Welcome To The 'tune Of The Month' Forum!

Jim Besser

Wolf, it's not Jim's job to pat anyone on the back. His responsibility is to organize the tunes and themes for each month, do the polling, create the new threads, etc. Otherwise, he's just like any other member and has the right to comment or not comment on any post, including submissions here. If you're upset that he has commented on both of my meager submissions, you should be aware of two things: 1) Jim has been trying to get me to contribute to TotM for about a year and a half - ever since I became active here again; 2) Jim and I have known each other personally for about 15 years and have played together many times, we have several dozen mutual friends in the U.S. Morris, Contra, English Country, and folk dance scene.

Your initial post on this subject really comes across as a personal attack, or at least a public shaming. It does not do you any justice and unfortunately has lowered your standing in my eyes. You state that Jim's failure to personally acknowledge your individual submissions has made you question wether you should continue with TotM. In light of that, let me ask you this: what effect do you think your public shaming of Jim has had on him? What if he no longer feels justified in organizing the Tune of the Month?

I have to say that I'd rather lose the postings of one member, no matter how enjoyable, than lose the TotM - which Jim has worked so hard to bring about.

You state that Jim's failure to personally acknowledge your individual submissions has made you question wether you should continue with TotM. In light of that, let me ask you this: what effect do you think your public shaming of Jim has had on him? What if he no longer feels justified in organizing the Tune of the Month?

Well, I believe it just might clear things, right up to your losing me as you say, but hardly endanger TOTM as my words won't be regarded as being that weighty. As mentioned I spoke out what had to be brought up as for me, assuming that a speechless retreat wouldn't have done justice to anyone. I have to take note of your disputing this attitude of mine.

I was reluctant to go into more details, and now - as I had been forced to do so - you're describing me as being upset because of anyone getting feedback. This is not the case. I was feeling unbalancedly ignored, and this was ringing a bell, louder and louder if you will. I'm not inclined to stand my ground in a hostile environment. Things had to be cleared...

This is a very personal matter, and IMO no "shaming" as you chose to call it but struggling for (better) future circumstances.

Nice couple of stories Geoff. A bit of healthy, outspoken, adverse criticism is probably of far greater value than anything that smacks of sycophancy.

Just to be on the safe side, I don't doubt that at all.

However, accompanying fellow musicians and their making progress at a place like this one might be another matter, at least at times...: not of "sycophancy" of course but positive criticism, openness to new approaches and valuing musicianship where present...