Advice For A Newbie On A Budget

LDT

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks like when somebody says "Hero accordions are bad", it's unacceptable on a premice, that somebody may have them as "their" instrument.

I often play one...great fun! :D

Your petulance is exceeded only by your hedonsim. ;)

I, myself, am such an example: I purchase said "lesser instrument" (Hohner D40) on a whim from a pawnshop for $100--the only one in town, that I'm aware of.

How many times it should be mentioned, that my point is having two instruments side by side: a lesser and a better one. Not one pawn shop in town.

Now all who learned on cheapies may re-consider their experience and stop suggesting them.

We do have a good instrument on display now, end of story. It pretty much outdates most of your rules and leaves one: get This One and start learning. No need to worry.

And yes, Hohner by some reason sounds well, it also is worthy to mention, that Hohners of yesteryear (like yours, perhaps) were made in West Germany.

I tried one Chinese last year: it held 10 minutes till pad fell off.

It looks like when somebody says "Hero accordions are bad", it's unacceptable on a premice, that somebody may have them as "their" instrument.

I often play one...great fun! :D

Your petulance is exceeded only by your hedonsim. ;)

Stephen, what are you replying to?

Are you saying they are good or that you simply play one?

I had 10 of those, and made one out of two, that was very... serviceable. Not sure I'd agree about "great fun", definitely those tiny Castagnaris are greater fun, but serviceable. After you tune them, fix leaks, replace pads and put stoppers under the buttons/levers. Have you tried one lately? The quality went way down, it's hard to find one barely in tune. How much fun is that?

Would you suggest one to a beginner? If a beginner bought one and asked how must he start learning to play "accordion", I know Catti will smile, say "welcome" and "go for it". I will say: "they are junk, toss that one out and buy such and such there and there".

What will you say?

Edited by m3838

I have two 20-b Hohners--one I am most certain is recent and MIC; the other is made in Italy.

I was only being fecitious about your petulance/hedonism ( ;) wink, wink..) It is a parody of m3838's authoritative thesis on what constitutes ... fun. :(

Edited by catty

Stephen, what are you replying to?

I sometimes wonder... :unsure:

Are you saying they are good or that you simply play one?

... Not sure I'd agree about "great fun", definitely those tiny Castagnaris are greater fun, but serviceable. ...

Would you suggest one to a beginner?

What will you say?

I'll say we see things very differently.

The Hero mini accordions are "cheep and cheerful", but they've a nice old-fashioned sound and it's amazing what can be got out of one, and they're probably no worse than many's the old melodeon or concertina that was played here long ago - see the clip I posted! I like them a lot.

On the other hand, I don't personally like Castagnaris, though I did have one of their 4-stop melodeons for a while - but then I got a Cajun accordion instead, which I much prefer. And for me the mini Castagnaris are useless because I'd need at least one more button on the outside row of them (which the Hero has!), but I don't like the sound of them anyway. Indeed, a very highly respected tuner, one of very few with factory training, dismissed them to me, many years ago, as "cabinet makers" and reckoned that their instruments only worked because they used such good quality reeds - but he is prone to a little exageration... :rolleyes:

So you might have guessed by now that I'd rather play the Hero!

However, mini accordions are much harder to play than full-size ones, so I wouldn't recommend either model to learn on, though I would recommend the Hero to somebody who just wanted to try-out the accordion, play some simple tunes and be encouraged to go on to something better.

Catti will smile, say "welcome" and "go for it"

That's because I've been around music all of my life. And the more I'm around people, I'm finding the commonality of both. I used to be a putz/elitist, and over the years I learned that it was about music...and not so much about me, or the tools to make the music. Sure, the tool is important, but not nearly as much as the sprirt of music or the JOY of learning. I tolerate--and ENCOURAGE--incredibly primitive efforts at music-making these days, children and adults alike: I didn't necessarily choose this role, but found myself--as the provider of music--the facilitator to bring it to people, and eliciting from people, which is what so many want but lack the wherewithal to try. For so many, it's so tenuous and tentative an experience--what so many need is simple encouragement in any way, shape or form. This is what people lack--not access to tools, but the confidence to explore their relationship and potential with those tools. Most of what we consider basic for a decent instrument is way more than what most people need to express themselves in the elementary "folk" forms that are readily accessible to people, what 90% of people will attain as a level of musical proficiency, and what constitutes MUSIC.

This, in my experience, has been eminently more valubale than all the trifling I've spent over instruments; it has brought me so much more joy and satisfaction as I've honed my ability to share music with others rather than keep instruments as yet another barrier separating me from those who desire music but lack the skills of expression. And I've spent a lot of time trifling. The world needs not another putz, but someone who will generously tolerate the inexpert, dilettante efforts at music-making enough to encourage the next step.

Edited by catty

Seems to me that the real argument is about whether you should show courtesy & respect regardless of whether you personally agree with their choice.

Certainly! No disagreements here.

By some strange reason MY advice sparked some lively disagreement.

That's strange.

I don't think anybody has any great problem with your initial advice, just with how you have behaved since LDT bought her instrument. She has made her decision and I don't feel you have shown her any courtesy & respect regardless of whether you personally agree with her choice - quite the opposite in fact. Your hectoring tone seems from here to be verging on bullying.

This thread seems to have go way off topic. I suggest the admin/mods close/lock the topic o prevent a big argument errupting.

(This is more controversial than when I went on a Doctor Who forum and said I didn't like Rose as a companion. lol!)

This thread seems to have go way off topic. I suggest the admin/mods close/lock the topic o prevent a big argument errupting.

Experience suggests that the "debate" will just move onto another thread.

As you are a new member to this Forum, I'm sorry to see that one member, in particular, has chosen to make your topic into a battleground. This member has been cautioned in the past, about the style and content of postings.

Regards,

Peter.

(This is more controversial than when I went on a Doctor Who forum and said I didn't like Rose as a companion. lol!)

WHAT!!??!?!11!!?!eleventyone!!

Are you crazy? Were you dropped on your head as a baby? Or did you just happen to fall out of the stupid tree and manage to hit every branch on the way down?

Not like Rose? You... you... you... dalek-lover! :angry:

[/tongue-in-cheek]

Just in case you missed that forum since getting banned, I'm sure. ;)

WHAT!!??!?!11!!?!eleventyone!!

Are you crazy? Were you dropped on your head as a baby? Or did you just happen to fall out of the stupid tree and manage to hit every branch on the way down?

Not like Rose? You... you... you... dalek-lover! :angry:

[/tongue-in-cheek]

Just in case you missed that forum since getting banned, I'm sure. ;)

I Quite like Daleks ;) And I eventually became admin/mod of said group. So that just goes to proove..well I don't know what.....maybe that I'm more cunning than The Master on a good day ;)

Ignore people who set you schedules saying you should do this or that at a particular stage of learning & don't set yourself such schedules as you'll just turn a passion into a chore. Just find your own way, taking advice that makes sense to you and ignoring the rest, and have fun exploring the instrument in your own way.

Well I have a target song I'd like to learn to play. 'The Cheshire Waltz' and yes I have a wierd reason for why I'd like to learn it. Its the perfect speed for typing text to. (I find I type the speed of the music I listen to.)

Edited by LDT

Well! I really liked you until you dissed Rose :angry: ;)

Well I have a target song I'd like to learn to play. 'The Cheshire Waltz' and yes I have a weird reason for why I'd like to learn it....

The weird reasons are the best. That proves that you were born to play the Anglo :)

QUOTE (LDT @ Aug 26 2008, 03:57 AM) *

Well! I really liked you until you dissed Rose mad.gif wink.gif

that's why now I say I only like Rose when she's written well.....I don't mention I don't think she's been written well 90% of the time. lol!

The weird reasons are the best. That proves that you were born to play the Anglo smile.gif

I didn't know being a bit odd was a requirement? ;) lol!

I can touchtype.....does that help?

Edited by LDT