Gardener's Delight - New Tune By Chris Drinkwater

Chris Drinkwater

I recently composed this jolly jig. As I don't have any means of making a good recording of it, and posting it here, like Al Day does, the best I can do is put the tune here in ABC format. By pasting it into the Tune-O-Tron converter, you can hear what it sounds like and print off a copy of the dots. This is the basic tune and is intended to be played and ornamented how you like. You can even slow it down and play it as a waltz, if you wish! If anyone feels brave enough to learn to play it, and likes it enough to post a recording of their playing of it here, that would be great. I composed it on the EC. It would be interesting to find out what anglo players and duet players make of it. Feel free to add chords. Referring back to a comment Mike Sam Wild made recently, I hope no one recognises this tune as similar to one they know or have heard before! All feedback welcome.

Chris

X: 1

T:Gardener's Delight

R:Jig

C:Chris Drinkwater

S: Copyright Chris Drinkwater 2010

M:6/8

L:1/8

Q:250

K:G

"G"G2B"D7"A2c|"G"Bdg "C"ece|"G"dBd "D7"cAF|"G"GAB "D7"A2d|

"G"G2B"D7"A2c|"G"Bdg "C"ece|"G"dBd "D7"cAF|cAF "G"G3:|

|:"G"dBd dBd|"D7"cAc cAc|"G"BGB BGB|"D"AFE D2e|1

"G"dBd dBd|"D7"cAc cAc|"G"BGB BGB|"D7"A6:|2

"G"G2B"D7"A2c|"G"Bdg "C"ece|"G"dBd "D7"cAF|cAF "G"G3|]

Edited to correct a mistake in the B part and add chords to it.

Edited by Chris Drinkwater
  • Like 2

Simples! as the meerkat says on our TV adverts. From ABc to sound file in a few seconds flat. Now playing it in G on the C/G Anglo

Nope Chris! It's new to me. Nice tune. I like the nice Morris sound . I often go to The Gardener's Rest where Sheffield Morris go after practcie. I'll slip it in there and gauge reactions.

A question on the .abc file: Is the structure of the tune AABBCC or AABC or AABCBC? There's a |: which doesn't have a matching :| to see where the repeat is supposed to come.

Hi Larry - you are quite right, you have spotted the deliberate mistake. There should be no master repeat open sign |:, at the start of the B part. I have now removed it. The A part is 2 x 8 bars and the B part is 1 x 16 bars, making 32 bars in all, as you should hear when played back via the midi option on the Tune-O-Tron converter.

Thanks to all your kind comments about the tune. I feel inspired enough to have a go at composing another one at some point. And, Mike, you are right about the Morris feel to the tune. It's quite a 'bouncy' tune and I had had the same feel about it when I wrote and played it and could imagine the dancers doing their thing. I would be interested in the reaction you get, if and when you play it in public. Let me know!

Chris

A question on the .abc file: Is the structure of the tune AABBCC or AABC or AABCBC? There's a |: which doesn't have a matching :| to see where the repeat is supposed to come.

Hi Larry - you are quite right, you have spotted the deliberate mistake. There should be no master repeat open sign |:, at the start of the B part. I have now removed it. The A part is 2 x 8 bars and the B part is 1 x 16 bars, making 32 bars in all, as you should hear when played back via the midi option on the Tune-O-Tron converter.

Thanks to all your kind comments about the tune. I feel inspired enough to have a go at composing another one at some point. And, Mike, you are right about the Morris feel to the tune. It's quite a 'bouncy' tune and I had had the same feel about it when I wrote and played it and could imagine the dancers doing their thing. I would be interested in the reaction you get, if and when you play it in public. Let me know!

Chris

It has the same feel as Maid of the Mill a nice bouncy sway to it.

....If anyone feels brave enough to learn to play it, and likes it enough to post a recording of their playing of it here, that would be great....

Great tune, Chris. Especially the rhytmic shift of the B part's phrase in the first bars of the C part.

I like the tune enough to learn to play it, so I should be brave enough to post a (first) recording, shouldn't I. :unsure:

Just the plain tune, on an English. I do hope, others will follow.

GardnersDelight.mp3

• Like 1

....If anyone feels brave enough to learn to play it, and likes it enough to post a recording of their playing of it here, that would be great....

Great tune, Chris. Especially the rhytmic shift of the B part's phrase in the first bars of the C part.

I like the tune enough to learn to play it, so I should be brave enough to post a (first) recording, shouldn't I. :unsure:

Just the plain tune, on an English. I do hope, others will follow.

GardnersDelight.mp3

Hi Leonard

Thanks for the compliments and for your recording of the tune on your EC, for us all to hear. It's a lovely recording and your playing nicely captures essence of the plain tune as written. :)

Chris

I like this tune Chris and very much enjoyed playing it.

I hope that it's registered with the relevant copyright authorities so that if I play it at a gig you will benefit from it's citation on my set list.

(If it's not, DO IT NOW!) :D

A very handy tune I reckon and it's always great to have a nice shiny new one! Would slip in "varry canny" in a set of "Morrisy" 6/8s!

I like this tune Chris and very much enjoyed playing it.

I hope that it's registered with the relevant copyright authorities so that if I play it at a gig you will benefit from it's citation on my set list.

(If it's not, DO IT NOW!) biggrin.gif

A very handy tune I reckon and it's always great to have a nice shiny new one! Would slip in "varry canny" in a set of "Morrisy" 6/8s!

I know Morrisey is from an Irish background but I always associated him and The Smiths with more miserable tunes wink.gif

Great tune Chris. The PRS will point you in the right direction but one way of copyrighting it would be to post yourself a copy, signed, all sealed up and Recorded Delivery and never open it. Many writers do this.

Ian

Gosh, I never knew that, Ian. Thanks for that tip. You are being serious of course. You just have to remember where you put the recorded delivery envelope for safe keeping!

Chris

Here's my attempt at it: recording and score. I've added some simple bass notes. Have a feeling I played the middle section wrong, though..

GardnersDelight.mp3

I proudly succeeded in rendering that exciting rhythmic shift. And then I see that Chris edited his original post:

X: 1

T:Gardener's Delight

R:Jig

C:Chris Drinkwater

S: Copyright Chris Drinkwater 2010

M:6/8

L:1/8

Q:250

K:G

"G"G2B"D7"A2c|"G"Bdg "C"ece|"G"dBd "D7"cAF|"G"GAB "D7"A2d|

"G"G2B"D7"A2c|"G"Bdg "C"ece|"G"dBd "D7"cAF|cAF "G"G3:|

|:"G"dBd dBd|"D7"cAc cAc|"G"BGB BGB|"D"AFE D2e|1

"G"dBd dBd|"D7"cAc cAc|"G"BGB BGB|"D7"A6:|2

"G"G2B"D7"A2c|"G"Bdg "C"ece|"G"dBd "D7"cAF|cAF "G"G3|]

Edited to correct a mistake in the B part and add chords to it.

Rhythmic shift? No, just a mistake .... :huh: :blink: :wacko:

As lots of others have said, a very enjoyable tune smile.gif

Here's my attempt at it: recording and score. I've added some simple bass notes. Have a feeling I played the middle section wrong, though..

It sounds pretty good to me and the bass notes add a bit more colour. smile.gif Your link to the score didn't work for me, though. Don't know why. sad.gif

Chris