A New Year Waltz

Alan Day

A new waltz of mine for a New Year "The Abigail Waltz"

I hope you like it.

Al

I have now removed this recording as it is featured on Utube link below (P Trimming)

If however you would like an MP3 of the original just contact me with your Email address.

Edited by Alan Day

A new waltz of mine for a New Year "The Abigail Waltz"

I hope you like it.

Al

That is great Alan and thanks for posting it. I know that we play different instruments but it does give me some sort of bench mark for way in the future for me.

Ian

Luly Al! I played along and worked out some harmony and a bit of a counter melody on the last time 'round on the B part.

Just one question...Who is Abigail?

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks Mark,

Abigail is my Grand Daughter who's Birthday it is today, another little present for her.

Al

Love it!

Dots please Alan. :D

DOTS ?

I am not good at writing dots,but I will have a go.

Thanks for the positive comments,makes it worth while.

Al

I will try to come up with some dots, although I can't right now.

David you are a star.You are also a recognised star as a number have written to me hoping you will read it and offer to do the dots.

On behalf of them and myself a BIG thank you.

Al

David you are a star.You are also a recognised star as a number have written to me hoping you will read it and offer to do the dots.

Al

OK, here's what I've got:

X:1

T:The Abigail Waltz

C:Alan Day

M:3/4

K:G

D2|:"G".B2B2c2|"G#dim"d2B2G2|"Am"A2A4-|"D"A4D2|"Em".G2GF GA|"Em"B2G2D2|"Am"F6-|"D"F4D2|"C".E2E2F2|"C/E"G2F2E2|

"G"D2B4-|"Em"B4G2|1"D"A2A2A2|A2E2FG|"D"A6-|A4D2:|2"D".A2A2B2|"D"c2(3BcB AF|"G"G6-|G4|]

W:

W:Transcribed by David Barnert, 30 December 2008

Some editor's notes:

The tune seems to be just an A part, which Alan plays twice, the same but for one note: in measure 9, the 1st time he plays a half-note E and the 2nd time he plays two quarter-notes. I have notated it as two quarter-notes because that's how he plays it on the repeats (both times, making it 3 out of 4 times he plays the figure).

The cross-relation between the G natural in the melody in measure 2 and the G# in the chord is noted and reproduced faithfully. One has to assume it is intentional.

If you can't read abc notation and don't have software to interpret it, copy everything from the X: to the 2008 and paste it into the window here:

http://www.concertina.net/tunes_convert.html

Then click [submit]. You will then see a low-resolution graphic of the notes. Links above take you to how it sounds on piano [MIDI music file] and a high resolution graphic suitable for printing [PDF Sheet Music]. The [ABC source] link gives you back the notation as it appears above.

Al

OK, here's what I've got:

X:1

T:The Abigail Waltz

C:Alan Day

M:3/4

K:G

D2|:"G".B2B2c2|"G#dim"d2B2G2|"Am"A2A4-|"D"A4D2|"Em".G2GF GA|"Em"B2G2D2|"Am"F6-|"D"F4D2|"C".E2E2F2|"C/E"G2F2E2|

"G"D2B4-|"Em"B4G2|1"D"A2A2A2|A2E2FG|"D"A6-|A4D2:|2"D".A2A2B2|"D"c2(3BcB AF|"G"G6-|G4|]

W:

W:Transcribed by David Barnert, 30 December 2008

Some editor's notes:

The tune seems to be just an A part, which Alan plays twice, the same but for one note: in measure 9, the 1st time he plays a half-note E and the 2nd time he plays two quarter-notes. I have notated it as two quarter-notes because that's how he plays it on the repeats (both times, making it 3 out of 4 times he plays the figure).

The cross-relation between the G natural in the melody in measure 2 and the G# in the chord is noted and reproduced faithfully. One has to assume it is intentional.

If you can't read abc notation and don't have software to interpret it, copy everything from the X: to the 2008 and paste it into the window here:

http://www.concertina.net/tunes_convert.html

Then click [submit]. You will then see a low-resolution graphic of the notes. Links above take you to how it sounds on piano [MIDI music file] and a high resolution graphic suitable for printing [PDF Sheet Music]. The [ABC source] link gives you back the notation as it appears above.

Thank you David ,you have just saved me a Months work which would probably have been wrong at the end of it.

I really enjoyed your carefully chosen words.My arrangements are based on whether I think they sound right to me, that they are technically correct is another matter. I thought the length of the waltz was long enough ,but if the general thought is that it should have a "B" part, I can add it.

Al

Odd. The MIDI produced by the Convert-A-Matic seems to change the G in the second full measure of the melody to a G#.
You're right, Jeff. I hadn't noticed it before but on careful listening, there it is. I get the same result on my Mac using abc4mac, which has, at it's core, the same abc2midi engine that the Convert-A-Matic does. But the software I did the work in, BarFly, plays it correctly.

By the way, the reason I didn't make the A minor and D chords Amin7 and D7 was for a similar reason. When I first ran it through the Convert-A-Matic, it added major 7ths to both those chords (G# and C# respectively). So the simplest thing to do was drop the 7ths for the posted version and expect astute players to add them when appropriate.

Loverly! I can just imagine that being played to a packed house down at the old Pull & Push (Push Push)! :D

Interesting comment Dave,it seems that this tune is a cross between "Don't Jump off the Roof Dad" and "My Baby's Gawn dawn the Plug Ole" the Old Pull & Push is another to add to it.

A throw back to my early years in Clapham & Battersea standing outside the pubs listening to the old sing songs. It originally came to me as a Foxtrot and I made it into a Waltz. The Old Pull & Push dosn't do Foxtrots.

I remember being taken to The Brixton Empire where Max Miller was the Star Performer and joining in the laughter even though I was not aware of what the laughing was about.Just as well at that age. An early introduction to Music Hall.

Al