Eddie Kelly, tunes

I found this interesting info. as it is the first of two Eddie Kelly jigs Mandy Murray has on Anglo International .

http://www.cranfordp...MellickTeam.htm

The dots are in Em , the MP3 is in Dminor

Michael,

This is an amazing tune. This tune is Em, don't be fooled by the reference to Dm. Mary McNamara plays it in Dm on her CD because she is using a flat keyed concertina, but this tune is commonly played in Em.

Eilis Crean is his fiddle student and these are from her web site. She is collecting his tunes too and apparently Tim Collins is doing a thesis on East Galway styles. Eddie Kelly now lives in Roscommon. He is a friend of Paddy Fahy

http://www.eiliscrea...io_samples.html

Edited by michael sam wild

[This is an amazing tune. This tune is Em, don't be fooled by the reference to Dm. Mary McNamara plays it in Dm on her CD because she is using a flat keyed concertina, but this tune is commonly played in Em.]

famous paddy carty tune....can't remember, what key is it in on the carty recording? i thought it was flat there as well....?

[This is an amazing tune. This tune is Em, don't be fooled by the reference to Dm. Mary McNamara plays it in Dm on her CD because she is using a flat keyed concertina, but this tune is commonly played in Em.]

famous paddy carty tune....can't remember, what key is it in on the carty recording? i thought it was flat there as well....?

I should have added, "commonly played *in sessions* in Em". Éilís Crean herself plays it in Dm I think on the audio clip posted by Michael, and Brad Hurley's plays it on the flute with her. But I could bet a big $5 with you that Brad is using his C flute to play this, using an "Em" fingering.

I assumed Mary would play this in Em on a C/G concertina, but I might be wrong! I saw her a few weeks ago for a workshop, I wish I'd have asked her the question then :-)

The ideal thing to do would be to learn this tune in both keys, leaving you with the option to be session friendly or anti-social :D

I find there is an interest in East Galway playing at the moment, at least with peopleI know. I wonder why? I like the more laid back approach. I just got The Coen Brothers ) not the film makers!) the Branch Line as a CD , I had lost the LP years ago.

• 7 years later...

This is a bit of a zombie thread revival but it should perhaps be mentioned Éilís Crean has compiled a book  titled 'The Life and Music of  Eddie Kelly : the East Galway Tradition as interpreted by Eddie Kelly'  that contains all 21 of Kelly's compositions. In 2017 her recording Searbh Siúcra featured her playing these tunes.

The book was to be launched at the Feakle Festival on Thursday, I went up only to find there was no launch, without any sort of an explanation apparent. Which was a bit of a disapointment. Someone told me later Crean was delayed in her travel and the launch was postponed.

I am hoping to find out more later. While I was in Feakle I landed in a pleasant session with loads of concertina players, presided over by Michael O Raghallaigh and Catherine McEvoy. As I had traveled up I sat in there for a bit, made the trip worthwhile.

The book is out there somewhere anyway, if any of the original posters of this thread are still around and interested.