Something For The Weekend?

Pete Dunk

I just have to post this one, it's a cracking little jig plumbed from the depths of an ancient manuscript and destined to take the session scene by storm once a few players pick it up. Remember where you saw it first!

biggrin.gif nice one, it's been added to the 'to learn after Christmas' pile 16.gif

Rather early for the weekend but it's Wednesday evening after all so we're more than halfway through the week. Courtesy of Jon from the UK Folk Music Forum here's a grand hornpipe that I've not seen before. It will be a favourite of mine for some time to come!

X:1

T: Tailor's Twist, The

M: 4/4

L: 1/8

Q:1/4=140

R: hornpipe

K:Dmaj

|:FE|DA, FD AF dA|Bg ed cb ag|fe dc Bg ed|(3cdc (3BcB (3ABA (3GFE|

DA, FD AF dA|Bg ed cb ag|fe dc Bg ec|d/c/d dc d2:|

|:fg|a3f df af|ba gf eA ce|g3e cd ef|(3gag (3fgf eg fe|

df ec dD FA|B/A/B ed cb ag|fe dc Bg ec|d/c/d dc d2:|

Rather early for the weekend but it's Wednesday evening after all so we're more than halfway through the week. Courtesy of Jon from the UK Folk Music Forum here's a grand hornpipe that I've not seen before. It will be a favourite of mine for some time to come!

T: Tailor's Twist, The

M: 4/4

L: 1/8

R: hornpipe

K:Dmaj

|:FE|DA, FD AF dA|Bg ed cb ag|fe dc Bg ed|(3cdc (3BcB (3ABA (3GFE|

DA, FD AF dA|Bg ed cb ag|fe dc Bg ec|d/c/d dc d2:|

|:fg|a3f df af|ba gf eA ce|g3e cd ef|(3gag (3fgf eg fe|

df ec dD FA|B/A/B ed cb ag|fe dc Bg ec|d/c/d dc d2:|

Great - nine seconds from here to ABC convertomatic to listening to the midi and simultaneously saving the dots!

Learning it may take a little longer

B)

• 2 weeks later...

The hornpipe obsession has started again then! Keeps tripping me up, this one.

T:Coquetdale Hornpipe, The

C:Tom Carruthers

M:4/4

L:1/8

Z:Peter Dunk 2011

R:hornpipe

Q:1/4=130

K:G

(3DEF |:G>FG>B d>gb>a | (3gag (f>e) d>BG>c | (3cde (3ABc F>AD>F | (3ABc (f>e) d>cE>F |!

G>FG>B d>gb>a | (3gag (f>e) d>BG>c | (3ABc (f>e) d>cB>A |1G2B2G2 (3DEF :|2G2B2G2 uB>c |!

|:D>Bd>g f>df>a | (3gab (d>g) B>dG>B | (3ABc F>A f>ed>^c | d>ec>d .B2 uB>c |!

d>Bd>g f>df>a | (3gab (d>g) B>dG>B | (3ABc (F>E) D>cB>A |1 B2G2B2 uB>c :|2 G2B2G4 |]

Edited by tallship

T:Cocquetdale Hornpipe, The

(3DEF |:G>FG>B d>gb>a | (3gag (f>e) d>BG>c | (3cde (3ABc F>AC>F | (3ABc (f>e) d>cE>F |!

G>FG>B d>gb>a | (3gag (f>e) d>BG>c | (3ABc (f>e) d>cB>A |1G2B2G2 (3DEF :|2G2B2G2 uB>c |!

d>Bd>g f>df>a | (3gab (d>g) B>dG>B | (3ABc (F>E) D>cB>A |1 B2G2B2 uB>c :|2 G2B2G4 |]

That looks worth a try -)

Quick query, the D at the beginning of the B part sounds odd , should it be "d" ?

ie |:D>Bd>g f>df>a | ---- > |:D>Bd>g f>df>a |

edited to try and stop the ABC turning into Smileys!

Edited by spindizzy

That looks worth a try -)

Quick query, the D at the beginning of the B part sounds odd , should it be "d" ?

ie |:D>Bd>g f>df>a | ---- > |:D>Bd>g f>df>a |

edited to try and stop the ABC turning into Smileys!

Thanks for spotting that Chris, I've now edited the source abc. I had trouble with the smiley thing too!

This is a rather strange tune but the C music is jolly.

X:19

T:Mountain Sprite Hornpipe or Sand Jig (Craig 19), The

M:C

B:Empire Violin Collection of Hornpipes circa 1910

H:Published by Thomas Craig

H:Music Publisher, &c.

H:George Street, Aberdeen, N.B.

Z:Peter Dunk December 2011

K:C

G, C2 E G4 | {d/}c>Bc>a g>ed>c | G, C2 E G4 | {c/}B>AB>e d>BA>G |!

G, C2 E G4 | G, C2 E G4 | {c/}B>AB>a (3gag (3fed |1 c2 {^f/}g2 {^f/}g2 {^f/}g2 :|2 c2e2c4 |!

|: (c'4b2) z2 | (F4 E2) z2 | (de/f/) e>d (cd/e/) d>c |1 (Bc/d/) c>B c>B A2 :|2 (Bc/d/) c>B A2 |!

|:G>F | E>Gc>e g3 E | F>Ac>f a3 A | B>db>a g>fA>B | d>ce>c G>AG>F |!

E>Gc>eg3 E | F>Ac>f a3 A | B>db>a g>fA>B |1 (3cge (3cGE C2 :|2 (3cge (3cGE C2 z|]

.....uhmmm, I cannot get to "tune-a-tron" to translate this last one. Did you stump the poor thing? It still comes up as ABCs in the dots translation--I've never seen that before?? ....tune-a-tron, ABCs or is it me doing something wrong again??

I am loving the last two posts : the Tailor's Twist more so, but the Cocquetdale Hornpipe is fun once you get the rhythm. Thanks again for expanding horizons! Michelle

.....uhmmm, I cannot get to "tune-a-tron" to translate this last one. Did you stump the poor thing? It still comes up as ABCs in the dots translation--I've never seen that before?? ....tune-a-tron, ABCs or is it me doing something wrong again??

Worked fine for me - do make sure that you're copying the entire tune including all the headers (e.g. from the starting 'X:19' to the final 'C2 z|]' ). Most successful attempts to bork the tune-a-tron are achieved through missing some of the headers out, as the underlying code relies on the X: field to detect the start of the tune.

If you have done all that, however, please ignore the previous paragraph ...

I've also dropped the tune (nice tune BTW!) into EasyABC, my current abc parsing software of choice, and it displays fine in that too.

I saw the same problem, but fixed it by deleting the leading space from every line but the first.

Leading space from every line? I just copied and pasted the file as is from my post into the Tune-O-Tron and it converted straight away <_<

@Steve Mansfield: I'm using Easy ABC too, great for some things, clunky for others. Explorer remains my weapon of choice but like the rest it has foibles!

O.K. I've just put this file through O'Regan's and it won't convert. Works with the Tune-O-Tron for dots but the midi doesn't play back the same as it does on my software. I can't add a midi file here so I'm on a mission to make it into an mp3!

Thanks again for expanding horizons! Michelle

You're welcome I'm sure but I have to admit to being a bit flummoxed by the questions thrown up by this latest tune. If this won't play back accurately how many other tunes that I've posted here sound very differently to the people reading this thread compared to what I hear?

No luck turning a midi file into an mp3 yet. Work in progress!

T:Coquetdale Hornpipe, The

(3DEF |:G>FG>B d>gb>a | (3gag (f>e) d>BG>c | (3cde (3ABc F>AC>F | (3ABc (f>e) d>cE>F |!

Err Pete,

is the C in the third complete measure perhaps a D?? (F>AD>F). Makes better sense to me.

Err Pete,

is the C in the third complete measure perhaps a D?? (F>AD>F). Makes better sense to me.

Well spotted that man! :D My original post has been edited to correct the error.

Hey! I'm not spotted, its just the lighting in here.... :P

Hey! I'm not spotted, its just the lighting in here.... :P

Arf, arf ;)

Right then, get your fingers around this one, I love the way it jumps from dotted to straight rhythm.

X:28

T:Washington Hornpipe (Craig 28)

M:C

B:Empire Violin Collection of Hornpipes circa 1910

H:Published by Thomas Craig

H:Music Publisher, &c.

H:George Street, Aberdeen, N.B.

Z:Peter Dunk December 2011

R:(hornpipe)

K:Bb

B>cd>e fBAB | g>Ba>B b>BA>B | G>BF>B E>BD>B |1G>ec>A B>AG>F :|2 G>ec>A B2 z2 |!

|: fBAB fBAB | g>fg>a b>ag>f | b>ag>f e>dc>B | c>ec>A B>AG>F |!

B>cd>e fBAB | gBaB bBAB | G>BF>B E>BD>B | GecA B2z2 :|