Before The Night Was Out

Alan Day

Here you go . . . (and the best of British luck with it mate!)

Walter Bulwer's Polka No. 5

For those wondering why it sounds quite odd, the A music has one sharp but is in the Lydian mode of C, the time signature is 2/2. The B music changes key to C major but the second bar is in 5/4 which along with the dotted quaves in the third bar tends to make it all quite lumpy.

If I were to play this I would probably be seasick! :blink: :wacko:

Edited to add info!

Edited by tallship

Hi Al

Please find attached what I think you are looking for

MP3 Walter Bulwers No5

PDF Easy Notes Walter Buwmers No 5

I convert a lot of stuff to easy notes because I my age I need all the help I can get.

If you want anything doing just email me the ABC version and I'll convert it for you.

Regards

Voyager

Walter Bulwer's Polka No.pdf

Walter Bulwer's Polka No. 5 - Copy.mp3

Hi Al

Please find attached what I think you are looking for

MP3 Walter Bulwers No5

PDF Easy Notes Walter Buwmers No 5

I convert a lot of stuff to easy notes because I my age I need all the help I can get.

If you want anything doing just email me the ABC version and I'll convert it for you.

Regards

Voyager

Triplets in the music and a lack of repeats? Sorry but that's just wrong even if the midi playback is half right but stops oddly!

My take says the "triplet rhythms" are indications of spots where the two notes are to be swung and the other eighth notes are to be played straight. Just a guess, but it seems sensible.

That said, it also seems to me that the MIDI (Mp3) is slow enough so those differences are exaggerated in unfortunate ways.

Still I appreciate the effort to put that out here. How about an abc file to save me making the effort? I know some folks who would really like it.

Hi

Attached the only Bulwers No 5 I can find in ABC

I cannot vouch for the correctness as I do not know the tune. Hope this is of use .

X:1
T:Walter bulwer's polka no. 5
M:3/4
L:1/8
K:C
d>e dB GB | dg eg eg | d2 B2 c>B | ce dB G>B | A>B A>B AB |
c^c d>e dB | GB dg eg | eg d2 B2 | c>B ce dB |
GB AD E^F | G2 G2 d>e | dB GB dg | eg eg d2 |
B2 c>B ce | dB G>B A>B | A>B AB c^c | d>e dB GB |
dg eg eg | d2 B2 c>B | ce dB GB | AD E^F G2 |
g2 e2 e2 | e2 e2 eg | ag ec Gc | Bc f>g f>g |
f>g f>g ba | gf d2 ^d2 | e2 e2 e2 | eg ag ec |
Gc Bc f>g | f>g f>g fA | G^G AB c2 | c2 e2 e2 |
e2 e2 eg | ag ec Gc | Bc f>g f>g | f>g f>g ba |
gf d2 ^d2 | e2 e2 e2 | eg ag ec | Gc Bc f>g |
f>g f>g fA | G^G AB c2 | c2 |
Regards voyager

My take says the "triplet rhythms" are indications of spots where the two notes are to be swung and the other eighth notes are to be played straight. Just a guess, but it seems sensible.

That said, it also seems to me that the MIDI (Mp3) is slow enough so those differences are exaggerated in unfortunate ways.

Still I appreciate the effort to put that out here. How about an abc file to save me making the effort? I know some folks who would really like it.

I have heard this tune played a number of times and it is the B part that is the difficult bit.The MP3 version is very useful and a great help ,but the timing of the B part is wrong and is just at the point that when I hear it played I have difficult in deciphering what is going on.I have another recording hopefully being sent to me which should sort it out and I will post the tune when my brain has got it sorted.

Al :blink:

I have heard this tune played a number of times and it is the B part that is the difficult bit.The MP3 version is very useful and a great help ,but the timing of the B part is wrong and is just at the point that when I hear it played I have difficult in deciphering what is going on.

Yep, the B part of the MP3 is completely wrong, didn't you listen to my midi file which was transcribed straight from the book?

How about an abc file to save me making the effort? I know some folks who would really like it.

Nope, not from here. I have the book and I transcribed this tune to create a midi file for Al but as it's a recently published book and the tunes were painstaking transcribed from old field recordings by our very own steve_freereeder I won't be making the abc file publically available now or ever. Steve has a massive ability for transcribing music accurately by ear and gives generously of his time and patience whenever I ask, He's also an incredibly enthusiastic musician with bags of talent, well worth getting to know!

Pete

How about an abc file to save me making the effort? I know some folks who would really like it.

Nope, not from here. I have the book and I transcribed this tune to create a midi file for Al but as it's a recently published book and the tunes were painstaking transcribed from old field recordings by our very own steve_freereeder I won't be making the abc file publically available now or ever. Steve has a massive ability for transcribing music accurately by ear and gives generously of his time and patience whenever I ask, He's also an incredibly enthusiastic musician with bags of talent, well worth getting to know!

Pete

Here is a recording of Walter Bulwer's No.5 polka which I made for a Melodeons at Witney workshop in 2011.

https://soundcloud.com/steve_freereeder/walter-bulwers-no-5-polka

Here's the ABC transcription which goes with the recording. Hope this is enough to keep you all happy. :)

Steve

X:1

T: Walter Bulwer's No.5 Polka

T:Based on the fiddle playing of Walter Bulwer

N:Source: compilation tape provided by Katie Howson during the preparation of 'Before The Night Was Out'. Also on CD "Heel and Toe', Veteran music, VT150CD. Bar lengths rationalised by Steve Freereeder to regularise Walter Bulwer's idiosyncratic playing (see BTNWO for original).

Q:1/4=116

M:2/2

L:1/8

K:G

P:A

|: "_G"d>e dB GBdg | "_C"egeg "_G"d2 B2 | "_C"c>B ce "_G"dB G>B | "_D"A>BA>B ABc^c |

"_G"d>e dB GBdg | "_C"egeg "_G" d2 B2 | "_C"c>B ce "_G"dBGB |1 "_D"ADEF "_G"G2 G2 :|2 "_D"ADEF "FINE" "_G"G2 g2 ||[K:C]

P:B

|: "_C"e2 e2 e2 eg | agec GcBc | "_F(Dm)"=f>gf>g f>g fg | "_G"bag=f d2 "_(B)"^d2 |

"_C"e2 e2 e2 eg | agec GcBc | "_F(Dm)"=f>gf>g f>g fA | "_G"G^G"_D"A"_G"B "D.C. al Fine" "_C"c2 c2 :|

W:

W:Playing order: AA BB AA

Thanks Steve.

I have heard this tune played a number of times and always in GC but never in DG .Is it to keep the Walter Bulwer's tradition ,or for some other reason?

Al

As Steve was producing it for Melodeons at Witney D/G would be the keys of the day.

Thank you Steve for making this fine tune available (of which I'm sure it will be fun with the concertina as well)!

And very nice playing in fact; albeit prefering the EC meanwhile myself it reminds me as to why I once chose the melodeon... :)