- for genre/comp, you list it as WS. It IS my arrangement, but I of course didn't write that one.

It's a traditional Christmas carol...um, the info is here: http://www.cco.caltech.edu/~ccf/chords/chordc015.shtml

(That's not my site, just one I happened to find! I do it in a different key, though -- Bb, not G.)

I don't recall if I gave all the info at my own website -- since the song is 'Public Domain,' I didn't give much thought to the original authors.

Hmm, Henk, I guess it's not a universal Christmas carol! I forget that. (I shall write 50 times: 'There is life outside of my home town....There is life outside...' etc.!) :D

The Edmund Sears fellow who wrote that song's lyric was local to my geographical area, I think. I'm thinking that he must be related to Clara Endicott Sears, who started the Fruitlands Museum in a nearby town...also, a favorite place to go, for years, was Searstown -- the local shopping mall (the name of which was recently changed to Whitney Field).

Anyway....whatever. It IS 'PD,' public domain, and it is my own arrangement, but other than that, it's a Trad, I guess.

Edit was added to correct 'Sarah' to 'Clara.'

Edited by bellowbelle

Today I made a major update of the Recorded Tunes Link Page. Links were checked and new entries were added:

:unsure: Hmm...

So far, these links work, from your site. But, I'd been under the impression that my webhost for my sound files, Yahoo! Geocities, won't allow any linking (since I only have a freebie site, now) from outside sites.

I guess, leave them as they are, since they work....but, if they 'disconnect,' I'll check again on what the current rules are at Yahoo!. (Usually, if they don't allow something, it's not even possible to do it, so....I'm confused.)

I get a little worn out running through the maze of web hosting packages here and there! I just set up my freebie pages for bellowbelle.com (though, I pay for the domain registration) -- the freebie version is quite limited, but, I can at least link to my photo site and so on.

Sharing sound files, without paying about at least $5. to $16. per month, is just about impossible. At this point, that seems ridiculous, to me. Seems to me that someone could just call me up and I'll sing to them over the phone, hehehe, if they really want to hear me! :D (The internet starts seeming kinda backwards...)

Anyway, over the next few days, after New Year's, I may decide that it's worth it to pay more and get more. I have to take stock of what costs I've already got in progress. So...if I upgrade, then, of course, there will surely be no problem with any links.

EDIT ADDED TO INCLUDE MORE INFO:

Okay....here's the page with the 'skinny' on Geocities:

http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/learn2/CompChart.html

There's a comparision of their 3 main plans. I use the basic, free one (though I used to use the Pro one). Under 'Web Site Management,' the indication for Remote Loading is that....I'm not supposed to. :angry: :( Drats.

I just don't understand why they don't have the option blocked, then. (??)

It's not that I wouldn't pay for webhosting in order to support my audio files. It's just that I'm not really happy with the options I find so far online, for that, for one reason or another.

Henk, maybe you can charge a reasonable fee for concertina players (like me) that can make sound files and can send them but just don't have them web-hosted somewhere, in order to store them at your own site (like you kindly did for the first few of mine). Like -- a membership fee or something.

Anyway...whatever. If you want to go ahead and remove the latest files, because of Geocities, then, so be it. If they aren't supposed to be linked to, then, they may end up just getting disconnected.

ANOTHER EDIT ADDED NEXT DAY:

I am thinking over the possibility of buying more webhosting from the site where I have my 'free' site now, so then, anything could be linked to from there. If I do so, I'll probably do so within the week.

Edited by bellowbelle

Me here again.

ANOTHER EDIT ADDED NEXT DAY:

I am thinking over the possibility of buying more webhosting from the site where I have my 'free' site now, so then, anything could be linked to from there. If I do so, I'll probably do so within the week.

So, I did just today 'legalize' (upgrade) my Yahoo! Geocities pages (though, not the other free site, so far, like I'd thought I would).

So, now there's no violation going on, re linking to my sound files at any other site.

I did notice that, for some reason, my MP3s get 'holes' in them after I've uploaded them, though they are fine as they are on my own computer before uploading. I don't have any idea why this happens. I tried to replace the old files but they still get 'erased' spots in them.

So....if I can work that one out, I shall! :)

I did notice that, for some reason, my MP3s get 'holes' in them after I've uploaded them, though they are fine as they are on my own computer before uploading.

Do you use an ftp program to upload? If so, check you are uploading in "binary". (Though if this is set wrong, you usually lose a random amount at the end of a file rather than holes in the middle.)

Can you check the file sizes and compare with originals?

I did notice that, for some reason, my MP3s get 'holes' in them after I've uploaded them, though they are fine as they are on my own computer before uploading.

Are you sure the files have missing spots?

Are you downloading them back to your own machine, then playing the downloaded copies, or are you playing them from the web site? If you're playing them directly from the web site, it could be that the "holes" are due to transmission delays, where the player reaches a spot in the music before that part of the file has reached your machine. (I think this could depend on the combination of your player software, your browser software, the server's software, and the type of connection you have.) I don't normally have that with MP3's, but I have experienced it with video files, where the equivalent of silence is a temporary freeze of the image.

Are the "holes" always in the same place when you play them back? If the "holes" aren't always in the same place, that would be a pretty good indication of a timing/transmission problem.

Are the holes the size of the holes in 45s, LPs, or CDs?

Ha! That could be it, Dave -- they're RETRO MP3s!!! :D The latest rage, maybe.

Are you sure the files have missing spots?

Are you downloading them back to your own machine, then playing the downloaded copies,

THanks for the suggestion, Jim, I tried that, and apparently the files don't actually have erasures or whatever -- the problem is in the transmission.

Do you use an ftp program to upload? If so, check you are uploading in "binary". (Though if this is set wrong, you usually lose a random amount at the end of a file rather than holes in the middle.)

Can you check the file sizes and compare with originals?

spindizzy, I just use the 'Easy Upload' that is provided by Geocities, and I've always been a bit confused about FTP...it seems that it must only be valuable if you can't be at your own home computer(?). And yes...I can check the file sizes, and it seems that sometimes they change from what I upload.

I'm still learning about making sound files -- I recently got 'Cybercorder' and also a Converter for WAV/MP3s/other files. I thought I'd chosen the best settings on Cybercorder, but maybe I didn't -- I'll have to do some experiments and upload and see how things sound.

Anyway -- maybe in the future I'll decide to download an FTP program, if that looks like a good idea. :)

NEW FORUM, huh? Nice!!! :rolleyes:

[*]From Howard Mitchell I added one tune (I saw two tunes some time ago, but miss a nice slow air now)...

Henk,

the tune you've included from me is played on a Wheatstone C/G anglo.

The tune you're missing is Quendale Bay played on a Crabb C/G anglo. It's on

http://www.hgmitchell.plus.com/strad/Sounds_files/track3.mp3

Regards

Howard Mitchell

Have just discovered this C.net recorded tune link. All I can say is that I am very moved by everyones performances. Thank you all. To share your music (most hidden and precious of our aspirations) with your thoughts here on C.Net...I'm blown away. I'm grateful...Bravi a tutti!

the tune you've included from me is played on a Wheatstone C/G anglo.

The tune you're missing is Quendale Bay played on a Crabb C/G anglo.  It's on 

http://www.hgmitchell.plus.com/strad/Sounds_files/track3.mp3

Thanks very much for your message Howard. I am glad that Quendale Bay is on the list. I like the tune and I think it is very well played.

Have just discovered this C.net recorded tune link.  All I can say is that I am very moved by everyones performances.  Thank you all.  To share your music (most hidden and precious of our aspirations) with your thoughts here on C.Net...I'm blown away.  I'm grateful...Bravi a tutti!

Mark,

Thanks for your nice reaction. It is very encouraging and gives extra motivation!

Finally, I would like you all to know that The Recorded Tunes Link Page is again updated:

- The Howard Mitchell entries are updated

- I entered 7 recordings of Lisa Shields (is she a C.Net member?). She plays a more than 100 years old Lachenal Anglo.