Switching Instruments and New Ailments

michael sam wild

Having nearly severed my left little finger and had microsurgerya and also having shoulder and neck pains from melodeon, fiddle and flute, I concentrated on anglo a number of years ago, since then i've got the use back on the little finger and my shoulder has defrozenn and the neck is OK. I've had a few ups and downs with the odd ganglion and shoulder pain.

i now wonde whether to take up som eof those other instruments again or to sell them off. Has anyone gone through the change to another instrument and brought back old 'war wounds'?

Not been in your position, Mike, though funnily enough, I am currently learning to play the fiddle and the flute for the first time. I would suggest you go ahead and try and persevere. You will soon know if you start experiencing any pain problems and if you do, maybe these can be resolved by appropriate therapeutic means; massage, specific exercises, etc. Let us know how you get on.

Chris

Michael, if you will forgive me, your unfortunate situation reminds me of a very funny story about making the best for a musician with a severed finger.

In 1985 at "Northern Week" at the Ashokan Fiddle & Dance Camp, the French Canadian fiddler, Leonce Gaudreault, who spoke very little English, cut off the tip of his left middle finger on kitchen duty the first day of camp. So he spent the whole week not playing and hardly speaking, with his finger bandaged. I noticed him, but had no idea who he was and what he was doing there.

Also on the first day of camp, someone made an announcement that she needed a ride into town because she had brought her car into a repair shop and the mechanic had totaled it.

Also on the first day of camp, a contest was announced: silly names for tunes. Nick Hawes promised to write a tune to the winning entry.

The winner was "You Fixed My Car and Yet You Didn't." But Nick, telling the story of Leance's accident, announced at the last dance that he opted to change the title to "You Cut Off Your Finger and Yet You Didn't" and wrote a tune that you (and particularly, Leance) could play on the fiddle without using the left middle finger. Bandages were handed out to the band, who all wrapped the appropriate finger and John Krumm called a square dance with figures like "Grand Right and Finger" (right hand to your partner, left finger to the next, etc.) and "Swing Leance" (buzz step with right hand around the front of partner's waist, left middle finger in the air).

Here's the tune:

X:1
T:You Cut Off Your Finger and Yet You Didn't
C:Nick Hawes
N:Ashokan, 1985
N:for Leonce Gaudreault
N:Note: This is a 64-bar tune.
M:6/8
K:G
P:A
E|:DGB d2e|dBe dBG|DGB dBG|e3 d3|\
  DGB d2e|dBe dBA|G2A BAG|E3 D3|
  DGB d2e|dBe dBG|DGB dBG|e3 d3|\
  a3  f3 |d3  B3 |1G3 E3 |C3 A,3:|2G3 B3|d2d ded||
P:B
|: a3-a2e|f2e d2A|BGB e2f| d3-d2d|\
  d2A A2B|G2D DED|BGB e2f|d2d ded|
   a3-a2e|f2e d2A|BGB e2f|d3-d2d|\
  eBG EGB|edB AGE|D2d DED|1G2d ded:|2G3 G2|]

In 1985 at "Northern Week" at the Ashokan Fiddle & Dance Camp, the French Canadian fiddler, Leonce Gaudreault, who spoke very little English, cut off the tip of his left middle finger on kitchen duty the first day of camp.

Are you sure this doesn't belong in the "detached pad" thread?
:ph34r:

N:Note: This is a 64-bar tune.

How many pints are we allowed in each bar?
B)

You may now return to the serious discussion.