Northeast Concertina Workshop 2008

Richard Morse

How's this shaping up? I'm planning on bringing my Anglo-Chemnitzer as a curiosity, but I'll likely leave my Céilí at home if I'm going to end up roughing it.

I am looking forward to meeting people from here, learning how to play with something approaching a moderate skill, and learning how to pronounce the name of my concertina.

How's this shaping up? I'm planning on bringing my Anglo-Chemnitzer as a curiosity, but I'll likely leave my Céilí at home if I'm going to end up roughing it.

The Chemnitzer-Anglo will be fun to see, and hopefully to hear (well, I guess any Anglo player can play it, right?)

And I'll be bringing my big Hayden Duet Bandoneon, and probably leaving it at the shop for some tweaking and tuning.

I am looking forward to meeting people from here, learning how to play with something approaching a moderate skill, and learning how to pronounce the name of my concertina.

I assume you mean the Ceili :rolleyes:

At least you know the ALT codes for the accented letters, which is more than I could claim.

--Mike K.

One week to go.

It'll be so nice to get out of work for a couple of days. I've hardly had time to practice the past couple of weeks, so I know I won't impress anyone with my mad-cool concertina skillz.

But I'll have 'em when I leave, right?

The Chemnitzer-Anglo will be fun to see, and hopefully to hear (well, I guess any Anglo player can play it, right?)

Well, kinda sorta not really. The button layout is goofy, in a Chemnitzer kind of way. Single row tunes are possible, but anything across the rows is pretty hard if you're used to the 30 button Anglo layout.

Well, fate has intervened and I'll be bringing my whole collection along.

Which no longer includes the ElCheapo. That one I gave to my kids. It was noisy, at least. Giving my daughter a pennywhistle on top of that may have been cruel, but don't judge until you know the whole story.

Next year's musical gifts for the kids? Drum sets. Or bagpipes. I haven't decided yet.

Well, fate has intervened and I'll be bringing my whole collection along.

Great! We love to gather at the B. Box the Friday before, and ogle and fondle each other's boxes, and the many wares on display. Since I play only Hayden Duet, I can't do much but admire the Anglos and ECs in others' hands, but it's all worth while.

Which no longer includes the ElCheapo. That one I gave to my kids. It was noisy, at least. Giving my daughter a pennywhistle on top of that may have been cruel, but don't judge until you know the whole story.

I say the only judge here is their mother ;)

Next year's musical gifts for the kids? Drum sets. Or bagpipes. I haven't decided yet.

Spend some bux and get them a hurdy-gurdy. A cross between a fiddle and a bagpipe, in the hands of an expert it is truly inspirational. Anyone else cranking, it combines the worst of pipes and violin ... :o

--Mike K.

A most triumphant weekend!

Indeed it was! The classes, socializing, concert, and sessions were very gratifying, and a blast to boot!

My condolences to those unable to make it.

A young woman who plays Anglo in a band in Japan flew all the way just to atend the NCW and fly right back home again -- such dedication! She came away satisfied.

--Mike K.

Indeed it was! The classes, socializing, concert, and sessions were very gratifying, and a blast to boot!

My condolences to those unable to make it.

A young woman who plays Anglo in a band in Japan flew all the way just to atend the NCW and fly right back home again -- such dedication! She came away satisfied.

--Mike K.

She had an interesting style. She played something in Mr. Edgley's Irish class (which was quite good), and it was pretty, if a bit eclectic -- kind of an East/West fusion.

NWC-08-group-s.jpg

Northeast Concertina Group Photo

Quite the weekend! Check out all those smiling faces! Click here for a full-res version of this photo.

Yukiko's style is very interesting - and she's a great singer too! And a whip at picking up tunes by ear. She's the lead in Quikion and graced us with one of her band's CDs called Kaprico... which I am listening to as I write this. Check out some of the sound samples of this album here. A very interesting fusion of folk rock (Pentangle-ish), early French, oriental... plus???

Lots of high points for me at this years NCW. As much as I liked the workshop classes themselves, I really liked hanging out with the folks that came. The Button Box's Friday night open house was a nice as was the Sunday after session there. But the after-concert happenings at Bertuccios was the best. Freshly buzzing from the concert many of were mellowing out, pizza and beer and tunes. And then breaking out into the other room for more jamming, some dancing and singing... and more singing! Love it! A wonderful evening. A wonderful weekend (especially now as I'm caught up on sleep!)

-- Rich --

I had a great time. New friends include Boney from this forum who roomed right across from me at the Red Roof, so we had a chance to compare Haydens (my Wheatstone, his Wakker) right off the bat.

It was my first paid instructor gig and I learned as much as the participants did.

It was also an honor to share the stage with the seasoned pros for the evening ccncert. Many of my early influences were not only on stage, but in the audience.

A young woman who plays Anglo in a band in Japan flew all the way just to attend the NCW and fly right back home again -- such dedication! She came away satisfied.

--Mike K.

She had an interesting style. She played something in Mr. Edgley's Irish class (which was quite good), and it was pretty, if a bit eclectic -- kind of an East/West fusion.

Hi, Wintermute. Was it you whose first name is Jeff, or was that Boney? It was great to meet the faces and voices (and boxes!) behind the screen handles here.

Yes, Yukiko's band is very eclectic and interesting, with music from around the world. I got one of her CDs and played it on the 4-hour drive home. She plays very well in the ensemble, often in countermelody against a wet-tuned PA -- nice contrast.

And thanks for your close look at your Anglo with the Chemnitzer layout. I hope the History class liked it.

I'm glad I got to show off the Hayden Duet Bandoneon.

--Mike K.