Holiday Instrument Wish List

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, it would be all well and good if Santa brought me some instruments but as things stand I'm not entirely sure where I'd put them. I still have a lovely tuba that I need to find a home for, but every time it nearly sells it then doesn't sell... they're as much of a commitment as a good concertina, and of course muggins here bought one with an unusual valve configuration, making it that much less desirable to "normal" brass players. Ho hum. So rather than bringing me any more instruments, I'd quite like Santa to sell one for me :)

Concertina-wise, to be honest I'm very happy with what I have - though for performing purposes a spare big Maccann and a spare Jeffries duet would come in handy to cover for if/when a send-instrument-on-holiday-for-repairs spell comes round!

Oh, and I've recently developed an inexplicable craving for an autoharp - can somebody persuade me that I don't really need one? :D

Ok, lets see... my wish list for Christmas...

Well yes peace on earth, good will towards men, end to poverty, yadda, yadda, yadda :). (actually I take these very seriously... but it just seems the wrong tone for this topic :) so let the greed begin).

1. A Suttner 39 button Jefferies style concertina. Barring that, to convince Richard Morse to make that the next priority on his list after he gets the Hayden Duets in production.

2. The Marantz solid state hand held audio recorder. The perfect tool to get high quality recordings at sessions :).

3. I wouldn't say no to almost any other anglo concertina :)

hmmm, I guess that I would wish for "Santa Carroll" and his elves to deliver #32 under the tree, which would also undoubtedly please the twenty-one folks in line ahead of me when they also received their concertinas. Nothing like spreading some holiday cheer.

ooops, sorry, Greg. I guess that means you'll be working Christmas Eve building cases. :)

i couldnt agree more! i placed my order for # 35 in october so it MIGHT actually come by christmas time in 2008. wally told me 38-40 months, so maybe i will get a concertina for christmas, or maybe it will be a valentines present.

as for this year, i think i'd like to order my pre-concertina concertina, an edgley, by christmas.

Go for the mandola-- I can say from experience that it is very hard to play a duet with someone who is playing a bombarde. And playing anything by ear may be hard for the next week. :P

Larry

Since I already got myself a good concertina, I could add a mandola or bombarde for my fiancé to the wish list.
:

Well....

I've sometimes thought that I'd like to get a footbass, but, maybe I've got to get a Santa that's either very rich or....inebriated, maybe...

Someday, sure, I'd like another concertina, too, though I'm happy enough with the one I have. I don't really have a particular one in mind....I'd know it if I heard it, I guess!

Someday, sure, I'd like another concertina, too, though I'm happy enough with the one I have. I don't really have a particular one in mind....I'd know it if I heard it, I guess!

One, just one concertina? And you are happy? Shudder.. I guess it is like living life without ever tasting Chocolate... :)

--

Bill

A Bb\F would do nicely (and cut down who else joins in playing)

I can give Santa a little hand here: have a choice of two Bb/F Wheatstones. Both are 40 key Anglos. One metal ended (Octo/ 8 sided) and one wood (hex/ 6 sided). For those who are interested in an excellent 36 key C/G Wheatstone, check out my current listing on eBay. I'll make a donation to concertina.net if sold to a member of concertina.net. Happy squeezing.

Go for the mandola-- I can say from experience that it is very hard to play a duet with someone who is playing a bombarde. And playing anything by ear may be hard for the next week. :P

Larry

:D Maybe our neighbours wouldn't appreciate the bombarde either.

One, just one concertina? And you are happy? Shudder.. I guess it is like living life without ever tasting Chocolate... :)

--

Bill

Well, you know, I actually do have two -- as my husband was quick to remind me, when I started talking about getting yet another concertina, the other day. I forgot that I bought a mini-sized Stagi EC at the Squeeze-In in 2004. (It cost considerably less than the 'real' one!) I played it a bit but I need to fix the screw that holds the thumb-strap in place....yes, that's why I bought that plumber's tape....now I remember!

I guess I have no real reason to get another concertina (now, how's THAT for an advertisment for the Morse Albion English?)....it'd have to be one I really couldn't resist (and could justifiably afford). Someone once suggested that, to go better with my voice, I might want a more mellow, softer-sounding/quieter concertina, but......meh. No point in that. I'd play it wrong, for sure. (I don't think it's the concertina, it's ME.... adding that bit of over-stated brashness!)

My concertina has no air button, and every now and then I think I'd like the same concertina but with an air button. Then, I decide that that's really not an issue, anyway. I don't need to force the bellows closed to begin the next song.

Too, I have my accordion...no, that's TWO (piano) accordions.

As for chocolate....no, I could never live without that! In fact, now I'll have to go have a cup of hot chocolate!

:)

Just two accordions? I have 3 (all B/C button accordions)... and 3 concertinas... well make that 4 if I count the Stagi I lent to a friend so he could try the instrument out.

In any case, its never about need; its about pure, unadulterated greed here :). Each instrument has certain strengths and what can I say, I would like to have as many strengths covered as possible :).

This thread is fun. Except now I want chocolate. Oh well, probably cheaper than yet another instrument.

Hey, Ken, you are probably not all that far from me. Maybe we can meet up halfway for a visit.

Tubas. I have been volunteering with some autistic kids and they LOVE tubas. There is a tuba Christmas program that I am trying to get to. It is after a board meeting for a Hungarian Dance Youth Troupe and I think that I can just make it. Probably about 60 miles apart - the two thingies I want to go to on the same day.

Maybe Santa could make nifty things occur on DIFFERENT days.

I am trying to not buy any more instruments. Hm, I wonder how that will work?

Helen :)

Each instrument has certain strengths and what can I say, I would like to have as many strengths covered as possible :).

Haha, what a marvellous way of putting it. Now I never feel like I need to justify buying another instrument again!!

If you like that, how about this; certain tunes just sound better on certain instruments :). I have an old Red Paolo Soprani Clone button accordion that I rarely bring to sessions... its not my favorite instrument for jigs and reels, but with the low reed engaged it sounds absolutely marvelous for waltzes.

--

Bill