How To Make A Tuning Jig For Traditional Reeeds?

Correct observation. the reed is sounded with the reed side down. the foam and your fingers plus positioning make the seal. it is more difficult to sound the longer reed sometimes, but it does work. eventually i would like to make the type that has been pictured here. some long winter.. wes.

If I understand correctly what Wes describes, there would appear to be a fatal flaw in that, in order for a reed to sound, air has to be drawn through it from the tongue side, not blown through from underneath.

Now, ...a vacuum pump.....

I would stick to the bellows and plate - tried and tested :)

Cheers

Dave

I agree to get the right Sound you should move the air down into the reed.

But shouldn't the reed oscillate with the same frequency whether the air is Coming or Going for the same flow rate through the vent hole in the sound board or am I missing something?

Dan

am I missing something?

Dan

Hello Dan, you should read this article on concertina reeds. Blowing through the frame will not result in any sound at all, the reed needs to be drawn down into the frame slot in order for a note to be played. The reed tongue itself makes no sound, it is the air passing through the small gap around the tongue, between it and frame, that makes the note we hear. Blowing air through the frame would only push the reed away from the slot resulting in no sound at all.

Correct observation. the reed is sounded with the reed side down. the foam and your fingers plus positioning make the seal. it is more difficult to sound the longer reed sometimes, but it does work. eventually i would like to make the type that has been pictured here. some long winter.. wes.

Hi Dan,

The reed will only sound one way. For a good description of why this is check out this link:

http://www.concertinaconnection.com/concertina%20reeds.htm

Cheers Dave

Beaten on the draw by tallship :o)

Edited by Dave Prebble