Reply box overlaid

Is it just me, or is this a general problem?

When I click "Reply" to a posting, the input box comes up with the menu bars (for font, point size, justification, etc.) right across the middle of it, covering some of the cited text. No amount of scrolling or resizing of the input box helps.

This problem cropped up suddenly yesterday.

I tried posting to a thread from my Laptop rather than my usual PC, but had the same problem. (Both under Windows Vista with Internet Explorer.) The same thing happens when I try to add a posting without citing a previous post, and when I open a new thread (like now).

Any ideas? Like how to just switch off the menu bars?

Frustrated (because there are so many fascinating threads just now ...)

John

I have to enter 13 lines before I can see what I'm typing. I'm using Windows 2000. The emoticons block the right side of the input screen while I type then the screen shortens for no apparent reason, then it widens again and the right side is once again under the emoticons.

Now when I try to preview the post, it's all under the tool bars so I get this wide space between the original and modified text.

'Tis frustrating.

Modified to correct mispelling which wasn't my fault, I just couldn't see what I was doing.

Edited by drbones

I have to enter 13 lines before I can see what I'm typing. I'm using Windows 2000. The emoticons block the right side of the input screen while I type then the screen shortens for no apparent reason, then it widens again and the right side is once again under themotins.

Interesting. For me the emoticon farm doesn't show until I click the single smiley icon in the menu bar, which is entirely above the input field. And I can close the emoticon display by either clicking on the same menubar icon or on the little "X" at the upper right of the emoticon display. What's more, when the emoticon display opens (on the right side of the input field), the rightmost boundary of the input field is pushed leftward and the wrapping of the text is adjusted so that none of the text is obscured.

FWIW: Different OS (Win XP Pro), different browser (Sea Monkey, not latest version)... not the problem.

Here are my results of further testing:

• My operating system is Windows XP Pro, with Service Pack 3.
  • With SeaMonkey version 1.1.18 as my browser, no problem with placement of either menus or the emoticon display.
  • In Firefox version 3.5.5, no problem.
  • In Microsoft Internet Explorer version 8.0..., no problem.
  • In Internet Explorer, I also tried turning on and off the "compatibility display" (via the button just to the left of the browser's refresh button), but I couldn't reproduce the reported problem with either setting.

However, the helpful hint which that button shows when I hover my mouse cursor over it says (my translation from the Danish, so your text may differ slightly):

"Compatibility display: web sites that are designed for older browsers will often look better, and problems with wrongly placed menus, pictures or text will be corrected."

Considering that description, you might try that setting, if you haven't already. Since I don't see a problem, I have nothing to fix, but since you do see a problem, maybe that switch will fix it?

When I click "Reply" to a posting, the input box comes up with the menu bars (for font, point size, justification, etc.) right across the middle of it, covering some of the cited text. No amount of scrolling or resizing of the input box helps.

I tried posting to a thread from my Laptop rather than my usual PC, but had the same problem. (Both under Windows Vista with Internet Explorer.) The same thing happens when I try to add a posting without citing a previous post, and when I open a new thread (like now).

John

It's working fine for me... I can't reproduce this problem (I'm using IE 8.06 under Vista). I've tried with RTE editor on and off. You might try clearing your cache... perhaps there is some CSS caching going on with your system that is causing a problem? Well, that's all I can think of.

Paul

Afraid I also have the same problem. As I am a complete idiot re-computers I suppose it is something I will have to learn to live with. Shame really.

Geoff

Hmmm... very strange. Let me poke around a bit, but I can't think of anything in particular that I could change that would fix it... unfortunately these fancy layout systems sites use now often create these sort of problems.

Paul

John

If someone can send me or post here a screen snapshot it might help me.

Thanks,

Paul

So, it's not just me that has the problem! I am relieved!! I was going to report it to you Paul but have no way of capturing a screen shot of it to show you. It sure does impede typing in replies when your reply box is split in two and the scrolling bar doesn't work. I hope someone finds a solution to the problem. I use Windows XP home edition and IE version 8.

Chris

So, it's not just me that has the problem! I am relieved!! I was going to report it to you Paul but have no way of capturing a screen shot of it to show you. It sure does impede typing in replies when your reply box is split in two and the scrolling bar doesn't work. I hope someone finds a solution to the problem. I use Windows XP home edition and IE version 8.

Chris

Does it do this in FireFox too? Anyone else isolate it to one browser or another? Have you tried deleting your "temporary" files?

Paul

hi

I'm using Firefox and haven't noticed an issue.

chris

edited to say that there still seems to be no issue using Firefox, both in the initial post or in this 'edit' using 'the full edit'

chris

Edited by chris

hi

I'm using Firefox and haven't noticed an issue.

chris

edited to say that there still seems to be no issue using Firefox, both in the initial post or in this 'edit' using 'the full edit'

chris

I'm also using Firefox and sometimes I get the overlay and sometimes I don't.