Concertina Building Video On Yt

The video of Anthony James at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4QHWas4G2Iis excellent, thanks, Marty.

'Beautiful work, beautiful natural materials, lovely appearance. And excellent video clarity & content.

I notice the holes aren't sleeved with that red woven felt. I don't blame him for a moment - I'd never bother myself, the benefit probably being little or nothing.

I wonder though whether a compromise might be possible by making a sandwich of wood, felt, wood.

The felt hole would be slightly smaller than the wood hole making the button ride smoothly and sound-deadened on the felt, clear of the wood.

I'm still smouldering with the desire to create an ergonomic sculpted keyboard concertina, possibly by 3D printing as much as possible, but the project is just a hope.

I contracted a local engineering co. for $400 to CAD & print the end pieces of my Stagi tenor, but their printer couldn't do an object that big (20cm corner to corner). By then though, I was pleased to cancel it in favour of thinking more before proceeding. 'Maybe buy a machine, learn how to do the CAD needed, collaborate with people already skilled in various ways, maybe combine forces.

I've found 3D printers, even those costing, say, $3,000, are still slow - e.g. a hair comb takes half an hour. A sandal four hours.

But the beauty is that if by trial-and-error a really excellent, better new design is achieved, cloning it could be simple and cheap for the whole world.

The draft requirements spec for the Concertina Nova is in Google Drive at... http://tinyurl.com/kueadb4

There's a Google Group dedicated exclusively to it at https://plus.google....908489357489215

Anyway, cheers, and thanks again for posting.

Bruce Thomson in New Zealand.

The video of Anthony James at

is excellent, thanks, Marty.

'Beautiful work, beautiful natural materials, lovely appearance. And excellent video clarity & content.

I notice the holes aren't sleeved with that red woven felt. I don't blame him for a moment - I'd never bother myself, the benefit probably being little or nothing.

I wonder though whether a compromise might be possible by making a sandwich of wood, felt, wood.

The felt hole would be slightly smaller than the wood hole making the button ride smoothly and sound-deadened on the felt, clear of the wood.

Bruce Thomson in New Zealand.

There is a good reason for the felt. When the buttons touch the side of the hole during play, they click as any player of most Lachenal low and mid grade instruments will tell you. Another Hybrid maker, not sure which, might have been the late and missed Harold Herrington, used your compromise more or less, but I felt it's long term durability was not so good as the more standard version. I did notice this person's button guide plates were fairly thick. Some people have opted for very small clearance to stop the clicking. For a mostly plywood instrument that moves very little, that may work well, but for instruments that don't use plywood action pans, button position changes with the seasons and remain truly vertical only at the humidity the instrument was manufactured at. Long tight holes can bind on the buttons. Felt and more clearance is a bit more forgiving.

Dana

My concertina was actually made by this guy. About a year after making I asked to visit his workshop to which he agreed. He was very nice about it and showed me what he did and how he did it. I was pretty amazed at the fact that most of the tools were pretty basic, small circular saw, treadle fret saw, though he used them cleverly with some nice jigs. As shown in the video he has that classic internal shape bellows jig.