PICA Volume 5 2008

Yesterday I received my copy of PICA and firstly well done to Allan Atlas,Roger Digby and Jon McNamara for its production.

I would like to make a few comments,firstly the article Tommy Elliott and the Musical Elliotts.This is a wonderful article by Viona Elliott,Randy Merris and Chris Algar.

Tommy Elliott was first brought to my attention by Pippa Sandford who had recently met Viona and kindly sent me the rare Radio Recording that is featured on English International,as we required a biography for Tommy I spoke to Viona ,a truly lovely lady and had a chat.She mentioned to me that she was considering selling Tommy's Concertinas,and that was how Chris Algar got involved and notified Randy ,knowing his interest in Concertina History.So Chris is not just a dealer in concertinas,but also shows a genuine interest in their history.Randy has done a truly wonderful job,he is a master, as is Dan Worrell and Stephen Chambers, of historical research and covers everything in depth far beyond any expectations.Viona's recollections of her experiences with the group and of her Father is both interesting and moving,bringing a tear to my eye on both occasions I have read it. Fantastic and thank you.

Roger Digby's contribution of a mixture of reviews with his general thoughts on the years concertina news,I hope will become a regular feature and could be expanded.We had a very interesting discussion at Bradfield ,Chaired by Roger and many interesting points were raised and a summary of this meeting added to what Roger has already contributed would be of interest to all. Roger continues to work for the concertina World behind the scenes and he is a great help to me with my projects,even though he does hit me with both barrels if he thinks I have got it wrong.His advice is very welcome.

Finally thanks to Allan Atlas on his in depth review of English Int and for his lovely comments. I know Allan enjoys a good discussion so the only thing I disagree with him on is in the "Notes " section where he states The Victorian Period is represented by one more track Harry Dunn's rather weird performance (i'm being polite) of Regondi's little masterpiece"Les Oiseaux" What's weird about it ?Two things :1) Dunn omits the piano part entirely and thus misrepresents the music and 2)he begins in part 5(obviously skipping over the four bar introduction) and ends in bar 52, the problem is that the piece as a whole is 252 bars long, so that we only have about twenty per cent of the work and we never get to hear Regondi's wistful second theme. I fully understand Allan's point of view particularly as he has the full piece recorded by Douglas Rogers.I have not got this recording, but I would like to jump to the late Harry Dunn's defence.Harry was a well respected member of the ICA ,his obvious decision was to try a play this as a solo concertina piece without piano.A traditionalist would hate it ,as I would expect you to Allan and I respect your point of view on this recording ,but if Harry turned up at a Folk Club tonight and played as well as he does on this recording he would get a standing ovation. Harry got in under the crack of the door with this piece,I did not expect it to be included ,but there was just enough room for 52 bars.

How often do we hear parts of classical music played on the concertina,snippets of the full piece.Modifications of modern tunes arranged by players for the concertina.This is not a complete disregard for the composers work, but a love for it.

We agree to disagree just on this point Allan and many thanks again for all your hard work,recordings and support.

Al

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alan

I joined last week and payed by paypal . So far I've had no acknowledgement whatsoever. Is this normal, can I expect PICA in the post?

Also, on another thread I asked if we can expect a Duet International? I know it must be a massive undertaking but go for the hat trick!

Mike

Edited by michael sam wild

I joined last week and payed by paypal . So far I've had no acknowledgement whatsoever. Is this normal, can I expect PICA in the post?

I'm surprised you've heard nothing. Suzanne doesn't usually let people hang in the air, as it were. Either try contacting her direct via membership (at) concertina.org or send me a PM with your details on and I'll forward them to her - I am also on the ICA committee.

My copy of PICA arrived in the post this morning, so I should look out for it. If it doesn't arrive soon, again PM me.

Cheers,

Chris

Also, on another thread I asked if we can expect a Duet International? I know it must be a massive undertaking but go for the hat trick!

Mike

Michael,I am currently working on Duet International and we are trying to do all three.I have about a CD of recordings in already ,but owing to the severe delays on the release of English,we are not expecting Duet to be out until about this time next year, or even a bit later.Duet players seem to be spread far and wide and I was trying to do Duet parallel with English,but it got far too complicated and I have recently started back on this project.I am not sure at this stage if it will be a three CD set, but it will follow much the same pattern as Anglo, we shall have to wait and see how it develops. I will keep you informed of it's progress.You will be pleased to hear that Tim Laycock continues to improve and has promised some Duet recordings in the New Year.

Al

Yesterday I received my copy of PICA and firstly well done to Allan Atlas,Roger Digby and Jon McNamara for its production....

Chris Algar is not just a dealer in concertinas,but also shows a genuine interest in their history.Randy has done a truly wonderful job,he is a master...Fantastic and thank you....

Roger Digby's contribution of a mixture of reviews with his general thoughts on the years concertina news,I hope will become a regular feature .....

Finally thanks to Allan Atlas on his in depth review of English Int and for his lovely comments.

Al

Alan,

I'll add my vote of thanks to all of the above too. Bravo!

It is truly amazing the amount of talent and brainpower being applied to document the history and current status of our hobby...really beyond compare as I think of other instruments with similarly relatively small numbers of current players. Add to this your own phenomenal efforts with Anglo and English International (and Stephen C's prodigious efforts at collecting historical instruments, and those efforts of other folks I neglect to mention here, many of whom are in the ICA) and the present day concertina-related literary and history scene is truly something to behold.

Cheers,

Dan

Yesterday I received my copy of PICA and firstly well done to Allan Atlas,Roger Digby and Jon McNamara for its production....

Chris Algar is not just a dealer in concertinas,but also shows a genuine interest in their history.Randy has done a truly wonderful job,he is a master...Fantastic and thank you....

Roger Digby's contribution of a mixture of reviews with his general thoughts on the years concertina news,I hope will become a regular feature .....

Finally thanks to Allan Atlas on his in depth review of English Int and for his lovely comments.

Al

Alan,

It is truly amazing the amount of talent and brainpower being applied to document the history and current status of our hobby...really beyond compare as I think of other instruments with similarly relatively small numbers of current players. Add to this your own phenomenal efforts with Anglo and English International (and Stephen C's prodigious efforts at collecting historical instruments, and those efforts of other folks I neglect to mention here, many of whom are in the ICA) and the present day concertina-related literary and history scene is truly something to behold.

Cheers,

Dan

I find PICAS,a bit stuffy, and a tad boring,its reminiscent of how the EFDSS Journal was 25 years ago,a bit anorakish.

Perhaps someone could explain to those of us who do not share the irritating obsession for abbreviation what the initials PICA stand for.

Perhaps someone could explain to those of us who do not share the irritating obsession for abbreviation what the initials PICA stand for.

Although I'm reluctant to admit I'm irritatingly obsessed, I happen to know what PICA stands for. :blink: :ph34r:

Al

Alan,

Cheers,

Dan

I find PICAS,a bit stuffy, and a tad boring,its reminiscent of how the EFDSS Journal was 25 years ago,a bit anorakish.

Rod I share your irritation and I should have put the full description

"Papers of the International Concertina Association"

Now can someone tell me what LOL means?

Lots of Love? Love of Life? Little Operation in Lancashire? Lumps of Lead?

Al

Al

Alan,

Cheers,

Dan

Al

Thanks Al. Perhaps having to guess is all part of the fun. I had long ago given up wondering what on earth LOL means !

Al

Alan,

Cheers,

Dan

Al

Thanks Al. Perhaps having to guess is all part of the fun. I had long ago given up wondering what on earth LOL means !

You sad pair, even I know that. It's short for 'laughs out loud'. Youngsters use it because they haven't got the ability to convey humour intrinsically in a sentence.

I blame the schools...

Al

Alan,

Cheers,

Dan

I was going to say something smart-alecky like 'try Google' until I tried it myself....if our PICA is there, it is buried several pages back, after 'Professional Investigators of California', 'Peace through Interamerican Community Action' and the like. Pica is also an eating disorder.

Our PICA (Papers of the International Concertina Association) is a good reason to join and support the ICA (by subtraction, International Concertina Association). You can have a look at some of the back issues of PICA for free at http://www.concertina.org/pica/index.htm

....and perhaps then join the ICA at www.concertina.org ?

Lumps of Lead :rolleyes: ,

Dan

Edited by Dan Worrall

Withal, I do like Lumps of Lead :rolleyes:

PICA .... Prepare to be bored by the true definition of the word 'Pica' which was still in use in my earlier days in the printing industry.

It was a unit of measurement originating in the good old days when typesetting was produced from individual letters of metal type (the letterpress method of printing).

Type sizes were expressed in measurements of a point, as they still are.... a point being almost exactly one seventy second of an inch (0.01383") The body (width) of an individual character of metal type which measured approximately 12 points was known as 'Pica' which was a word also used to express typographic measurements across and down the page. Pica was therefore almost exactly one-sixth of an inch.

What has all this got to do with Concertinas I hear you all saying ! Rod

Al

You sad pair, even I know that. It's short for 'laughs out loud'. Youngsters use it because they haven't got the ability to convey humour intrinsically in a sentence.

I blame the schools...

Oy! *shouts the resident youth* lol means laugh out loud....to denote amusement or sometimes sarchasum its interchangeable with emotes.

:P

PICA.....short for Picachu? ;)

Withal, I do like Lumps of Lead :rolleyes:

PICA .... Prepare to be bored by the true definition of the word 'Pica' which was still in use in my earlier days in the printing industry.

It was a unit of measurement originating in the good old days when typesetting was produced from individual letters of metal type (the letterpress method of printing).

Type sizes were expressed in measurements of a point, as they still are.... a point being almost exactly one seventy second of an inch (0.01383") The body (width) of an individual character of metal type which measured approximately 12 points was known as 'Pica' which was a word also used to express typographic measurements across and down the page. Pica was therefore almost exactly one-sixth of an inch.

What has all this got to do with Concertinas I hear you all saying ! Rod

Of course, this could be one "true" definition. As any informed ornithologist will know, "pica" is without doubt half a Magpie.

Indeed what has all this got to do with concertinas, I hear even more of you all saying!

Little old Ladies,

Carl

The internet community has corrupted this one.

Back in my university days, "LoL" was often used as an abbreviation for "Lots of Love" in (handwritten) letters. (LDT and others, look that up in your prehistory books. :lol:)

But now, alas, instead of a term of endearment, it has been degraded to a term of amusement... "laughing out loud" (or, as others have indicated, with some other conjugation of "laugh"). :(

Edited to add an apology to LDT, who, with her fondness for fashions of prior centuries, surely does know what handwritten letters are. :)

Edited by JimLucas

The internet community has corrupted this one.

Back in my university days, "LoL" was often used as an abbreviation for "Lots of Love" in (handwritten) letters. (LDT and others, look that up in your prehistory books. :lol:)

But now, alas, instead of a term of endearment, it has been degraded to a term of amusement... "laughing out loud" (or, as others have indicated, with some other conjugation of "laugh"). :(

and ROFL means Rolling On Floor Laughing